Made a 1.30 scale Roman style Wicker chair (1 Viewer)

Horus

Brigadier General
Spotted some table place mats and coasters in a Poundshop which have a woven wicker effect.

I painted them to a colour resembling natural wicker since this set only came in a greyish colour

For getting a natural looking size of chair, I used as a template the wicker chair from TG RAF001B. After cutting a strip (72 mm x 31 mm) to size with a curve for back and sides and a slit to allow for the seat part to be folded down, I Super glued to a small piece of balsa wood to give shape to the seat then glued the two ends, pushed down and glued the seat in position.
After giving the glue some time to set, I cut a four short lengths for the chair legs from a Bamboo Barbecue skewer.

5.jpg8.jpg
Roman Wicker chair reconstruction.jpg
This last photo is a reconstruction from a Museum for comparison.

Very easy to make. The hardest part is finding something you can use that gives a scale wicker effect.

Looks great Steve. The fig on the right side is obviously studying the chair construction. :smile2: Chris

When the need arises we can be very creative. Well done. Greg.

Very good mate look forward to you make the babies cot next.

Cheers Wayne :salute::
Yeah why not, I'll give it a go !
Watch this space ^&grin

Looks great Steve. The fig on the right side is obviously studying the chair construction. :smile2: Chris

Thanks Chris:salute:: Yes that's what I was thinking at the time myself ! :wink2::tongue:

When the need arises we can be very creative. Well done. Greg.

Thanks Greg :salute::
Yep, got keep your eyes and mind open to ideas all the time !

Spotted some table place mats and coasters in a Poundshop which have a woven wicker effect.

I painted them to a colour resembling natural wicker since this set only came in a greyish colour

For getting a natural looking size of chair, I used as a template the wicker chair from TG RAF001B. After cutting a strip (72 mm x 31 mm) to size with a curve for back and sides and a slit to allow for the seat part to be folded down, I Super glued to a small piece of balsa wood to give shape to the seat then glued the two ends, pushed down and glued the seat in position.
After giving the glue some time to set, I cut a four short lengths for the chair legs from a Bamboo Barbecue skewer.

This last photo is a reconstruction from a Museum for comparison.

Very easy to make. The hardest part is finding something you can use that gives a scale wicker effect.

Great idea and very well done.

Great idea and very well done.

Thanks Wolfgang !

And now as requested by Wayne, the babies cot !^&grin

Also did another chair and a sofa in same style. Just need to add a few cushions and it'll all look homely for a Roman !^&grin
11.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back