Lost in the Jungle (1 Viewer)

Horus

Brigadier General
Ok the blue line is either the river behind us, on the map here, or this one over here on this other map !

Steve
5.jpg

OR ...
Listen Corporal I KNOW how to read a map.
I went to OCS and they taught us ... real good .... all about these squiggly little symbols and all the other map thingies here and there.
Now we ain't lost .... just misplaced a bit.

Ummmm ... Larry, Sir ... your holding the map upside down!:redface2:

--- LaRRy

PS: Steve ...where do you purchase or find all the excellent jungle material? Looks soooooooooo GREAT.

OR ...
I went to OCS and they taught us ... real good .... all about these squiggly little symbols and all the other map thingies here and there.

--- LaRRy

PS: Steve ...where do you purchase or find all the excellent jungle material? Looks soooooooooo GREAT.

Officers being geographically embarrassed ... classic! Nicely done Steve.

Brendan

Officers being geographically embarrassed ... classic! Nicely done Steve.

Brendan

Call for fire...."willy pete"..TRP (target reference point..hopefully)

"Round out" "Round ...over " Splash ..out" "Splash ..over"
If that white phosphorus round doesn't land on you...maybe you can see it..maybe.

OR ...

--- LaRRy

Hi Steve,

I was wondering the same thing …. where can I find that terrific stuff? :eek: Your jungle seems so real!!! {eek3}
As always, great shot! :)

Cheers

Enrico :salute::

OR ...

--- LaRRy

Hi Steve,

I was wondering the same thing …. where can I find that terrific stuff? :eek: Your jungle seems so real!!! {eek3}
As always, great shot! :)

Cheers

Hi Guys and thanks !

Ok small leaf for bushes or saplings / small trees. I tend to bunch these together for bushes or stick a bit of wire through and bend to shape for saplings / small trees.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/81pcs-Co...ry-Layout-4-/282952797977?hash=item41e14d0f19

Two types of tropical in one offer:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100pcs-G...796983?hash=item58f25546b7:g:o5MAAOSw2pNajxnN

or
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50x-Mode...252462&hash=item235f3d515c:g:H3AAAOSwuAVWvRqW

and
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-Model...546928&hash=item2c9e808176:g:vr8AAOSw~JRavHwW

also
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-Model...208100&hash=item28046050ab:g:ek8AAOSwcFVayWwH

for Bamboo
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100Pcs-G...046696&hash=item5d5d6c7742:g:mfwAAOSw~RVaRuLe

and for Ferns I use the palm fronds
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18-Model...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Once you've got your plants, give them a wash in soapy water and paint, you don't have to be careful unless you have plenty of time just make sure you cover all. dipping seemed to leave lots of missing spots when I tried it.
I mostly just used cheap kids acrylic paint, a green and brown mix to get colour I wanted mixed with a little kids pva glue to help the paint stick.

Don't forget to use some disposable gloves or you'll be scrubbing paint off fingers as I do when I forget !

Long grass is just cheap paint brushes stuck to a base and painted the colour you want. Paint again mixed with a little pva glue.
Steve

Excellent Steve:salute::

All the best

Martyn:)

The map maybe the right way, depends on which direction you are coming from^&grin, Robin.

Excellent Steve:salute::

All the best

Martyn:)

The map maybe the right way, depends on which direction you are coming from^&grin, Robin.

Great looking scene Steve, well done.

OR ...

--- LaRRy

Thanks for the comments and likes guys. Larry congratulations on your promotion !:wink2::salute::{sm4}

Steve

Thank you, Steve.
It seems that a wealth of diorama material can be found in the "Model Train World."
I took a look at the US eBay and found similar items.

Living in Maine there are few things that are "local" or close by. However, I found five model train stores I can take a nice ride to.
One in Hallowell, Maine which is only a "brief" hour away.

MANY thanks.

--- LaRRy

Hi Guys and thanks !

Ok small leaf for bushes or saplings / small trees. I tend to bunch these together for bushes or stick a bit of wire through and bend to shape for saplings / small trees.

Once you've got your plants, give them a wash in soapy water and paint, you don't have to be careful unless you have plenty of time just make sure you cover all. dipping seemed to leave lots of missing spots when I tried it.
I mostly just used cheap kids acrylic paint, a green and brown mix to get colour I wanted mixed with a little kids pva glue to help the paint stick.

Don't forget to use some disposable gloves or you'll be scrubbing paint off fingers as I do when I forget !

Long grass is just cheap paint brushes stuck to a base and painted the colour you want. Paint again mixed with a little pva glue.
Steve

Hi Steve,

thanks a lot for your useful advices. I think it's really nice that you're sharing this experience with us. :rolleyes:About the disposable gloves...I'll take your hint!:)

Cheers

Thank you, Steve.
It seems that a wealth of diorama material can be found in the "Model Train World."
I took a look at the US eBay and found similar items.

Living in Maine there are few things that are "local" or close by. However, I found five model train stores I can take a nice ride to.
One in Hallowell, Maine which is only a "brief" hour away.

MANY thanks.

--- LaRRy

You're welcome Larry. There certainly is a wealth of model Railway accessories to be had as you say and in several different gauges. But like "Toy Soldier World", fewer stores around then there used to be, but plenty of stuff to be had from the internet. Good luck with your search and trust you won't get deflected into starting a Model Railroad at least not in a scale that won't match your Soldiers !:p

Steve

Hi Steve,

thanks a lot for your useful advices. I think it's really nice that you're sharing this experience with us. :rolleyes:About the disposable gloves...I'll take your hint!:)

Cheers

You're welcome mate. Have fun !

Steve

Steve, did you start reading the Matterhorn book? I just finished it. It was excellent. Very well written and insightful. I recommend to anyone interested in the Vietnam war to read this book.

Steve, did you start reading the Matterhorn book? I just finished it. It was excellent. Very well written and insightful. I recommend to anyone interested in the Vietnam war to read this book.

Yes, I'm about half way through the book now Lt Kendall's poor map reading skills was what gave me the idea for this scene ! As you say a great read.
Thanks for the recommendation.

Steve

Finished the book, Excellent ! Doubt they'd ever make a film true to the book though.

Some seeds of ideas planted for future dioramic use !

Steve

any shop selling gold-fish and aquariums have them, all sorts.
They are made of semi shiny plastic and need some work
guy:smile2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back