Napoleonic ID required please. (1 Viewer)

Rediarmor

Private 1st Class
I have acquired another figure, and would love to know who made it. It measures 110mm in total height, and has the following marks underneath:-
A 84 A S (then possibly another "A" then 15
Please ignore the bottle as I made it, This figure came in four pieces, and is now re-assembled. There was possibly a backpack, as there is a strange lip, see 2nd pic.

Any information on the maker or regiment would be appreciated.

Thank you Dan, I appreciate your answer. I love Stadden figures, but am not familiar with the Andrew Stadden ones. I have looked up a few, and you could be right, I am hoping someone on her can confirm or deny. I find it strange that there are no pics of this (not that I can find anyway).
I wasn't happy with the bag on his left hip, so have repainted it off-white. I am at the moment making a backpack.
Thanks again Dan.

Update:- I have e-mailed Andy Stadden and unfortunately he doesn't think it's a Stadden, he was very helpful, and it's nice to cross out one from the list. I am struggling to make a backpack that looks "right", I may even just cut off the lip & touch up with paint. Thanks anyway Dan.

Final update - ID discovered!
I sent pics to Andy Stadden, and he confirmed it wasn't a Stadden, but could tell me it was one of the Almond Sculptures range, sculpted by Richard Almond. The Soldier should have a Canteen, not a bottle - OOPS! He should also have a Musket of course!

OK, I am happy now, The bottle can stay, it seems to sit well. I just need a Brown Bess! AND a bayonet scabbard, plus a small pouch too.

Last edited:
...I am struggling to make a backpack that looks "right"...

How are you going about it, Dan? That is, my first thought is to sculpt one out of putty, like Milliput, or Aves Apoxie Sculpt (my sculpting medium of choice now). It's a relatively simple shape, so if you've never sculpted, it's a good first exercise.

Prost!
Brad

Hi Brad. I was thinking of a few sheets of card, covered in glue, with foil wrapped around it. Straps would them be added, and a blanket roll made from sheet lead. I like your thinking though, it would be good experience to use putty.

Last edited:
This is the backpack I want to copy, Mr Milliput is looking like a contender.

Last edited:
Final update - ID discovered!
I sent pics to Andy Stadden, and he confirmed it wasn't a Stadden, but could tell me it was one of the Almond Sculptures range, sculpted by Richard Almond. The Soldier should have a Canteen, not a bottle - OOPS! He should also have a Musket of course!

OK, I am happy now, The bottle can stay, it seems to sit well. I just need a Brown Bess! AND a bayonet scabbard, plus a small pouch too.

Yes it's an Almond
You can see it in the old Almond catalog at this adress

http://www.mirofsoft.com/nostalgia-old-catalog-pdf/

By the way, it's a very good painted piece you have here
Best

Hi Mirof. Thank you for the links. Unfortunately I can't open the one I want, but some of the others are brilliant! I will be going through them systematically when I have the time. I still have some work to do on the figure, but I am sure it will look good. Thanks again.

Off the top of my head I believe he is a sergeant of the light company (Green plume and wings) of the 33rd foot (Duke of Wellingtons regiment).

Martin

Thank you Martin. Just one question, he has the green plume, but where are the wings? I do realise I am probably the only one here who doesn't know. :eek:

Rediarmor;597858 said:
Thank you Martin. Just one question, he has the green plume, but where are the wings? I do realise I am probably the only one here who doesn't know. :eek:

If I may, the wings are the shoulder pieces. The British army adopted them during the Hannoverian reign, influenced by the contact with the various German armies. The wings developed from vertical strips of lace applied to the upper arm of the sleeve, at the shoulder, on musician's uniforms. The rest of the sleeve, then, had horizontal strips or chevrons down the remaining length to the cuffs. In the German armies, they remained a mark of a musician's uniform, developing into the Schwalbennest, "swallow's nest". In the British army, they were used at various times as distinctions for various types of infantry, like the grenadiers or the light troops.

Hope that helps, prosit!
Brad

Thank you Brad, very informative. My wings are red/white, does this mean mine has been painted incorrectly? I am happy with the look as he is, so I hope he isn't incorrectly dressed. I still have a few parts to make for him, and am suffering from the "lack of time syndrome".

Hi,
This figure was sculpted by the late Richard Almond.
I carry quite a range of 90mm and 100mm figures by David grieve.
If you still require a pack please message me, my 90mm pack for my David grieve 95th rifleman should be fine
Best wishes

Www.cgsmilitaryfigures.co.uk

Thank you Brad, very informative. My wings are red/white, does this mean mine has been painted incorrectly? I am happy with the look as he is, so I hope he isn't incorrectly dressed. I still have a few parts to make for him, and am suffering from the "lack of time syndrome".

I agree with Martin, I think the ground color of the wings should be green. If I'm not mistaken, that was the color for the light infantry, derived from the colors used by light troops like Jäger. I don't have any specific references on the British army in the Napoleonic Wars, however, so I can't cite a source, I just recall having read it somewhere.

Prost!
Brad

I checked the Regimental Distinctions in Osprey's Men-At-Arms Series #119 (Wellington's Infantry Vol. 2) and the figure per it's plaque is a true representation of an NCO from the 53rd Shropshire (Red Facings with Red Stripe lace pattern).

Thank you Stamford, very interesting. They are yet another defunct Regiment, (However still doing sterling service as "The Rifles". He would not be a Sergeant then, more properly a "Serjeant". I will amend my label to 53rd Shropshire Regt of foot, or "Brickdusts" as they were known.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back