Looking for British Bulldog Catalog or Help to ID several Sets (1 Viewer)

captainsimos

Private 2
I am working on helping a friend ID a lot of toy soldiers he inherited. Just came across several sets of British Bulldog, but can find very little info about the sets produced. All the ones in the fore front of the photo are marked British Bulldog Series. As always any help is appreciated and to everyone stay well.
bull.jpg

I am working on helping a friend ID a lot of toy soldiers he inherited. Just came across several sets of British Bulldog, but can find very little info about the sets produced. All the ones in the fore front of the photo are marked British Bulldog Series. As always any help is appreciated and to everyone stay well.
View attachment 258649

Hi, the 3 on the left are British Naval from Colonial Period (Sudan, Zulu, Boer, India) and the others I believe next 2 are 24th Ft and the final 3 are Highlanders I forget which regiments, but I think first 2 are Black Watch and last is either Seaforth or Gordon. British Bulldog mainly made generic figures that would fit any British Colonial Period.

Hope that helps, I have never seen a catalog either.

Tom

Thanks Tom:
The fellow holding the flag and the one next to him is from a survey party and I agree the ones on the left are Royal Navy. It is hard to find a complete set pictured any where just bits and pieces. It just adds to the fun of the find, also keeps your mind off of everything going on.
Simos

Thanks Tom:
The fellow holding the flag and the one next to him is from a survey party
Simos

Simos,

that coloured flag was used by signalers for semaphore communications. They should have 2 flags, one in each hand, and the officer with binoculars could be observing, but usually it is a signaler observing the distant signal station.

He's an example that I have painted:

ALHsigs.JPG
Australian Light Horse 1915
by Yeomanry Miniatures

John

Simos,

that coloured flag was used by signalers for semaphore communications. They should have 2 flags, one in each hand, and the officer with binoculars could be observing, but usually it is a signaler observing the distant signal station.

He's an example that I have painted:

NFIG]258682[/ATTACH]
Australian Light Horse 1915
by Yeomanry Miniatures

John

Hi John,

May I offer an alternative explanation?

There is only one flag because it is a "Picquet Flag"

When armies on the move camped at night they set Picquets (Outposts) which all kept a fire burning during the night There are several Biblical references to this practice.

In the morning when the picquets were withdrawn, the "last man" off the Picquet position waved the Picquet flag to indicate to his comrades that it was safe to fire on that position.

I take further support for my contention because I have never seen a semaphore flag of the design indicated.

Regards,

Oberstinhaber

I've seen a few toy soldier 'signals' sets with a similar flag; Hocker's set 11 has one like it, and a second figure whose flag is blue with a white stripe.
Here's a picture of a British Bulldog signals set - note the difference in facing colour and style of helmet. (And sloppier painting.)
sigsa.jpg
I don't know the set number. The kneeling figure is writing in a notebook.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back