Napoleonics! (1 Viewer)

Thanks you all.

More photos, Glen? No problem! By all means please visit my facebook page where I have over 400 photos, predominantly napoleonic but occasionally my one and only ww2 piece makes a proud and defiant show. Search Facebook for microscenix. I did have a link in my signature but inexplicably it was directing people to, of all things, a dating site. Not my fault, and I can only apologise (unless you found a new partner in which case please invite me to the wedding). I imagine it's some sort of hack/hijack.

LRG-DSC01286.jpg

LRG-DSC01285.jpg

D3-EA6-AC9-6-A31-43-D8-A20-F-7-C8873-CE0-AA8.jpg

LRG-DSC01307.jpg

LRG-DSC01300.jpg

What's that coming over the hill?

Big thanks to wwiibuff I've applied his photography tips and I'm pleased with the results.

7-ACA5800-5-BC1-4-D97-A454-CFF1-D87-E72-CB.jpg

Cheers,
ollie

I can totally relate, and I'm working on exactly what you have described, scenes which can be redressed creating a fresh view. It's a work in progress and a long journey, too. But fun. Modular scenery is definitely a domain of war gamers. I think most toysoldier collectors like solid pieces becuase they can be more realistic. And maybe it's a question of scale too? In 1/30 a river with lots of curves might be meters long.
I hope you do get back to Diorama making!

Ollie

I partly agree with you, however it's surprising what you can do with Modular scenery with regards to semi-permanent displays. Of course you'll never achieve a realistic scene with Modular scenery, but IMO some strategically placed buildings, trees etc can really enhance a display.

For example I recently placed a strip of artificial turf under my TCS Huey Chopper, yes the stuff you make fake lawns out of. The grass is about 1" high, I've flattened it a bit like the blades would, looks pretty good with the K & C Vietnam figures, like they've landed into a field of Cane Grass or similar. Knowing me I'll change that display within a month or so to something completely different, like landing near a Bamboo hut or whatever.

The point I'm trying to make is I can't be the only person that likes to play with their 1/30 scale toys, and some movable Stream/River and Road sections etc would be useful to construct more variety. I agree with you that 1/30 scale is to large for winding sections of a River, however at that scale an almost straight or slightly curved section of a river would look OK. I have tried Blue coloured cardboard to go with my K & C Pontoon Bridge, but it doesn't look the best. I'm open to suggestions on what to use as a stream section for that display, maybe glass, any ideas?

I partly agree with you, however it's surprising what you can do with Modular scenery with regards to semi-permanent displays. Of course you'll never achieve a realistic scene with Modular scenery, but IMO some strategically placed buildings, trees etc can really enhance a display.

For example I recently placed a strip of artificial turf under my TCS Huey Chopper, yes the stuff you make fake lawns out of. The grass is about 1" high, I've flattened it a bit like the blades would, looks pretty good with the K & C Vietnam figures, like they've landed into a field of Cane Grass or similar. Knowing me I'll change that display within a month or so to something completely different, like landing near a Bamboo hut or whatever.

The point I'm trying to make is I can't be the only person that likes to play with their 1/30 scale toys, and some movable Stream/River and Road sections etc would be useful to construct more variety. I agree with you that 1/30 scale is to large for winding sections of a River, however at that scale an almost straight or slightly curved section of a river would look OK. I have tried Blue coloured cardboard to go with my K & C Pontoon Bridge, but it doesn't look the best. I'm open to suggestions on what to use as a stream section for that display, maybe glass, any ideas?

Yes, scenes optional display elements are far better. I try to make a fairly straight forward base which, alone, can suffice as a stage for a diorama. Then additional walls, boulders, trees and dishes can be added. It's amazing how much it alters the atmosphere of the scene, and keeps it fresh a versatile.

the artificial grass sounds great. Regarding a river there are numerous products to model water which could give great results. It all depends what kind of river. I'd personally cut the shape I wanted out of a basing material, like thick card (though it may warp), paint it green, and cover it in a gloss medium.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back