London 2023 June Show (1 Viewer)

Barkmann

Sergeant First Class
Was a small turnout, smallest amount of dealers i have ever seen, bought a few pieces, some pre order, ironically only bought from non-UK seller at the show, Matt at Hobby Bunker and Saimex.

Not a lot new there, T Gunn new Matilda + figures and Panzer IV with Zimmerit, see pictures below, both will come in different markings and the Panzer IV Type H with figure.

I pre ordered some JJD from Matt, thanks for bringing them over, and bought a further K & C figure from him and 4 K & C Germans from Saimex.

The show will be moving to Milton Keynes, for one of the three annual shows, the June 2024 show will be in Milton Keynes.

Attachments

• IMG_1589.JPG
    IMG_1589.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_20230625_120520_resized_20230625_121126230.jpg
    IMG_20230625_120520_resized_20230625_121126230.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_20230625_120525_resized_20230625_121124580.jpg
    IMG_20230625_120525_resized_20230625_121124580.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 288
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 281
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 288
Great, thanks for taking the effort to post show pictures.

Carlos

Would have took and posted more pictures, but there was very few new things to show, i could have posted pictures of the stands, but they would have been the same as the March 23 show and add little value.

The London Show, based on previous threads that would have page after page of photos (as I’d never been), used to be great but now like all shows has fallen on hard times. It’s a reflection of what has happened to shows. Hopefully the December show will be better.

The London Show, based on previous threads that would have page after page of photos (as I’d never been), used to be great but now like all shows has fallen on hard times. It’s a reflection of what has happened to shows. Hopefully the December show will be better.

Fingers crossed, hope so, i remember far back when it was at the National Hotel and their were probably 5 times more exhibitors, think lots of things have changed and led to demise.

I hate to say it, but it seems to me that that aspect of the hobby (shows) has for the most part already died. When I started collecting in the late 1980's, going to shows and to brick and mortar shops was the only way to network, see new product and interact with dealers and manufacturers, or to buy out-of-production items. Since the advent of the internet, ebay, websites and forums like this one permit collectors to buy and sell retired items, network, get to know the manufacturers and see the new product developments from the comfort of their homes. The only reason left to go to shows is to see old friends. In my opinion seeing friends you only see once or twice a year in Chicago, London, San Diego or San Antonio is the only reason shows haven't completely ceased to exist. Just my two cents.

I hate to say it, but it seems to me that that aspect of the hobby (shows) has for the most part already died. When I started collecting in the late 1980's, going to shows and to brick and mortar shops was the only way to network, see new product and interact with dealers and manufacturers, or to buy out-of-production items. Since the advent of the internet, ebay, websites and forums like this one permit collectors to buy and sell retired items, network, get to know the manufacturers and see the new product developments from the comfort of their homes. The only reason left to go to shows is to see old friends. In my opinion seeing friends you only see once or twice a year in Chicago, London, San Diego or San Antonio is the only reason shows haven't completely ceased to exist. Just my two cents.

I think you were on to something/ahead of your time with your annual symposium; a large gathering of collectors from around the world for a weekend of dining, viewing and talking toy soldiers, the concept was brilliant, a shame that it could not continue.

Other such events like the W.Britain symposium in Gettysburg is also a great idea.

Or the open house Jim used to host in PA at his house, another fun event.

You get the best of both worlds; seeing old friends, socializing and talking toy soldiers in a mellow, slower paced environment.

Maybe more events like those are needed around the country.

I think you were on to something/ahead of your time with your annual symposium; a large gathering of collectors from around the world for a weekend of dining, viewing and talking toy soldiers, the concept was brilliant, a shame that it could not continue.

Other such events like the W.Britain symposium in Gettysburg is also a great idea.

Or the open house Jim used to host in PA at his house, another fun event.

You get the best of both worlds; seeing old friends, socializing and talking toy soldiers in a mellow, slower paced environment.

Maybe more events like those are needed around the country.

If collectors are interested in a continuation of the New York Symposium, I could make it happen next spring. The problem is the last two symposia I hosted were not well attended. The first ten Symposia I hosted had big turnout. In addition to manufacturers like Andy Neilson of K&C, Rick Wang of Figarti, John Jenkins, Richard Walker and Ken Osen of Britain's, many dealers attended, including the late great Shannon Reuss, Tony Chicarello of the Toy Soldier Gallery, Bob Sager of Sager's Toy Soldiers, Gideon Rettich of Classic Toys and the Nevilles of K&C UK, and collectors from as far away as Australia, including our dear friend Howard Woods, Great Britain, such as Kevin Elliott and Clive Gand, and France, Fred Genard and Theirry. The last two had around ten attendees, none from overseas. If people had an interest and would commit to coming, I would spend the time and money to host a Symposium next spring.

If collectors are interested in a continuation of the New York Symposium, I could make it happen next spring. The problem is the last two symposia I hosted were not well attended. The first ten Symposia I hosted had big turnout. In addition to manufacturers like Andy Neilson of K&C, Rick Wang of Figarti, John Jenkins, Richard Walker and Ken Osen of Britain's, many dealers attended, including the late great Shannon Reuss, Tony Chicarello of the Toy Soldier Gallery, Bob Sager of Sager's Toy Soldiers, Gideon Rettich of Classic Toys and the Nevilles of K&C UK, and collectors from as far away as Australia, including our dear friend Howard Woods, Great Britain, such as Kevin Elliott and Clive Gand, and France, Fred Genard and Theirry. The last two had around ten attendees, none from overseas. If people had an interest and would commit to coming, I would spend the time and money to host a Symposium next spring.

Understood in that it has to be a worthwhile event for you to make it happen.

Louis - those symposiums sound excellent, A true event.

it is an unfortunate fact that the London venue of this school based event with an unedifying tinge of jumble sale does will attract any discerning collector.

Twice visited, never to return.

I too remember the glory days of the Royal National & Islington Design Centre.

The organisers need a signature venue and theme to attract a sizeable crowd.

Why don’t you all come to chicago, I hear it is sold out as far as tables go and they had to open up more room. The London show is hurting because the poor British people are taxed way to much

blake3.jpg
After the show Joe and I got together with Blake (Thomas Gunn) and Sven (Last Post/Peter Nathan TS) and had quite a few points! This pub is a 2 minute walk from the Haverstock school.

Matt, thanks for the photo, just a query about the Jug Bar sign, is that something like Hooters 😎 ^&grin

Sadly no....but there was a Coyote Ugly (5 minute walk) in Camden Town.

I think there is only one Hooters in the UK, in Nottingham [which has been open for 21 years], but there has been planning permission granted for 1 in Liverpool and a third in Manchester. I am from Nottingham, Sherwood, but moved away 41 years ago. The Nottingham Hooters is famous amongst Football [Soccer] fans as the place to visit when your team is playing one of the clubs there, all within walking distance from the railways station. so much so when Nottingham Forest were promoted to the top tier, it was used as great reason to go to a game in Nottingham, you can visit the only Hooters in the UK. I would rather think of my home as more famous for Robin Hood, invention of the MRI scanner [Aberdeen had the first one used], creation of Ibuprofin, plus a multitude of writers. However, what always make childern laugh and many do not believe that the city was originally called Snotingaham after the tribal leader of the name Snot who ruled the area in Anglo Saxon times. With Inga meaning 'the people of' and ham meaning 'homestead'.

On another topic, Matt thanks for bringing my stuff over to the show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back