Large price differences between brands (2 Viewers)

NielsVV

Private
Hello,

I collect mainly toy soldiers from K&C, but I've got also some soldiers of collectors showcase. I was browsing on the webshop of treefrog to look to other brands like figart, first legion and Thomas Gunn.
They all make stunning figures but why are the prices so different?

For example the thomas gunn kettenkrad (SS026C) costs only $99 versus first legion bmw R75 (GERSTAL039) wich costs $229.

What is so special to this bmw, beyond the fact that I want one? ^&grin

Thanks,

Niels

Ps. I don't want to start a war here for which brand is better than the other.

Neils,

The short answer is the First Legion sets are painted to a higher standard - meaning they look more realistic due to additional use of highlights and shading variation - and the sculpts typically have more detail than a less expensive set from another manufacture.

Donnie

Sets across the board for manufacturers are not really all that far apart no matter who makes them. I can see why the difference in price between the two items you mention for the reasons stated.

the question I am interested in is how a Panzer III and Blitz truck be the same price and, a motorcycle be so close behind these in terms of cost???? Why is their no real differentiation in cost from a large tank to a truck to a motorcycle and sidecar???
Mitch

Neils,

The short answer is the First Legion sets are painted to a higher standard - meaning they look more realistic due to additional use of highlights and shading variation - and the sculpts typically have more detail than a less expensive set from another manufacture.

Donnie

FL sets are sculpted in Russia and as the sculpts are better that factors into the price. When comparing TG and FL you're comparing apples and oranges.

Unfortunately, I can see this thread going downhill quickly as the anti FL'ers and argumentative people say their piece.

Brad

Its a simple question I asked and, see no reason why anyone should take offence or, say its anti FL. Dont know why we need the derail or end in fight speech as a caveat. That caveat is more of a red rag to a bull sometimes than the thread is supposed to be as it seems to highlight its going to happen and brings the wrong comments
Mitch

FL sets are sculpted in Russia and as the sculpts are better that factors into the price. When comparing TG and FL you're comparing apples and oranges.

Unfortunately, I can see this thread going downhill quickly as the anti FL'ers and argumentative people say their piece.

Brad

I wasn't referring to you Mitch. No need to get self conscious.

Brad

Sets across the board for manufacturers are not really all that far apart no matter who makes them. I can see why the difference in price between the two items you mention for the reasons stated.

the question I am interested in is how a Panzer III and Blitz truck be the same price and, a motorcycle be so close behind these in terms of cost???? Why is their no real differentiation in cost from a large tank to a truck to a motorcycle and sidecar???
Mitch

In full disclosure , I did buy a FL figure DAK005 because i wanted to see one in person...I do agree that the figure itself is more crisp or defined so to say...But , i was thinking the same thing Mitch just posted when looking @ their product...Why would a Pz 3 be the same price as an Opel ? Not to mention why a Motorcycle/combo nearly as much as a Pz 3 ?

Joe

In full disclosure , I did buy a FL figure DAK005 because i wanted to see one in person...I do agree that the figure itself is more crisp or defined so to say...But , i was thinking the same thing Mitch just posted when looking @ their product...Why would a Pz 3 be the same price as an Opel ? Not to mention why a Motorcycle/combo nearly as much as a Pz 3 ?

Joe

As a guess, it's a pricing strategy. The production costs have risen over the last 3 years and also must be different for each AFV but it appears FL doesn't want to go over $300 in price. A price over $300 could reduce sales. They may be accepting reduced profit on some or all of the AFVs - good deal for the buyer. Or the production costs are very low and FL can get $300 so why take less when a huge profit can be made. It's probably the former and not likely to be the latter scenario. And the $300 is a ceiling price (Economics 101).

Terry

As a guess, it's a pricing strategy. The production costs have risen over the last 3 years and also must be different for each AFV but it appears FL doesn't want to go over $300 in price. A price over $300 could reduce sales. They may be accepting reduced profit on some or all of the AFVs - good deal for the buyer. Or the production costs are very low and FL can get $300 so why take less when a huge profit can be made. It's probably the former and not likely to be the latter scenario. And the $300 is a ceiling price (Economics 101).

Terry

So what you are saying Terry is their Pz 3 should probably be priced around $329 & the Opel should be priced around $ 279...Just to throw some speculative #'s out there...So as to not break the mental price barrier in buyers heads they are bumping up the price of say the Opel to adjust for the loss of the Pz 3...I just remember the good old days when a set of 4 K&C TS's only set me back $75...While i had in may last post agreed that FL figures are more defined & crisp , i have not seen any of their vehicles up close , so i could not make a fair judgment on whether i would be willing to pay $300 for one of their AFV's...About 85% of my collection is K&C , & i have really grown found of their figures & vehicles...
I would rather buy a K&C Tiger for $215 i believe...In the end everybody decides how to spend their resources on their collection , I have one FL figure that i like but will perfer to stay with K&C...

Joe

So what you are saying Terry is their Pz 3 should probably be priced around $329 & the Opel should be priced around $ 279...Just to throw some speculative #'s out there...So as to not break the mental price barrier in buyers heads they are bumping up the price of say the Opel to adjust for the loss of the Pz 3...I just remember the good old days when a set of 4 K&C TS's only set me back $75...While i had in may last post agreed that FL figures are more defined & crisp , i have not seen any of their vehicles up close , so i could not make a fair judgment on whether i would be willing to pay $300 for one of their AFV's...About 85% of my collection is K&C , & i have really grown found of their figures & vehicles...
I would rather buy a K&C Tiger for $215 i believe...In the end everybody decides how to spend their resources on their collection , I have one FL figure that i like but will perfer to stay with K&C...

Joe

It is not a close shot of my FL DAK005 figure but he is standing next to Rommel on the left side...

JoeMisc 575.jpg

Joe

I'm not really saying anything because I don't know how FL is pricing, other than all AFVs over the past 3 years in a rising cost environment and with differences between AFVs, are priced at $300. I'm just stating some logical scenarios about pricing around a flat price of $300.

Terry

Terry, have you seen the price on the howitzer with crew $435?

I am going to buy a figure of them to compare, but I also really like their motorcycle (gerstal41). Its always nice to mix different brands into one diorama.

Maybe is their price higer due to shipping costs. They are painted in Russia and if you order them true their website, they ship from the us. Just a guess.

It is not a close shot of my FL DAK005 figure but he is standing next to Rommel on the left side...

JoeView attachment 85968

I see him the skinny short dude.........................{eek3}{eek3}
Good question Mitch,good question.................................^&confuse^&confuse
Terry has lost me don't make sense mate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back