Knights of the Sky (7 Viewers)

Hey, all you WW1 aircraft freaks, who besides me can't wait for the new Jacobs tripe and Richthofen figures? More great stuff from JJD. Repeat after me, "It's only money, it's only money, it's only money,..." :wink2: -- Al

Hey, all you WW1 aircraft freaks, who besides me can't wait for the new Jacobs tripe and Richthofen figures? More great stuff from JJD. Repeat after me, "It's only money, it's only money, it's only money,..." :wink2: -- Al

I already ordered both, plus the groundcrew that is supposed to go with Von Richthoven's Triplane. I called Tim the minute I saw the photographs.:wink2:

Anyone get the Maclaren Camel yet? What is your opinion. From the photos, it looks very nice and accurate, as well. Just curious. {sm4} -- Al

Anyone get the Maclaren Camel yet? What is your opinion. From the photos, it looks very nice and accurate, as well. Just curious. {sm4} -- Al
No one has this yet? Still might be a month off yet, for me. -- Al

No one has this yet? Still might be a month off yet, for me. -- Al

I have this in my collection! Pictures don't do this piece justice. IMO it better than the Roy Brown version. It just stands out more than the first Camel.

I have this in my collection! Pictures don't do this piece justice. IMO it better than the Roy Brown version. It just stands out more than the first Camel.
Thanks, RedBaron. That's what I wanted to know. The silver nose was quite striking in the photos. It was a great "off the wall" choice to do and I look forward to getting one. But then, I want all of JJD's WW1 aircraft.^&grin -- Al

My guess is that multiples of the allied planes are not going to sell in very high numbers. They are still great, but just not enough variance/space to justify spending a couple hundred on more than one (at least for many collectors). On the German side, the different paint schemes may be a different story.

My guess is that multiples of the allied planes are not going to sell in very high numbers. They are still great, but just not enough variance/space to justify spending a couple hundred on more than one (at least for many collectors). On the German side, the different paint schemes may be a different story.
This is a good point. Basically, the RFC aircraft are all olive khaki with only slight marking variations. One looks pretty much like another. The German aircraft have a vastly larger number of interesting color schemes. Even their camo patterns varied widely from each period of the war, not to mention the personal variance in individual markings. The German aircraft are, simply, much more interesting from a color standpoint. I know that I will buy anything German because of the variations. Having said that, I would love to see the French and British aircraft all represented, as well. ^&grin -- Al

I'm just buying one of each type of plane John produces. For example, I passed on the Red Baron's DR1, because I already had one old wood K&C and 4 Heco Tinplate Fokker Triplanes in the Red Baron's markings. I pre-ordered the new black one, because I thought the color scheme and wind demon made it stand out. I have the first JJD Camel and Nieuport, so won't buy any more JJD Camels or Nieuports. I am looking forward to the next different aircraft John produces.:smile2:

I'm just buying one of each type of plane John produces. For example, I passed on the Red Baron's DR1, because I already had one old wood K&C and 4 Heco Tinplate Fokker Triplanes in the Red Baron's markings. I pre-ordered the new black one, because I thought the color scheme and wind demon made it stand out. I have the first JJD Camel and Nieuport, so won't buy any more JJD Camels or Nieuports. I am looking forward to the next different aircraft John produces.:smile2:
Understand that Louis. One can only use so many Richthofen tripes. Compare the tripes that you own and the markings (crosses) and the colors that they have, with the JJD Richthofen tripe. The JJD tripe is very accurate to the actual plane, #425/17, as modern research knows it, with the possible exception of the Fokker factory specs printed on the left side of the fuselage, right behind the cockpit. These should probably not be there, but it is a minor quibble. Be hard to beat the JJD tripe for accuracy, IMHO. On the other hand, maybe you can never have enough red triplanes.:rolleyes2: -- Al

hey, all you ww1 aircraft freaks, who besides me can't wait for the new jacobs tripe and richthofen figures? More great stuff from jjd. Repeat after me, "it's only money, it's only money, it's only money,..." :wink2: -- al

hi lancer, i am putting my foot in the water and will buy this great looking version of jacobs triplane. Maybe lothar's too

hi lancer, i am putting my foot in the water and will buy this great looking version of jacobs triplane. Maybe lothar's too
Sounds great, HAWKEYE. I'll be in on the Lothar tripe as well. JJD makes superb aircraft. -- Al

Historical sidenote: 93 years ago, April 21, 1918, Baron Manfred von Richthofen fell in action, brought down by Australian ground fire. He was 11 days short of his 26th birthday. -- Al

For those buying these planes, I'm curious if there is a maximum number you will buy? Or collecting strategy. I have three already with the black tri-plane coming. Given the space and expense I just wonder if John releases 5 or more a year what is the limit? I can see John releasing 20 or more in just a few years. Each one is going to be tempting. Particularly on the German side where colorful multiples can be made for every version.

For those buying these planes, I'm curious if there is a maximum number you will buy? Or collecting strategy. I have three already with the black tri-plane coming. Given the space and expense I just wonder if John releases 5 or more a year what is the limit? I can see John releasing 20 or more in just a few years. Each one is going to be tempting. Particularly on the German side where colorful multiples can be made for every version.

My strategy is simple: I will buy one of each type (model) of plane built, i.e.: one Sopwith Camel, one Nieuport, one Fokker DR1 TriPlane. I just wait until I see one in markings I really want, and then pounce. I will buy one of each pilot and ground crew set released, even if I don't buy a plane in the pilot's markings. For example, I passed on the Red Baron's TriPlane, but pre-ordered his figure.

My strategy is simple: I will buy one of each type (model) of plane built, i.e.: one Sopwith Camel, one Nieuport, one Fokker DR1 TriPlane. I just wait until I see one in markings I really want, and then pounce. I will buy one of each pilot and ground crew set released, even if I don't buy a plane in the pilot's markings. For example, I passed on the Red Baron's TriPlane, but pre-ordered his figure.

Interesting. Just curious why did you pass on the Red Baron's Tri? I would guess that would be at the top of the list for most.

Interesting. Just curious why did you pass on the Red Baron's Tri? I would guess that would be at the top of the list for most.

I have one K&C wood model of the Red Baron's Tri-Plane and three Heco Tinplate models of it. There are only so many Red Tri-Planes I have room to display. Plus, I thought the black version with the German wind demon was cooler.

This is a terrific thread. The WW 1 community is undergoing a tremendous renaissance in aviation models fueled in part by the John Jenkins designs and augmented by the splendid 1/32 models being made and distributed by an upstart New Zealand based firm called Wingnuts Wings. The brainchild of Harry Potter films creator, Sir Peter Jackson, Wingnuts now makes and sells close to 20 WW1 era aircraft aimed to appease the most discriminating of model builders. Where as the Jenkins designs are complete presentations of the finished product WNW's is giving the modeler a tremendous canvas to make and produce extremely accurate and detailed aircraft from the Great War including the just recently released massive twin engined German Gotha V bomber easily gaining accoldales as the 2011 model of the year. 1/32 or 54mm is the gold standard of not just toy soldiers but also model airplanes witness WNW's tremendous success on the heels of this tremendous line. WNW is also poised to release a line of pilot figurines, ground crews and other accessories and sculpture to give the line a distinct detail that provides a high quality depiction of the era. John Jenkins just adds to the overall look and I hope they continue the line with even more aircraft that adds layers of incredible history to this era. Future dioramas and depictions are going to get tremendous crossover appeal between the manufactured John Jenkins designs and the splendid artistry of Wingnut Wings to allow for perhaps the most comprehensive line out there...on par with any era and any speciality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back