London show 3/12/22 (1 Viewer)

As a dealer and London admirer I attended all December shows since 2008 until COVID-19 restrictions.
Every year I made the long way from Germany including all the figures and was happy.
I represented esp. team miniatures in the last years.

why did I stop ?

because of the Brexit.

paperwork for dealers outside the UK is not worth it anymore.

so Edinburgh would be a possibility….

George,

Your analysis and commentary are spot on. You're our resident Dean of Show Vendors being a man of many years in this hobby. I didn't get in to the hobby until 2005 but have attended many shows over the years. I have become familiar with the history of the shows and you've summed it up quite well.

You speak for me (and I'm sure many others here) when you pointed out: I had hoped one day to attend the London Show just to see all the varied product offerings............. One of the things that appealed to me was the picture posted after the show of the TFT members who attended all gathered in a pub relaxing after the show with a good meal and some adult beverages, I had hoped to be in one of those pictures.....................we'll see what the future holds

Here's hoping that our hobby shows experience a revival of sorts. I would love to attend the London show and the Chicago show as well. But I fear that they either may not be around by the time I can go or that they will be a shadow of what they once were.

Mark

When I got back into the hobby, I started attending a local show here in MA, they had dealers from as far south as Virginia and as far west as Ohio attend, it was an event, the line to get in went out the door...................it was packed all day long. And that's just a local show, then I went to the East Coast Toy Soldier Show, Chicago, MFCA, just unreal how crowded and busy they were, that carried over when I became a dealer.

I met a great number of my customers past and present at shows, they were all a license to print money, then as time went on, they started to circle the drain.

Then COVID hit...................they've come back, but to what extent? Shows back in the day and stores were the two main ways to introduce product to collectors, now we've got the internet, forums, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, plus numerous Facebook pages.

It's getting harder and harder to fill a venue with enough quality vendors to make the shopping experience worthwhile, that's the other problem.

I'm presently up to my eyeballs in orders/business, been that way for the past three years; during those three years, I've been to two shows.

TWO.

If you told me ten years ago that I'd attend two shows from 2020 through 2022, I'd assume I was out of the business.

Nope, far from it.

Very far from it.

For 2023, there are a few shows I'd like to attend; we'll see what happens, time will tell and all that.

In no way, shape or form am I throwing shade at the shows, all I am doing is stating reality.

If there are vendors and collectors who still attend shows and in their mind feel as though they are worthwhile endeavors, then best of luck to them, good for them, YMMV as the saying goes.

Couple of my own comments here. I find the London show fascinating and have attended previously once. As a collector of a lot of what is sold at London show I think it is fabulous between Clive, the turner family, little legion, Brit toy soldier, lancer, and a few others. I still shop via the you tube video and just placed a nice order with Paul turner and Brit toy soldier. While all shows ebb and flow, it certainly looks from the videos that there is plenty to choose from and no reason not to support the show. Everything changes but for me I still seem to find plenty.
just an observation with my own experiences.

tom

Couple of my own comments here. I find the London show fascinating and have attended previously once. As a collector of a lot of what is sold at London show I think it is fabulous between Clive, the turner family, little legion, Brit toy soldier, lancer, and a few others. I still shop via the you tube video and just placed a nice order with Paul turner and Brit toy soldier. While all shows ebb and flow, it certainly looks from the videos that there is plenty to choose from and no reason not to support the show. Everything changes but for me I still seem to find plenty.
just an observation with my own experiences.

tom

Respect for all of the views shared about shows.

No matter what happens to them, some of my best toy soldier memories are wandering the Westcoaster showroom floor with Tom and Hans.

Those laughs and conversations will last forever, even if the shows do not.

The shows are what you make of them, YMMV.

For me, I would not be where I am in this business were it not for the show promoters who ran them and more importantly, the collectors who took the time and expense to attend.

I cut my teeth on the shows, as I've stated in the past, I met many of my past and present customers at the shows. I also loved the juice I got from busting my *** and laying out top notch displays and seeing the reaction of the attendees at my layouts, true eye candy, Don Peilin and Bill Lango among other show promoters gave me great selling spots at the shows and it paid off in spades.

I'd still like to get to a London Show if for no other reason than the wide variety of items you don't see at the US based shows.

Also, Tom Dubel and I area working on a joint effort which if it comes to fruition, it will be a show heavy venture, "The TD and Double G roadshow, coming to a toy soldier show near you"..............

I like it.

**** no; I LOVE it.

I think it's going to happen, we'll see.

Stayed tuned fellas.

The shows are what you make of them, YMMV.

For me, I would not be where I am in this business were it not for the show promoters who ran them and more importantly, the collectors who took the time and expense to attend.

I cut my teeth on the shows, as I've stated in the past, I met many of my past and present customers at the shows. I also loved the juice I got from busting my *** and laying out top notch displays and seeing the reaction of the attendees at my layouts, true eye candy, Don Peilin and Bill Lango among other show promoters gave me great selling spots at the shows and it paid off in spades.

I'd still like to get to a London Show if for no other reason than the wide variety of items you don't see at the US based shows.

Also, Tom Dubel and I area working on a joint effort which if it comes to fruition, it will be a show heavy venture, "The TD and Double G roadshow, coming to a toy soldier show near you"..............

I like it.

**** no; I LOVE it.

I think it's going to happen, we'll see.

Stayed tuned fellas.

Ya, this could be a fun one! I guarantee worth attending! If not for anything, the laughs will carry the day.

As I have said, I have a unique perspective as I am a collector first, but I do sell at shows too, for me, the hobby is a double win. I enjoy it. That said, it is very hard for dealers to continue to be all in on shows when attendance is down. I am of the belief that as a collector I go to shows for the purpose of support as an attendee, the thrill of the hunt for an old, unique, never before seen item and for the bs sessions with friends. As a dealer - when you have to do the math on certain shows, it is tough and I get it. The internet is a blessing and a curse. I think promoters have to look at shows as break evens, they are not worth anything on paper, except the one job is to get the dealers to buy a table and to get collectors through the door. Train shows are still a continued destination and success here in the US even though you can arguably order 12 months in advance new trains from dealers at a large discount. That said - shows are still heavy in attendance. Have to get TS shows on that level.

TD

As a dealer and London admirer I attended all December shows since 2008 until COVID-19 restrictions.
Every year I made the long way from Germany including all the figures and was happy.
I represented esp. team miniatures in the last years.

why did I stop ?

because of the Brexit.

paperwork for dealers outside the UK is not worth it anymore.

so Edinburgh would be a possibility….

You would have the same problem in Edinburgh as London.

Show has to stay in the London area, within the tube system, geographically easier to get too than anywhere else, having it in somewhere like Milton Keynes excludes many from south of London, including Kent, etc as it would be difficult to get to, same if the show was moved to South of London, for those who live in the North. Plus for non UK mainland visitors and dealers London is best, Eurostar into London and then tube, any flights such as Heathrow, Gatwick, Standsted and Luton. Even driving into Dover and then driving upto London is easier than any other place i can imagine. It is more about population density, so geographical location is key. There are more people live within a decent travelling time to London than anywhere else, plus the way our terrible rail system works getting to somewhere like Milton Keynes would make it too difficult for people to attend. I used to go to the Birmongham show, i drove, but getting public transport there was costly and took over 3 times longer than driving.

The school is OK, not great but it is all there is at the moment, previous venues became too expensive. I do not live in London, but anyone who lives there might know options? However, venues in London are expensive, especially when you consider there needs to be parking.

Ya, this could be a fun one! I guarantee worth attending! If not for anything, the laughs will carry the day.

Yes they will.

I'm working on my material as I write this.......:wink2:

I went to London Shows in the early 1990's with my father. They are some of my best memories of toy soldier shows. I attended in 2018, 2019 and 2022. Made vacations out of it. Met customers in person for the first time, met new ones. Visited some makers and usually bought a lot of unique things that I would bring back for local customers. I will be back in March or June most likely.

You can call shows whatever you want. They are still a part of my business. Running the West Coaster is a bonus....palm trees, beaches and Disneyland in Winter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back