Knights of the Sky (5 Viewers)

Al: Gotha=77 feet wingspan, AEG= 60 feet, Bristol F2B= 39 feet, Halberstadt CL lV=35 feet. So the AEG is a third wider than a Brisfit. My point is two seaters add to the look with the fighters but the twin engined types are worth a look too.Just hope that the line expands and is not comprised of the usual Fokker DR 1, D-7, SPAD, Nieuport,Sopwith Camel, SE5a, Bristol and Albatross. There is lots of other fighters to do as well as compelling two seaters and bombers.

Al: Gotha=77 feet wingspan, AEG= 60 feet, Bristol F2B= 39 feet, Halberstadt CL lV=35 feet. So the AEG is a third wider than a Brisfit. My point is two seaters add to the look with the fighters but the twin engined types are worth a look too.Just hope that the line expands and is not comprised of the usual Fokker DR 1, D-7, SPAD, Nieuport,Sopwith Camel, SE5a, Bristol and Albatross. There is lots of other fighters to do as well as compelling two seaters and bombers.
I agree. I have a weakness for some of the lesser aircraft such as the Taube, Aviatiks (German and A-H), the BE2 series, and a lot of others, including the huge Gotha{eek3}. Having said that, I would also love to see US marked Nieuport 28's and DH-4's:redface2:. -- Al

I'd like to have Rickenbacker's SPAD. I'm sure alot of US collector's would as well.

I'd like to have Rickenbacker's SPAD. I'm sure alot of US collector's would as well.
Agree. It would be a must have. Would also like to see Frank Luke's SPAD and Lufbery's French SPAD.^&grin -- Al

I wonder how long the delay will be on the LvR triplane?

I don't know how I missed this interesting fact: to this point JJD has done or will have done, three German aircraft and aces and three Allied aircraft and two of the three pilots to them. The interesting fact is that all three of the Allied aircraft and aces are Canadian. No British or French so far. What is the Canadian connection here? The English, Irish, Australian, South African, etc. are going to start an investigation into this, I fear.:wink2:^&grin -- Al

I don't know how I missed this interesting fact: to this point JJD has done or will have done, three German aircraft and aces and three Allied aircraft and two of the three pilots to them. The interesting fact is that all three of the Allied aircraft and aces are Canadian. No British or French so far. What is the Canadian connection here? The English, Irish, Australian, South African, etc. are going to start an investigation into this, I fear.:wink2:^&grin -- Al

^&grin I believe, John is from Canada. That might be the reason for all the Canadians appearing first on the Allied side.
Konrad

^&grin I believe, John is from Canada. That might be the reason for all the Canadians appearing first on the Allied side.
Konrad

I think John is originally from Wales, but is a Canadian citizen who lives in China. He gets around!

Gentlemen, thank you for solving the mystery of the Canadian connection. National pride is very understandable. The Canadians contributed an enormous amount to the Allied cause and their pilots were amongst the best in the skies, with Bishop leading the list of Allied aces. 4 of the top 10 British Empire aces were Canadian. Bishop was #1 with 72 victories; Raymond Collishaw #2 with 62; MacLaren was #6 with 54 and William Barker #7 with 50. In fact, the Canadians had 8 of the top 20 scorers. Of the 79 British and Empire fliers that claimed 20 or more victories, the British had 38 aces with the Canadians being second with 21 aces, by far the most of the Empires. A shining record for Canada and it's war effort and a record for John Jenkins and all other Canadians to take just pride in. {bravo}} -- Al

Forgot to mention getting Ace04 F2137
and preordered Maclaren
Also preordered Ace05 and the ambulance
and the canadian nurses coming with the ambulance (right JJ )
Maple Leaf

After much delay do to "real life" commitments, I was able to take possession of the MacLaren Camel today. I am pleased with it. Very good detail, just like the Brown Camel and a very good paint job. Like the natural metal color nose and flight leader streamers on the struts. The thing that catches my eye the most is the outstanding weathering that JJD does to these craft. WW1 aircraft were linen covered with engines (especially the rotary) that threw oil and grease everywhere. The aircraft were thus pretty dirty and the weathering does a great job of portraying this grime. The one thing I don't care for is the slight upwards bow in the upper wing on this model. The upper wing on the Camel was straight when viewed from the front or rear, edge on. It might just be a quirk of my particular model, though. At any rate, it is not pronounced enough for me to throw a hissy-fit. It is a fine model and I am quite happy to have finally been able to get it. -- Al

Anyone got inside info, or an educated guess, as to what the next JJD WW1 aircraft, after the yellow tripe, might be? A possibility might be an Albert Ball Nieuport 17, if JJD sticks with aircraft molds already made. -- Al

Anyone got inside info, or an educated guess, as to what the next JJD WW1 aircraft, after the yellow tripe, might be? A possibility might be an Albert Ball Nieuport 17, if JJD sticks with aircraft molds already made. -- Al

John has been conservative so far with his choices. Going with well-known planes instead of riskier choices. The price may be a factor in that strategy. If that pattern continues, then I'm guessing we get a SPAD or several variations of the Albatross or D.VII for the Germans. It would be nice to get a Austro-Hungarian plane, but they may not be large sellers. I'm sure John will get in a surprise or two along the way. Something like the Eindecker could be a real winner.

John has been conservative so far with his choices. Going with well-known planes instead of riskier choices. The price may be a factor in that strategy. If that pattern continues, then I'm guessing we get a SPAD or several variations of the Albatross or D.VII for the Germans. It would be nice to get a Austro-Hungarian plane, but they may not be large sellers. I'm sure John will get in a surprise or two along the way. Something like the Eindecker could be a real winner.
Agree. Think we will see the famous fighters first. There are dozens of choices in the ace categories that flew the famous fighters such as the Albatros, D-VII, SPAD, SE-5, before JJD even has to think about more unusual picks. Like the Eindecker idea (Immelmann, Boelcke, Wintgens?). Rigging will be an interesting challenge on the Eindecker or SPAD, much less so on the D-VII. The A-H aircraft idea is a cool one. The star-strutter would be a real unusual choice.:wink2: -- Al

Just got to thinking, that since JJD has done a Nieuport 17 and already has the molds, maybe an "off the wall" subject could be done. An aircraft like Francesco Baracca's 91 Squadron N-17 from summer 1917 on the Italian front. It is a silver craft with the Italian tri-color under wing colors and a rearing horse emblem on the sides. Would be a very interesting choice. Or perhaps a Russian front N-17 from one of the Corps Detachments, like the 11th or 19th in 1917. These were silver finish aircraft and had some very creative and colorful emblems such as a white skull and crossbones or white witch skull on black color tails. Some of the craft had Russian words in large letters or orange and black striped pennants on the sides. Again, unusual and colorful. Just a thought, although I'm sure more famous craft from the Western nations are due first.:wink2: -- Al

Has anyone purchased the Lothar von Richthofen triplane and taken delivery? I have one on the way but was wondering if there were some critiques to be had. I have real high expectations on this one. The pics just look fantastic. I am real interested to see the underside blue color. How about the WW1 ambulance? Anyone? -- Al

Has anyone purchased the Lothar von Richthofen triplane and taken delivery? I have one on the way but was wondering if there were some critiques to be had. I have real high expectations on this one. The pics just look fantastic. I am real interested to see the underside blue color. How about the WW1 ambulance? Anyone? -- Al

Yes I just got mine. It is my first John Jenkins. It is the most detailed and realistic model I have ever purchased. The weathering is very good. The only flaw is I wish they had a better looking box to store it in. Other than that it's very amazing. The Lothar figure is incredible too.
The underside is a light blue, seems accurate. I have only seen this type of color on a 109 (WW2 of course) in person so I'm not sure if how accurate it is on this DR1. Looks right on though. I'm very happpy with the model. Just be careful with it. Very delicate for sure.
Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back