Mass Battle paint trouble (1 Viewer)

Mastercom10

Private 1st Class
Hello,

A few years ago I bought some figures of the 80th Foot from the serie Mass Battle Anglo-Zulu war.
When I received them, all was OK.
Until today, they were stored boxed in a room, so no sun exposure, temperature variation or chemical vapor.
Yesterday, I unboxed them and I saw the extent of the damage : many large paint chips/flaking, mainly on hands, gun, bayonet and staps.
I have a large collection of First Legion figures since 2008 and this has never happened until now.
I am worried because I have other Mass Battle figures from another range ( Waterloo british 30th Foot).
Let's hope this doesn't happen in the future for the expensive classic series !.
Have you also had this kind of problem ?.
View attachment 299438IMG_20230924_145804.jpg

I've also had this problem but on K&C figures and a tank.

Hello,

A few years ago I bought some figures of the 80th Foot from the serie Mass Battle Anglo-Zulu war.
Until today, they were stored boxed in a room, so no sun exposure, temperature variation or chemical vapor.
Yesterday, I unboxed them and I saw the extent of the damage : many large paint chips/flaking, mainly on hands, gun, bayonet and staps.
I have a large collection of First Legion figures since 2008 and this has never happened until now.
I am worried because I have other Mass Battle figures from another range ( Waterloo british 30th Foot).
Let's hope this doesn't happen in the future for the expensive classic series !.
View attachment 299438View attachment 299439

I'm sorry to see this. It reminds me somewhat of many paint adherence issues I had with Figarti. This appears to be either damage from contaminated primer, contaminated paint, or more likely the entire figure surface was exposed to a caustic agent after being primed or after being painted. You can see how the paint on the bayonet is not just chipped but has been eaten away (as opposed to flaking). I'm guessing something got on the figure, and the damage didn't originally manifest itself upon introduction to the unknown contaminant. Hopefully this problem is isolated to only this figure.

Yep, definitely reminds me of the earlier Figarti Tanks. Where the paints peels off, Treefrog was nice to replace it, had to do that twice, it dawned on me that I needed to seal coat it, and used a dull coat sealer, and never had it happen again..

Have collected First Legion in the past, but to be honest, the quality control issues tend to keep me from buying anymore of their things. For the price, the pieces should be held to a higher standard and they just don't meet mine.

Hello,

View attachment 299438View attachment 299439

Serge,

Mike can fix this.

Brad

Have collected First Legion in the past, but to be honest, the quality control issues tend to keep me from buying anymore of their things. For the price, the pieces should be held to a higher standard and they just don't meet mine.

Interesting, with you having worked at a Toy Soldier shop and presumably able to check the stock.

Looks like lead rot to me. By any chance were they stored in or on walnut? This is really a no-no for toy soldiers! If the scaling is not too bad, you could wash them in white vinegar, brush with a soft brush, rinse in warm, soapy water, then repaint where needed.

Hope this helps . . .

Bosun Al

Emission of Acetic Acid from wood display cases (or cardboard boxes) will cause degradation of lead. Humidity will serve as an accelerant. In general, hardwoods are bad (though Birch/Teak is as good as a softwood) and softwoods are better (though not perfect, and Red Pine is as bad an offender as hardwoods)

Some writings on Lead Rot:

https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/citations/ADA336754

https://publications.gc.ca/site/eng/9.810462/publication.html

https://www.nedcc.org/free-resource...e-furniture-a-brief-review-of-current-options

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0010938X09004314

Users who are viewing this thread

Back