Mr. Larry Lo (1 Viewer)

I dont go to many events , but I did have the extreme pleasure of meeting Larry a few times ... I did not know he was ill, this is a terrible and unexpected shock.

He was so easy to get along with and a true gentleman.

My condolences to his family

How old was he ?

This news is, unfortunately, starting to sink in for me.

Some recollections that seem to come back to me:

Larry was too young (in his 50s) and a vital handsome person who was very cosmopolitan. Every symposium he would treat us to a fantastic meal at his restaurant Tse-Yang, which unfortunately is no longer around. When I think of Larry I think of the comedy act he and Louis would do. Louis would always, despite himself, play straight man for Larry and everybody would get a big kick out of it, even Louis.

As mentioned, Larry was a great collector. He was amazing at networking and if Larry needed a piece that another collector had but wouldn't sell it unless Larry brought the collection, well, Larry bought the collection. I never saw the basement in his apartment building but I knew he had gobs and gobs of boxes down there {eek3}

Many have spoken of his kindness and thoughtfullness. I think I remembered mentioning to him offhand that I was looking for DD 35, an M 16 Quad Halftrack. A few weeks later, he, Louis and I were visiting Doug Stork (who passed away in 2005) in the hospital and lo and behold he shows up with the model. I've never forgotten that.

You can see some of his collection here but take a look at http://toysoldiersusa.com/cgi-local...ions&subsubcategory=Larry Lo&reset=1391783514 This was some photos I took in 2006. In and of itself, that's a great collection but it just scratches the surface.

I guess I knew this day would come but it doesn't make it any easier.

Brad

I'm shocked and sadly surprised to read this news, too. I met Larry through the shows, he was such a nice fellow, he will be missed. My prayers and condolences to his family.

Brad, thanks for sharing his age. I actually thought he was younger, from seeing him in person. But that was my first thought, seeing Andy's first post, that he was so young.

Well, let's grieve, and then let's remember him fondly, which keeps his memory alive.

We lost a good man.......

I met him through Louis and had many business lunches at his restaurant.
He will be sorely missed by all who had the privilege to know him.
My sincere sympathy to his family.

This is very sad news indeed. I send my heartfelt sympathies to Larry's family and friends and also to all of you on this thread who knew him and called him a friend. It is my loss that I never actually got to meet him but a measure of the kindness and generosity of the man that when my wife was ill he wrote to me entirely out of the blue and asked me to visit him and dine with him should we make it to his neck of the woods . Toy Soldiers and tanks are all very good indeed but it's the people, the friends, the gentlemen that make this hobby the best out there. Larry was a shining example of this. R.I.P Larry

Rob

Oh no, what sad news; I am shocked. I had heard he was having some health issues, but didn't realize how serious it was. He was one of the fine gentlemen in our hobby who had an incredible Trophy collection. I met him about 10 years go at the Chicago Show where he was wearing his signature U.S. Navy Aviation leather jacket. He subsequently invited me to come to New York to see his collection, which I had intended to do, but never did. What a loss to our hobby. Rest in peace, Larry. You will be missed.

Larry Lo was one of my best friends. He, Hans Hedrich and I were inseparable. Larry was one of the kindest, funniest and most interesting people it has been my great good fortune to know. His wit (often aimed at me), his zest for life, his genuine good nature will always be with me.

Like most of the people who knew Larry best, his illness came as a complete shock to me. We went to several Yankee games last summer (he joked that I wouldn't invite him to more because he was a jinx- they always lost when I took him), and we had a wonderful day in the apartment he bought to house his collection with Andy Neilson remembering great times we had shared over the years, and he always seemed the picture of health.

Seeing him in the hospital after he was diagnosed, I still couldn't believe it. He was tired, and in pain, but he was still Larry - resilient, a fighter, with so much to live for. The last message he sent me spoke about treasuring the time he was sharing with his son.

I miss him already terribly. I take solace that the pain is gone, but I am so saddened by his wife, son and daughter being deprived of one of the best husbands and fathers I've ever known.

Goodbye my friend!

I've lost two family friends already this year and now more sad news about another forum member.

I'm very sorry to hear about Larry and my sincere sympathy and condolences to his family and the many members of this forum who were his friends.

Jeff

As some others have mentioned Larry's kindness, so shall I...... When I first joined the forum I was desperately seeking a long retired K&C WWII set, it was on eBay for a outrageous amount that I couldn't afford, out of blue Larry (whom I didn't know) sent me a message that he had the set and was willing to help out a new collector, he told me he would only charge me for what he paid for it!! which I couldn't believe with the prices the set was going for on EBay, as we corrosponded over time he mentioned if myself or family were ever in NY to look him up and visit his restaurant, what a gent and a true kind man, never met him but wish I had, rest in peace Mr.Lo you will be missed by all...Sammy

It was just a very brief meeting and short talk I had with Larry at one of the Chicago Shows, but nevertheless a great pleasure to meet him.
On a few occasions we communicated via pm's here on the forum, and as others have mentioned, Larry was most helpful to other collectors.
In my case it was with a one of the Britains WWI Premier sets.
A very sad day and news to hear that such a fine gentleman has passed away.

My condolences go out to his family and friends.
The Toy Soldier Hobby has lost one of it's finest members.
RIP, Larry.

Konrad

I'm so sorry to hear this sad news. I didn't know Larry other than through the postings on this forum but that was enough to know that he was a kind and knowledgeable collector who had many friends. To his many friends and to his family, my sincere condolences. A sad day. -- Al

Very very sad, i was just asking tim tyler a few weeks ago if he had heard how larry was doing of which he hadn't heard. I meant to inquire on the trophy forum and now i hear this. I first met lawrence and the posse about 10 to 12 years ago when louis was leading them from room to room in search of kc zulu 1 glossy. Louis, tom and hans as well as larry's eyes lit up when i told them that i had just come from a room that had that set. Off they all went but it was larry who turned around to thank me in all the excitement. Its to bad to see him go. My prayers are with his family

I met Larry in a hot summer day in July 2012 through Louis who put us together. I remember ringing the door of his apartment and when the door opened there he was, with a great smile on his face, greeting this never heard of before Brazilian collector, a complete stranger... To say Larry was kind, welcoming and generous is an understatement. The same applies to say his collection is marvelous. I was completely amazed both by Larry's kindness as by his collection. He took me in as if we were longtime friends. We spent hours going through his collection that was displayed in every room of his apartment and talking TS collecting, not to mention aircraft carriers and navy fighters. We also spoke of family and work. It was simply a magical afternoon. Larry is a true gentleman and embodies the highest spirit of comradeship and friendliness. Can’t express how saddened I am about this news. My thoughts go to his family. Those memories will stay with me... Certainly our world just got a little worse; heaven just got even better.

Certainly our world just got a little worse; heaven just got even better.

Of all the things written about Larry, this one really hits home, truer words have never been written.

One of the side benefits of being in the toy soldier business is you get to meet many collectors face to face and get to know them beyond the typical dealer/customer relationship.

Sadly, one of the detriments to this is when one of them passes away as it hits home on a personal level.

Condolences to Larry's family and friends.
I had the pleasure of having communications with Larry through PM's here on the forum. Right away I felt Larry was a very special individual. He was so kind and had such a wonderful sense of humor. I felt a connection with him; he is just one of those kind of people. As we talked toy soldiers, I remember something he said that always stuck with me. We were discussion our attempts at downsizing our collections. We really had a laugh over the fact that as soon as we clear some open space in our collections, there is an internal drive that kicks in to fill that same space! Larry jokingly called it "the logic of an addict". We really laughed it up over our healthy addictions.

I'm going to go back and re-read his messages. Something told me not to erase them.

Rest in Peace Larry Lo

Joe

I was very saddened to receive a text message yesterday from Hans informing me that Larry had passed away. In the brief time that I have been collecting/selling, I had the great pleasure of speaking with Larry on numerous occasions. He was always helpful and very generous with both his time & knowledge. This past spring after a couple of years of phone calls, I finally met Larry in person at a toy show in NJ. A truly great guy, but more importantly, one of the real nice guys around! Sometime around May/June, I was told that Larry was quite sick, but hoped against hope that Larry would pull through. Sadly, he did not make it.

My deepest condolences to his wife & his children. And my condolences to his hobby buddies, Hans & Louis.

Peter

A true measure of greatness is when you do not need to meet someone in person in order to like them. Lawrence Lo was that type of man. I only knew Mr. Lo through his posts and the stories Andy has shared about him and he was clearly a man made up of kindness, generosity and joy. Whether you knew him directly or indirectly he was a great presence in this hobby. Thankfully, his love of collecting will live on through all of us and all the future generations of toy soldier collectors.

Shell shocked by this news.
Agree with all the great things said by others. I met him every trip we have had to NYC and also Chicago.
NYC was made extra special each time with him in his restaurant. Jane (my wife) and I were very lucky to have a walk tour with him around the city, and boy did we laugh and learn a lot.

So long Larry you will be missed

From Tony, Jane, Mike, Sue & dispatch Dave
And the rest of the gang at K&C UK

My deepest sympathy to Larry's family and friends.As others have said the true measure of a man is what his friends think of him.He must have been a great guy.That's 2 in the last couple of months and the forum is much poorer with their loss.
Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back