Knights of the Sky (6 Viewers)

My 2 cents is that I have always been a big sucker for anything WW1 aircraft. I grew up as a kid reading all the books available at that time. I confess to not being a real detail or rivet guy and mostly buy because they look cool. ( grew up a glossy collector :redface2:) I am so conflicted about buying this next generation of planes being offered. I have some Heco's tin stuff now and have tried to be loyal to them. I also believe my WW1 collector habits tend toward gloss and have glossed many matte offerings to make them fit in. But I am weakening with JJ planes and armored cars as well as the K/C stuff. Let's face it, Heco ( except for Louis )is near impossible to find and cost more than the new products. And then there is that $180 - $190 price tag for the new planes . I want them all and what do I sacrifice to create my new air force? And then, do I choose to gloss them....I hate to be me, some days...Michael
Sounds like me. Grew up loving WW1 airwar and while it has gone dormant from time to time, I always return to my first love, Fokkers and Spads.^&coolI too love the current crop of WW1 1/30 aircraft and have managed to get all the JJD aircraft and while I love glossy WW1, I also think the matte, realistic JJD aircraft are the best thing going. I am going to get one of the new KC Albatros to compare and contrast but the styles are different. It is possible that I will end up pursuing both lines but I am never going to drop the fantastic JJD line in any event. The JJD aircraft are just that good. The current WW1 aircraft lines are my childhood dream come true, and I could not be happier. -- Al

Sounds like me. Grew up loving WW1 airwar and while it has gone dormant from time to time, I always return to my first love, Fokkers and Spads.^&coolI too love the current crop of WW1 1/30 aircraft and have managed to get all the JJD aircraft and while I love glossy WW1, I also think the matte, realistic JJD aircraft are the best thing going. I am going to get one of the new KC Albatros to compare and contrast but the styles are different. It is possible that I will end up pursuing both lines but I am never going to drop the fantastic JJD line in any event. The JJD aircraft are just that good. The current WW1 aircraft lines are my childhood dream come true, and I could not be happier. -- Al

I would love to see pushers and an attempt at a 2 seater. Michael

I would love to see pushers and an attempt at a 2 seater. Michael
So would I but those start to get on the large side and the pushers have complicated rigging schemes. That said, I would like to see Lanoe Hawker's DH-2. That would be an excellent and unusual set. -- Al

I got my WWI Ambulance today. Its a little smaller than I imagined it would be, but is very nicely done.^&cool^&cool

I got my WWI Ambulance today. Its a little smaller than I imagined it would be, but is very nicely done.^&cool^&cool
I have heard about the size from another collector. Does it look in scale when putting a 1/30 figure next to it? I'm not at all familiar with WW1 vehicle sizes. Maybe the ambulance is just a small vehicle. -- Al

I have heard about the size from another collector. Does it look in scale when putting a 1/30 figure next to it? I'm not at all familiar with WW1 vehicle sizes. Maybe the ambulance is just a small vehicle. -- Al

Model T chassis was used. Might not be that big in real life...Michael

Attachments

• 12703.jpg
    12703.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 276
Model T chassis was used. Might not be that big in real life...Michael

Michael mate,
I purchased two because I loved the photos. But on opening the box on arrival I must say I was very disappointed with the size. If you place one of John's pilot beside it, he is as tall as the canopy on the vehicle whereas in your original photo you can see that there is a fair distance between the top of the bloke head to the top of the canopy.
In my five years of collecting, rivet counting, complete historical accuracy and scale have not normally worried me, but on placing this vehicle in the showcase beside either my JJD planes or AFVs it just does not look right. It gives the impression of about 1/35th scale and the pilot would have difficulty lying full length in the back let alone the driver getting behind the wheel.
Must say though a beautiful "little" vehicle.
Cheers Howard

Michael mate,
I purchased two because I loved the photos. But on opening the box on arrival I must say I was very disappointed with the size. If you place one of John's pilot beside it, he is as tall as the canopy on the vehicle whereas in your original photo you can see that there is a fair distance between the top of the bloke head to the top of the canopy.
In my five years of collecting, rivet counting, complete historical accuracy and scale have not normally worried me, but on placing this vehicle in the showcase beside either my JJD planes or AFVs it just does not look right. It gives the impression of about 1/35th scale and the pilot would have difficulty lying full length in the back let alone the driver getting behind the wheel.
Must say though a beautiful "little" vehicle.
Cheers Howard

I had hopes about the armored cars, but until I see them in the flesh and size them up, I cannot take the chance..Michael

I had hopes about the armored cars, but until I see them in the flesh and size them up, I cannot take the chance..Michael

The tanks and armored cars appear to be properly scaled compared to the figures. I have 4 tanks and the Lancia Armored car, as well as all of the commander figures released to date, and they look great together. The ambulance, however, just plain looks too small. It is still very nice, though.

^&grin
The tanks and armored cars appear to be properly scaled compared to the figures. I have 4 tanks and the Lancia Armored car, as well as all of the commander figures released to date, and they look great together. The ambulance, however, just plain looks too small. It is still very nice, though.

Louis mate,
Totally agree. I also have all John's AFVs, crews, Planes and pilots. As I mentioned before the ambulance just doesn't sit right with any of them.
Hope you have your drinking shoes on for Chicago cobber.^&grin^&grin
Cheers Howard

^&grin

Louis mate,
Totally agree. I also have all John's AFVs, crews, Planes and pilots. As I mentioned before the ambulance just doesn't sit right with any of them.
Hope you have your drinking shoes on for Chicago cobber.^&grin^&grin
Cheers Howard

You bring your whiskey throat, and I'll be ready . . . :wink2:

Hi all. Go to Google and enter Ford Model T WW1 Ambulance. Bunch of different stuff comes up, including a YouTube video of a running, rebuilt ambulance. There are several visuals to compare sizes. IMO, the real McCoy looks really small. The pictures might help in deciding if the JJD model is too small or not. -- Al

I just sent Brad a photo of my JJD Ambulance next to one of the pilot figures, with a polite request that he post it on this thread, so you can compare the scale to the photos of the real thing. It still looks just a bit too small to me.

I received the LvR plane today and it's the best of bunch. The newest one is always the favorite! The bad news is that I'm officially running out of space. I would go for at least one of the KC planes except for the space issue and the expectation that John may release the Albatros.

I received the LvR plane today and it's the best of bunch. The newest one is always the favorite! The bad news is that I'm officially running out of space. I would go for at least one of the KC planes except for the space issue and the expectation that John may release the Albatros.
Agree with that. I love the LvR tripe. It is a very colorful combination and looks really good with the other tripes on the shelf. I'm also all but out of room, so I don't think I'll be getting but one of the KC Albatros. I think the KC bird is a totally different style (pristine vs. the JJD realistic) but I will get the one just to compare. I will be continuing my JJD collection as the primary line because I prefer the more realistic and delicate lines of the JJD models. The JJD model, IMHO, is the superior model in that it catches the thin cross sections of the wings and struts much better than the KC offering, which is too thick by comparison. Come on Spads and D-VII's.^&grin -- Al

I just sent Brad a photo of my JJD Ambulance next to one of the pilot figures, with a polite request that he post it on this thread, so you can compare the scale to the photos of the real thing. It still looks just a bit too small to me.

Here are the photos :smile2:

John 3.JPG

John 1.JPG

John 2.JPG

First reaction is that the ambulance is one neat looking vehicle. Second reaction is that it does look too small when the Brown figure is put next to it. Hard to explain unless either the vehicle or figure are wrong in scale. My guess is that since a vehicle or aircraft have known dimensions which can be converted to proper scale and a figure can be subjective in height, (scale or not), the figure is likely too tall and too husky for correct scale. This is just my impression but it is one I had formed about the JJD pilot figures when next to the JJD aircraft. I believe the figures are just a bit too large for proper scale, but it is rather subjective and not off-putting. This conclusion is not just a wild hair on my part but comes from having studied and compared a large number of available WW1 aircraft photos with personel along side the various aircraft. Still, it is just my opinion. -- Al

Anyone know the exact dimensions of the 1918 ambulance? It should be easy enough to compare by measuring the model. Just looking at the pictures, the JJ version does seem small particularly as to the height. Most pictures I've seen indicate that the head of a person standing next to it will not reach the top. So over 6 feet in height. The size of the ambulance was apparently increased between 1917 and 18. Maybe that is a factor.

Attachments

• model-t-ambulance1.jpg
    model-t-ambulance1.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 1,177
Last edited:
Anyone know the exact dimensions of the 1918 ambulance? It should be easy enough to compare by measuring the model. Just looking at the pictures, the JJ version does seem small particularly as to the height. Most pictures I've seen indicate that the head of a person standing next to it will not reach the top. So over 6 feet in height. The size of the ambulance was apparently increased between 1917 and 18. Maybe that is a factor.

Just based on the photo you have posted here, I would think the scale may be right on. The ambulance driver depicted is slouching against the ambulance, yet his head reaches the cloth canopy over the driver's compartment. If he were standing straight up, and if you factor in the base under the JJD pilot figure, I think the height of the figure in comparison to the model ambulance would not be too far off the height of the real driver/real ambulance as depicted here. Apparently the ambulance was tiny in real life. I wonder how many casualties were commonly placed inside . . . I doubt if more than two would have fit, probably only one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back