My JJD Conquest of America............. (1 Viewer)

mikemiller1955

Lieutenant General
These first 4 pictures are of the Aztec Peasant Levy...
I have 25 Aztecs, 9 Conquistadors and only 2 Talaxcaltecs so far...
so I'm hoping some more conquistadors are coming soon...
I will add pictures as they become available...

The Peasant levy made up the core of the Aztec army. These commoners had no access to extravagant armour, and usually wore simple quilted cotton armour.

The majority of these troops were armed with a bow.
These archers were sometimes accompanied by shield-bearers, who were trained to defend the archers and were experts at deflecting arrows with their shields.

Aztec young novice warriors or soldiers who had only captured one of the enemy, usually wore simple cotton quilted tlahuiztli body armour, and carried a simple maquahuitl.

Attachments

• 000_0005_04.jpg
    000_0005_04.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 606
  • 000_0003_03.jpg
    000_0003_03.jpg
    282.1 KB · Views: 601
  • 000_0003_05.jpg
    000_0003_05.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 600
  • 000_0005_05.jpg
    000_0005_05.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 603
Looks great Mike! Not my area of interest but anything JJ does always looks fine and catches my eye.

You did an awesome job in setting up these scenes. Thanks for posting them!

Mark

These first 4 pictures are of the Aztec Peasant Levy...
I have 25 Aztecs, 9 Conquistadors and only 2 Talaxcaltecs so far...
so I'm hoping some more conquistadors are coming soon...
I will add pictures as they become available...

The Peasant levy made up the core of the Aztec army. These commoners had no access to extravagant armour, and usually wore simple quilted cotton armour.

The majority of these troops were armed with a bow.
These archers were sometimes accompanied by shield-bearers, who were trained to defend the archers and were experts at deflecting arrows with their shields.

Aztec young novice warriors or soldiers who had only captured one of the enemy, usually wore simple cotton quilted tlahuiztli body armour, and carried a simple maquahuitl.

Excellent depictions !

Love the Lush Greenery.

Thank you for posting.

Brilliant Mike, hope you are making room for the temple. I am preferring the simple peasant style of Aztec rather the elaborate costume, just a personal thing. Agree some more Conquistadors would help to even up the sides, although my cannon crew go some way toward this. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with next. Robin.

Excellent pics! I never get tired of seeing these figures. Cant collect them because I'm spread to thin along lines I collect so I'll enjoy your photos.

a few more pics with different figures...

I'm gonna post some more...but will wait for more Conquistadors...

Attachments

• 101_3253.jpg
    101_3253.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 229
  • 101_3255.jpg
    101_3255.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 232
  • 101_3258.jpg
    101_3258.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 246
  • 101_3260.jpg
    101_3260.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 234
  • 101_3262.jpg
    101_3262.jpg
    319.3 KB · Views: 239
Hello Mike, I like your jungle scenes but I surmise that you would be like me and have to make significant alterations to include the pyramid and city walls. I will only get the pyramid and put it on the end with another extension. To include everything would make the diorama too big and this is something i'm trying to avoid these days. If one had known how this series has developed I could have set it out better. As soon as I get figures in a new series I have to place them in a setting and this has led to me doing a lot of changes to my dioramas over the years. I wonder why the other mounted conquistador has not been released yet? I'm going to pick up the JJD Roman bridge today and the pyramid and the ships plus the whiskey scalps and beaver series will all have a serious impact on my finances in the coming months. I forgot to mention that I have already built my Team Miniatures Peking diorama and have not seen a figure yet. I think i'm too impulsive. Regards Greg.

Greg...

it's not a cheap hobby...that's for sure...

with JJD's Whiskey, Scalps and Beaver series now on my list...it's another financial commitment for sure...

as far as room...I ran out of space to display any new series in my house 2-3 series ago...

I'm a little unsure of what John has committed to on structures...you mentioned a pyramid in your post...maybe I missed something...I thought it was going to be temple walls...

as far as my current jungle diorama...I have already outgrown it and will either dismantle it and use the vegetative scenery...or make a new diorama using a flat plains type of groundwork for the structures...

does anybody know for sure what structures he has committed to?

Fairly sure the gun is lost at this point of time, given overwhelming odds. The Conquistadors are badly outnumbered despite their heavy fire power. Hopefully the next encounter will see a more even conflict. Big mistake in siting the gun with no clear field of fire, a costly lesson. Nicely portrayed Mike. Robin.

Looking forward to the temple, walls, gate and corners to come.

Looking forward to the temple, walls, gate and corners to come.

Robin...

thanks for the post...

so...

to the best of your understanding...

is this what is forthcoming?

temple, walls, gate and corners?
or a pyramid?

was this mentioned by John and I missed it?

Temple whatever. I'm not going to get into a argument over it. Greg.

Temple whatever. I'm not going to get into a argument over it. Greg.

Greg...

no arguments with me...^&grin
only asking for clarification...

Andy (K&C) mentioned a pyramid for his Ancient Egypt series...

I looked back about 4-5 months on JJD Treefrog threads on Conquest of America...

I can't find a reference from JJD confirming temple walls or pyramids....

just trying to pre-plan...like you do...on what I'm gonna make to display them...

Greg...

this is embarrassing...:redface2:

I'm getting old...

I actually posted these pictures myself a while back...

they are off JJD's Facebook...

there is a small pyramid structure with an altar on top...
and some temple walls and entrance......

mystery solved...^&grin

Attachments

• 290879DD-8C02-4E8B-BC26-9DCD7E57BDDD.jpeg
    290879DD-8C02-4E8B-BC26-9DCD7E57BDDD.jpeg
    64.9 KB · Views: 222
Mike,

You put lots of thought into your diorama. Everything is always well placed. Look forward to your next post. Please PM me regarding that plaster product you told me about; I'm close to building a bridge.

Steve

I got a new mounted Conquistador today...

Attachments

• 101_3278.jpg
    101_3278.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 176
Brad...

even if he was outnumbered...
he would just give them some Old World disease...:(
50% of the Aztec population died of smallpox...

and the Aztecs were psychologically scared to death of horses...
never seeing them before...
they originally thought that the rider and beast was one singular being...

the Conquistadors had their way with the Aztecs...
of the 1/4 million Aztec that died in the campaign of the Battle at Tenochtitlan...
less than 1,000 Conquistadors died...

Brad...

even if he was outnumbered...
he would just give them some Old World disease...:(
50% of the Aztec population died of smallpox...

and the Aztecs were psychologically scared to death of horses...
never seeing them before...
they originally thought that the rider and beast was one singular being...

the Conquistadors had their way with the Aztecs...
of the 1/4 million Aztec that died in the campaign of the Battle at Tenochtitlan...
less than 1,000 Conquistadors died...
Mike, those are astounding numbers. Does the total include all causes...disease...battle casualties...or is it all battle casualties? I have virtually no real knowledge of this era so I would also like a suggestion as to what one book might be the best to read, if one such exists. Thanks in advance. -- Al

Al, here are some suggestions:

When Montezuma Met Cortes: The True Story of the Meeting that Changed History, by Matthew Restall

Conquest: Montezuma, Cortez and the Fall of Old Mexico, by Hugh Thomas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back