Museum Display of LAH and WW2 Germans for Collecting Exhibition (1 Viewer)

Awesome display! I always enjoy seeing images of tabletop dios like this. What a fantastic collection of items. Really neat to see the Afrikakorps line-up (as well as the Berlin display) up close. Thanks for sharing.

Excellent work Brett. A nice overview display of Germany before and during WW2. I wouldn't be surprised if your dio attracts new collectors after seeing this in the museum. ^&cool

Well done Brett,

I love the French Village set the best, just like a real village, and I'm sure that visitors will be very pleased seeing such a professional looking display.

I think Wayne is very jealous after seeing so many LAH on-parade at once :)

John

Nice and impressive setup Brett but is the curator a Germanophile? Poor Rob will have a conniption :wink2: :)

Crikey!

Germans are popular to collect because of the variety of uniforms and vehicles compared to the Allies.

Brett, nice work. I hope you pull in a pro photographer to capture it before the exhibit ends.

I would add that WW2 was the Germans. They had the right war winning combination of brains, industry, revolutionary thinking, passion & advertising that had three Allied superpowers running scared. And while the Germans have been pacified now, so much of our modern military has it's roots like it or not in WW2 Germany. Every other capitol in Europe has military parades, but the Germans are finished at least for our lifetimes. Toy soldiers are all that's left for them. And then having said all of that, that the whole show was being run with two clowns like Hitler & Goering & their antics just make it extraordinarily interesting

Brett, nice work. I hope you pull in a pro photographer to capture it before the exhibit ends.

I would add that WW2 was the Germans. They had the right war winning combination of brains, industry, revolutionary thinking, passion & advertising that had three Allied superpowers running scared. And while the Germans have been pacified now, so much of our modern military has it's roots like it or not in WW2 Germany. Every other capitol in Europe has military parades, but the Germans are finished at least for our lifetimes. Toy soldiers are all that's left for them. And then having said all of that, that the whole show was being run with two clowns like Hitler & Goering & their antics just make it extraordinarily interesting

You forgot to mention that they were great at slaughtering millions upon millions of innocent lives.

All looks good familiar and impressive Brett. What a PR coup. Can only imagine what a million people will take away in their thoughts after seeing this dramatic layout. You have planted one almighty seed and time will tell how it is received. Seems to me it can only be good for our hobby and of course hopefully your business, especially tying down so much capital. No doubt you will get some feedback from the Museum staff who also should be impressed. I like the fact you have covered a number of era's and each has been clearly defined despite being hard up against each other. Perhaps I should do the same in Adelaide, certainly would help with my storage problem. All the best, Robin.:salute:::salute:::salute::

Mapleleaf, Outlaw, Joe, Robin, Brad, Carlin, Obee, Blowtorch, Guy, Wayne Qld and WA and Tom and last but not least Jack for his "Nice Dio{sm2}".

Thanks for the comments and to those who "liked" the images.

Robin and Brad,

As I mentioned the subject matter was not choisen by me. The Senior Curator obviously saw my Lighthorse display and others (18 cabinets) covering all periods. After seeing all figures on display she asked if there were any figures depicting the Massacres and I had to ask which Massacres. She was referring to whites killing Aborigines in the 1800's. I said there were no such figures and doubted their commercial viability as she was the first to ever ask about such figures.

Given a choice I would much rather have had a 1m Lighthorse display (and Aussies N Africa, Zulus and Naps etc) and I think the visitors would have appreciated that more. However it was apparent the Curator was looking for something controversial which is why she chose Germans. I dont think she was so much interested in the Toy Soldier aspect as much as why people collect German items (explained in the notice in display). She referred to the display as one of the controversial ones in the exhibition (more on the others in another thread). Fortunately I could put some good guys in there so hopefully people looking will realise TS collecting is not all about WW2 German soldiers.

Hopefully it will work as a good promotional tool for the hobby/business. Luckily I get the items back at the end. It costs me $242 per week for a small add in the Weekend Shopper section of main Qld newspaper so any costs involved in this display are insignificant relevant to what advertising costs. I will volunteer for as many talks as they like and even if I say so myself will put together a good presentation about TS history and collecting. Fortunately this Forum has a lot of useful information I can use. Seems a couple of local collectors of mine are already planning their questions (or is it heckling !). One, with a sense of humour, is planning to ask questions about a certain brand I do not stock but by then I will have given his photo to security and asked for them to be on the alert ^&grin!.

The display did get a lot of positive comments from the Museum staff and hopefully will get more at the official opening function on Wednesday.

Will prevail upon Jack and Tom again soon to put up images of other exhibits. If your family and friends think you are strange collecting TS's tell them about fingernails and washing machines !

Brett

Would love to be there Wednesday, but like Andy hopefully we will get to see it in person mid year. Enjoy the function. Robin.

Would love to be there Wednesday, but like Andy hopefully we will get to see it in person mid year. Enjoy the function. Robin.

Robin,
Will include in the itinary for mid year. There is also a display about 3 WWI VC winners to see (on loan from a private collector).
Brett

I am going in on Thursday to see this collection about collecting and will take my camera and take some pics around and about the museum to give some context, the museum itself is well worth the visit. I remember the day at Bretts shop when the museum lady came in to chat to us and there was some assuming comments among ourselves later on and I am not surprised at all that she choose the LAH as a topic as she seemed interested in any sort of collection that maybe deemed slightly controversial and Brett is correct any collection of figures about Australia's colonial past would have certainly gained her interest.
Wayne.
(P.S yes Jack I do know what context means....:wink2:)

I am going in on Thursday to see this collection about collecting and will take my camera and take some pics around and about the museum to give some context, the museum itself is well worth the visit. I remember the day at Bretts shop when the museum lady came in to chat to us and there was some assuming comments among ourselves later on and I am not surprised at all that she choose the LAH as a topic as she seemed interested in any sort of collection that maybe deemed slightly controversial and Brett is correct any collection of figures about Australia's colonial past would have certainly gained her interest.
Wayne.
(P.S yes Jack I do know what context means....:wink2:)

Yet the comma remains a mystery!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back