Knights of the Sky (3 Viewers)

This is a terrific thread. The WW 1 community is undergoing a tremendous renaissance in aviation models fueled in part by the John Jenkins designs and augmented by the splendid 1/32 models being made and distributed by an upstart New Zealand based firm called Wingnuts Wings. The brainchild of Harry Potter films creator, Sir Peter Jackson, Wingnuts now makes and sells close to 20 WW1 era aircraft aimed to appease the most discriminating of model builders. Where as the Jenkins designs are complete presentations of the finished product WNW's is giving the modeler a tremendous canvas to make and produce extremely accurate and detailed aircraft from the Great War including the just recently released massive twin engined German Gotha V bomber easily gaining accoldales as the 2011 model of the year. 1/32 or 54mm is the gold standard of not just toy soldiers but also model airplanes witness WNW's tremendous success on the heels of this tremendous line. WNW is also poised to release a line of pilot figurines, ground crews and other accessories and sculpture to give the line a distinct detail that provides a high quality depiction of the era. John Jenkins just adds to the overall look and I hope they continue the line with even more aircraft that adds layers of incredible history to this era. Future dioramas and depictions are going to get tremendous crossover appeal between the manufactured John Jenkins designs and the splendid artistry of Wingnut Wings to allow for perhaps the most comprehensive line out there...on par with any era and any speciality.

In they are models to be assembled and painted , most of this forum body are not gonna go there or are past that:(. If they are complete as JJ or K/C, then they might be looked at.:smile2:.IMO Michael

This is a terrific thread. The WW 1 community is undergoing a tremendous renaissance in aviation models fueled in part by the John Jenkins designs and augmented by the splendid 1/32 models being made and distributed by an upstart New Zealand based firm called Wingnuts Wings. The brainchild of Harry Potter films creator, Sir Peter Jackson, Wingnuts now makes and sells close to 20 WW1 era aircraft aimed to appease the most discriminating of model builders. Where as the Jenkins designs are complete presentations of the finished product WNW's is giving the modeler a tremendous canvas to make and produce extremely accurate and detailed aircraft from the Great War including the just recently released massive twin engined German Gotha V bomber easily gaining accoldales as the 2011 model of the year. 1/32 or 54mm is the gold standard of not just toy soldiers but also model airplanes witness WNW's tremendous success on the heels of this tremendous line. WNW is also poised to release a line of pilot figurines, ground crews and other accessories and sculpture to give the line a distinct detail that provides a high quality depiction of the era. John Jenkins just adds to the overall look and I hope they continue the line with even more aircraft that adds layers of incredible history to this era. Future dioramas and depictions are going to get tremendous crossover appeal between the manufactured John Jenkins designs and the splendid artistry of Wingnut Wings to allow for perhaps the most comprehensive line out there...on par with any era and any speciality.
Very good, enthusiastic post. WW1 aviation is the best. I will, however, be sticking to the JJD aircraft as my days of building kits are long past. Still, I find WNW's site a fascinating site and I love seeing what they are bringing to the hobby. If only they had been around 30 years ago... ^&grin -- Al

I'm fairly sure that most WW 1 afficianados are become acutely aware of the Jenkins designs. Very nice but not a real depth of offerings. Perhaps down the line they will continue with more obscure aircraft. My points on WNW is to stress that you can enlist some extremely talented model builders to create one of their offerings to include even the most complex rigging that is required of most period aircraft unless you purchase the Junkers all metal J two seater design that they make as well as mind blowing photo etched machine guns that are rich minature renditions that look accurate enough to believe they could actually deliver a lethal burst. Point is they are scheduling fantastic designs of period planes that evolved into the greatest names in auto making. For example the Bristol F2B, two seater fighter is a masterpiece replete with an awesome Rolls Royce engine plus the next round of releases will include a Fokker D-7 with the splendid 185 hp overly compressed BMW engine...by far a superior fighter than the Mercedes engined variant. On the drawing board is a Sopwith Snipe powered by the terrific 230 hp Bentley BR-2 rotary and a fantastic high altitude German two seater reconnaissance aircraft, the Rumpler C-4, with either a 260 hp Mercedes or the venerable 250 hp Maybach that help set altitude records of 20,000 plus feet for the Imperial Air Service. Point is the process to make the aircraft is a work of art for John Jenkins. Enlisting a professional modeler to craft a WNW airplane besides your Jenkins designs just adds more depth, realism and accuracy to ones displays. 1/32 was such an also ran in the genre of WW1 aircraft. 1/48 scale was always the alpha male of the depictions but John Jenkins and WNW have changed that perceived stature in a hurry. The more designs and the more offerings can do nothing but make the scale and this era one of the more interesting and enriching topics.

Last edited:
Very neat. Hope to order mine tomorrow. Really looking forward to it. -- Al
Got my Jacobs Fokker yesterday and am very pleased with it, as I knew I would be. Haven't been disappointed yet. The Richthofen tripe and the Jacobs tripe look great on the shelf together and I am just waiting for the Richthofen figure (and Jacobs down the line?) to complete the set-up. I am very interested to see what is next in line from JJD in the way of aircraft. Would love to see the Lothar von Richthofen tripe but another tripe so soon might be unrealistic. I'll be thrilled with whatever comes out though. -- Al

Got my Jacobs Fokker yesterday and am very pleased with it, as I knew I would be. Haven't been disappointed yet. The Richthofen tripe and the Jacobs tripe look great on the shelf together and I am just waiting for the Richthofen figure (and Jacobs down the line?) to complete the set-up. I am very interested to see what is next in line from JJD in the way of aircraft. Would love to see the Lothar von Richthofen tripe but another tripe so soon might be unrealistic. I'll be thrilled with whatever comes out though. -- Al

I got mine as well. Looks great. I think John might help us out here by listing the upcoming releases. That way we can pick and choose which version to buy instead of guessing about the possibilities or risk passing on a version which then sells out. These WWI planes are unique because he can make multiple versions of the same plane and they take up a lot of space. It's hard to make decisions about which ones to buy when we have no idea about upcoming releases.

I got mine as well. Looks great. I think John might help us out here by listing the upcoming releases. That way we can pick and choose which version to buy instead of guessing about the possibilities or risk passing on a version which then sells out. These WWI planes are unique because he can make multiple versions of the same plane and they take up a lot of space. It's hard to make decisions about which ones to buy when we have no idea about upcoming releases.
It would be nice.:smile2: -- Al

Thought I would supply some info on the cross insignia on the top of the LOWER wing on the Jacobs tripe. This additional cross was added by a few of the pilots as a measure of extra identification, not for the enemy, but as protection from other German flyers. At the time the Fokker tripe was introduced, the British (mostly Naval squadrons) had been flying the Sopwith Triplane for a while. The Sopwith was the first tripe at the front and therefore the triplane became identified as an Allied type. With the introduction of the Fokker tripe, friendly fire became a problem for the German pilots for a while, so some of the pilots added extra ID, as the Jacob markings while others (such as Paul Baumer) added a further cross to the top of the tails horozontal stabilizer. This ID problem cut both ways as many Allied aircraft were shot down by Fokker tripes when allowed to approach Allied aircraft because the Allied pilot thought they were Sopwiths. -- Al

My old collecting mantra was "You can never have too many Tiger tanks". This has been replaced by my new mantra, "You can never have too many Fokker Triplanes".^&cool^&cool^&cool -- Al

JJD has just announced the Lothar von Richthofen tripe and figure for release in June. Both look outstanding. The plane looks to be very accurate, although I would like to see the color for the underside, which should be a light turquoise blue in color. Just as some info on Lother's pick of the color yellow for his aircraft, it was the color of his former cavalry regiment. This was a common habit amongst the German fliers who had been cavalrymen prior to their move to the Air Service. I look forward to getting my hands on this new Fokker and figure. It will look great with his brother's tripe and figure (and dog). -- Al

JJD has just announced the Lothar von Richthofen tripe and figure for release in June. Both look outstanding. The plane looks to be very accurate, although I would like to see the color for the underside, which should be a light turquoise blue in color. Just as some info on Lother's pick of the color yellow for his aircraft, it was the color of his former cavalry regiment. This was a common habit amongst the German fliers who had been cavalrymen prior to their move to the Air Service. I look forward to getting my hands on this new Fokker and figure. It will look great with his brother's tripe and figure (and dog). -- Al

It looks great. I wonder if John will close the circle with Wolfram von Richthofen's green triplane? WvR also was in the Condor Legion - so he could follow up with that and even WWII. btw: I notice that LvR's cap has a yellow band around it similar in color to his plane. Is that accurate?

It looks great. I wonder if John will close the circle with Wolfram von Richthofen's green triplane? WvR also was in the Condor Legion - so he could follow up with that and even WWII. btw: I notice that LvR's cap has a yellow band around it similar in color to his plane. Is that accurate?
Wolfram's tripe would make a neat little trio. The cap band color is correct as it was the color of Lothar's former cavalry regiment, thus also his triplane color. -- Al

Rivet counter alert! The new JJD Lothar von Richthofen Fokker Triplane #454/17, while accurate in paint scheme, has incorrect cross markings. The cross pattern should be the earlier Maltese cross (Cross Patee). LvR was injured on March 13, 1918, when the upper wing of #454/17 collapsed in combat. The tripe was seriously damaged and probably written off in the resulting crash. Photos of the crashed tripe show the Maltese cross pattern on the craft, with the thin white outline. Triplane #454/17 never carried the straight edge cross. It was destroyed March 13, 1918, before the order of March 17, 1918 came down to change the cross from the Maltese to the straight edge design on German aircraft. It is an unfortunate marking error but not one that will keep me from buying the model. Perhaps it can be corrected before leaving the factories. -- Al

Some interesting discussion here about the color of LvR's triplane. Even the experts disagree: http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/art/34359-lothar-von-richthofens-triplane.html

Great footage: http://resources.ushmm.org/film/display/detail.php?file_num=3353
The site is a good one. Lots to learn. As to the subject, there is lots of room for speculation on WW1 aircraft colors, especially German planes. Some claim that LvR top wing was factory camo; some claim it had a light wash of yellow with the camo showing through; some claim the yellow was very prominent. All that means is there is leeway for color schemes and that one pick is as reasonable as another, as far as available research allows. The JJD scheme, if crosses are corrected, is a good choice as a color scheme, and the more colorful selection. I like it. Color scheme speculation is one of the great joys (!) of WW1 aviation research. The Voss cowling color controversy and the Udet Fokker D-7 upper wing stripping color controversy have been going for ever. Was Voss' cowling factory green or was it yellow? Was Udet's wing red and white stripes or black and white? Take a pick. One is just as likely to be correct as the other and unless some undiscovered written record appears, the controversies are likely to stay unresolved. But it is fun to speculate, as long as research and common sense are applied. -- Al

The site is a good one. Lots to learn. As to the subject, there is lots of room for speculation on WW1 aircraft colors, especially German planes. Some claim that LvR top wing was factory camo; some claim it had a light wash of yellow with the camo showing through; some claim the yellow was very prominent. All that means is there is leeway for color schemes and that one pick is as reasonable as another, as far as available research allows. The JJD scheme, if crosses are corrected, is a good choice as a color scheme, and the more colorful selection. I like it. Color scheme speculation is one of the great joys (!) of WW1 aviation research. The Voss cowling color controversy and the Udet Fokker D-7 upper wing stripping color controversy have been going for ever. Was Voss' cowling factory green or was it yellow? Was Udet's wing red and white stripes or black and white? Take a pick. One is just as likely to be correct as the other and unless some undiscovered written record appears, the controversies are likely to stay unresolved. But it is fun to speculate, as long as research and common sense are applied. -- Al

I think it highlights that there is guesswork for these planes. We will never know in every instance that they are 100% correct. There is even debate about MvR's red triplane. One of the most famous planes in aviation history. Amazingly a lot is unknown about it and few or no actual pictures exist before it crashed. It seems strange to me that the Germans didn't take more pictures of these planes. Even so, the b&w quality of the pictures that do exist leave a lot to the imagination when it comes to color schemes. The mistake you caught though is an avoidable one. It would interesting to hear John's take on that. btw: I came across a picture of a reconstructed LvR triplane that has similar markings. I wonder if that's where John was tripped up: http://www2.airliners.net/photo/Fokker-DR-1-Triplane/1260691/

I think it highlights that there is guesswork for these planes. We will never know in every instance that they are 100% correct. There is even debate about MvR's red triplane. One of the most famous planes in aviation history. Amazingly a lot is unknown about it and few or no actual pictures exist before it crashed. It seems strange to me that the Germans didn't take more pictures of these planes. Even so, the b&w quality of the pictures that do exist leave a lot to the imagination when it comes to color schemes. The mistake you caught though is an avoidable one. It would interesting to hear John's take on that. btw: I came across a picture of a reconstructed LvR triplane that has similar markings. I wonder if that's where John was tripped up: http://www2.airliners.net/photo/Fokker-DR-1-Triplane/1260691/
Not a bad reconstruction. Pretty accurate except for the crosses. I don't know why the cross error occurs. There are readily available photos of #454/17's crash that show the plane and the Maltese crosses from different angles. Before anyone gets the idea that LvR's tripe would have been repaired and flown again, with the straight cross pattern, it would not have happened. LvR was injured in the crash on 3-13-18 that wrecked #454/17 and was out of action until mid-July, 1918. On his return, LvR got a Fokker D-7, which now equipped the Jasta's, not a rebuilt triplane. As you pointed out, the colors are often open to interpretation because it is very difficult to determine correct color schemes from b/w photos. Different film produce different tonal values, so written testimony and other written sources such as official reports and observations are necessary to fill in gaps. Quite honestly, I think the pilots and crews just had more important things on their minds than the recording of aircraft color schemes. The Red Baron's aircraft color has always been the subject of discussion as the red paints used would have varied in shade and quality on the different aircraft he flew. MvR flew a lot of different aircraft and it is probable only his last one, Fokker Triplane #425/17, was entirely red. WW1 aircraft color discussions can be a black hole. -- Al

Can we rule out that the 454/17 was rebuilt but flown by someone other than LvR? I'm not saying that happened, but I poked around the net and couldn't find an answer. My guess is it's just a mistake, but it would be nice to know for sure. It does not seem to be an uncommon practice for pilots to fly several different planes depending on availability.

Can we rule out that the 454/17 was rebuilt but flown by someone other than LvR? I'm not saying that happened, but I poked around the net and couldn't find an answer. My guess is it's just a mistake, but it would be nice to know for sure. It does not seem to be an uncommon practice for pilots to fly several different planes depending on availability.
Must concede, anything is possible. I just don't think #454/17 would have been or could have been rebuilt. It was pretty well wrecked. Even if rebuilt and re-issued, it would have been repainted to the new "owner's" specs. LvR got the D-7 on return to duty and I assume, lacking evidence to the contrary, that he never returned to the triplane. But it is within the realm of possibility that LvR, being who he was, had access to triplanes after his 7-18 return, just not #454/17. -- Al

Some Lothar von Richthofen info for those who care: Assigned to Jasta 11 on 3/6/17. At front for 69 days and claimed a 24 victories in combat on 18 different days. Aircraft flown Albatros D fighter. Wounded in action on 5/13/17. Back to Jasta11 on 9/24/17 for 171 days during which he claimed 5 victories on 4 different days. Flew Fokker tripe and Albatros during this period. Wounded in action on 3/13/18 (was in Fok. #454/17 when he crashed). Was in recovery when brother Manfred is KIA. Returns to Jasta11 on 7/19/18. In action for 26 days, claiming 11 victories on 6 different days, flying Fokker D-7. Wounded in action on 8/13/18 and put out of war for good. LvR totalled 40 victories on the 28 days he made claims. I believe he had 77 total days in the air while at the front over his 3 stints of duty. His victories came in a relatively brief period, in total. He was a very aggressive fighter pilot who didn't worry too much about tactics or his safety. A curious point is that all 3 of his woundings occurred on the 13th day of the month, 5/13/17, 3/13/18, and 8/13/18. He did become concerned about flying on the 13th! -- Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back