New guy with comments & questions (1 Viewer)

boot51

Hello everyone, my name is Fred and I'm new to collecting K&C, two weeks today to be exact. In that short time I've come to appreciate the quality and attention to detail that K&C puts into their products. I've always been interested in history in general with WWII my favorite era. So far I've been concentrating on buying retired items in the Waffen SS and Normandy lines that are still in stock before they're gone, things seem sell out fast. The Wittman Tiger is awesome and the Winter Tiger is the prize of my collection, looks like I discovered K&C just in time to get one of those. I haven't ventured into the Afrika Corp line yet, that new Rommel staff car looks great, and the new British Sherman looks nice also, but I don't know if I want to start collecting the Bristish forces yet, anyone have any opinions on branching out into these areas. Also, I recently received a WS67 King Tiger, another very nice piece, but I have question about the gun, unlike the gun on the Wittman and Winter Tigers which will stay in any position it is put in, the King Tiger's gun just rests in the lower most position, seems loose, is this how it is supposed to be?

Thanks to all for such a great forum, I've been looking in for about a week now and finally decided to join in, please excuse my bad spelling and grammar. Oh, if anyone has a WS69 Stug IV that's taking up too room their collection, funny huh! Fred H

boot51 said:
Thanks to all for such a great forum, I've been looking in for about a week now and finally decided to join in, please excuse my bad spelling and grammar. Oh, if anyone has a WS69 Stug IV that's taking up too room their collection, funny huh! Fred H

Welcome on board Fred. The WS69 is still available here in Europe in limited quantities,

http://www.diecast-international.com/store.asp

but not much use if you are American or Australian.

Thanks for the welcome, Cannon, I'm in the good ol USA, just south of Boston, I'll keep looking for the Stug over here, but I don't won't get my hpoes too high, anyway, there's plenty more K&C I don't have yet to spend my money on.... don't show this to my wife! Fred

Fred,

Welcome. Since you're new, one site you need to take a look at, which is indispensible to most of us, is www.toysoldiersusa.com

In there, you can see most of what King and Country has ever made, plus part of the collection of Louis Badolato, one of the foremost collectors, who has an encyclopediac mind and is a member here. You can also look and print the brochures there.

Regarding the British Sherman that is a limited edition vehicle that is already out of print so if you can find one, grab it. Only 700 were made, mostly for British collectors.

I love the British forces material and they're all ready accessible and still buyable, except for the Arnhem material and the Matilda. The Matilda can still be bought at a generally reasonable price. I also love the AK and EA material and encourage you to get it. I can't imagine how long the Mark III, Mark IV and the 25 Pound gun will be around. I imagine they must be candidates for retirement.

If there's anything you'd like to know, just post, send me a PM or an email. We're all here to help you.

I know you're interested in getting the retired stuff but that does get expensive as you will see so you might want to set your focus on the current material.

Hi Fred,

Welcome aboard.

There is nothing wrong in collecting British K&C, just give in, you can't go against the Empire for long.

A quick question for you and I know you haven't been in the hobby for long but is there any Toy Soldier retailers in the Boston area ( If there is my wife would be so pleased ).

Regards

Andy

Dear Fred,

Welcome aboard!

Dear Andy,

In the Boston area there are two King & Country dealers, both of whom are great guys: Matt Murphy at the Hobby Bunker and George Guerriero at Minute Men Toy Soldiers. For contact info check the K&C website.

Regards,

Louis

Hey jazzeum, thanks for the welcome, comments and link to the web site, I'll check it out. It's pretty much a sure thing that I'll be ordering the new AK stuff, still on the fence on the British Sherman.
Hi UK BOD, thanks for your welcome also, really nice people on this forum. Hobbybunker is north of Boston, suppose to be a large K&C dealer, have not been there in person, but it is where I purchased my Winter Tiger, so they're OK by me. My father was born in the UK, Blackpool, so it's only natural that I'll be drawn to British forces sooner or later. Fred

Louis Badolato said:
Dear Fred,

Welcome aboard!

Dear Andy,

In the Boston area there are two King & Country dealers, both of whom are great guys: Matt Murphy at the Hobby Bunker and George Guerriero at Minute Men Toy Soldiers. For contact info check the K&C website.

Regards,

Louis

Louis is right, they're great guys. Their websites are at:

http://www.mmtoysoldiers.com/
http://www.hobbybunker.com/index.cfm

Welcome aboard,

Carlos

Thanks Louis and Carlos, I didn't know about Minute Men, I'll have to check them out, Hobby Bunker has been really helpful, I have a DD38 Armoured on order right now. Anyone familiar with the King Tiger and it's gun configuration? Fred

Hi Fred, and welcome aboard!!! Hope you learna lot about the hobby, just like I do here.

About the King Tiger barrel: the barrel doesn't stay up when you elevate it. It's perfectly normal, and just how it was made.

Hope you have a great time here.

(whoho, sergeant right away...:rolleyes: )

Last edited:
Thanks Joey, that's what I thought, but it never hurts to ask. Looking forward to the WS71 revised paint scheme version. Can't find a DD50 Hellcat at any dealers, am I too late, was it a limited edition? Fred

Fred,

That's just an item that has been retired, that's all. It is getting expensive.

Here's one on ebay, http://cgi.ebay.com/King-Country-U-...oryZ2634QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The price that is at now is reasonable. I maintain a list of ebay prices retired WW II items and this has generally been in the $90 to $100 area but I expect it will start moving up soon.

You may not be interested in the North Africa material yet but I would get the Strictly Limited Greif, only because it will probably go fast and it may be expensive to get once you become interested in this range.

Hey Brad, that one on ebay, that's me bidding! As for the new AK pieces, I'm convinced, I'm ordering today, but you have tell my wife! Anyone ever deal with Arqubus? Fred

Fred,

I thought that might be you. I have dealt with Arquebus a few times. They're very nice people and ship very quickly.

Welcome to the the forum Boot51!!! I,m from south of boston also and you have to make the trip to the hobby bunker to check it out. You,ll love it its a great store that is huge and has every thing in it and if your into the gameing thing they do that in the store on the week ends sometimes. they have big tables set up out back for this. I,m not into the WWII thing i,m into napoleonics but as far as what to collect (like you asked) i,d suggest that you collect what catches YOUR EYES and not someone elses. This hobby is for your enjoyment and you should collect the figures and pieces that you like and make you happy no matter what company makes it or what size it is if you like it buy it and don,t let anyone influnce what catches YOUR EYES. That said i welcome a fellow new englander to the forum.:D

Brad; The reason I asked about Arqubus is that with free shipping and no MA sales tax that's all the more to spend on K&C. The four bucks shipping at Treefrog ain't bad either! Fred

Thanks Fishead, I welcome any and all comments and advice, my only other collecting experience is diecast cars, mostly Exoto, which are extremely well detailed, my wife is into Steiff (German teddybears) so she can't complain too much about this K&C stuff! Fred

Welcome to the asylum for wayward collectors.

You are new to this obsession and I do not envy you your journey. It will be long and difficult. I have already made this journey, as have many other members of this forum. You will have many difficult choices to make in your journey to a completed collection.

You will have to decide between food and K&C (or other types). You will need to determine if your wife really loves you when you have spent your children's college fund attempting to get all the K&C sets issued in the DD or the WS series. Your banker will wonder what happened to your home when you have sold it to your "dealer" just to get that last figure in the series, you know the one, the one you will "just die" without.

The journey will be long and challenging. But the path is well worn and the rewards are great. After all, what are friends or family for, except to give you toy soldiers at Christmas or on your birthday, or to sell for more soldiers. :D Michael

Thanks for words of wisdom, Michael, every journey must begin with first step, the first EXPENSIVE step, but anything worth doin' is worth doin' right. Right now my wife and I are in the process of finishing part of our basement, quess what it's going to be filled with.

I'd like to thank all of you for the warm welcome, good advice and information, I feel like part of a close family of friends. Thanks, Fred

Users who are viewing this thread

Back