New K&C M5A1 Stuart came today!!!!! (1 Viewer)

binder001

Command Sergeant Major
Thanks to George Guerriero at Minuteman Toy Soldiers I just got my new M5A1 (DD67) today, along with "Reach for the Sky" figures (I'd like to be one who can get them ALL at once, but these are the two I can afford right now).

Anyway, the M5A1 is a beauty. The figures are very nice and fit the vehicle. I never had the original M5A1, so I can't state the total of improvements , but from the old ones I've seen, THIS is much nicer. The M5A1 Stuart was an important, but overlooked tank in WW2. Every tank battalion had three companies of medium tanks, and a fourth company of M5A1s. The first few M24 Chaffee appeared at the Battle of the Bulge, but wholesale replacements didn't start until 1945 and some tank units finished the war with their M5A1s.

Andy has done his usual FINE job of adding stowage and extra gear. Some may not like the suspension being cast in relief, but on this little tank it just isn't that big of a problem, especially as Andy has left the dust shields in place.

Downsides: Andy must still be working from the very mediocre Tamiya M5A1 as his sculpting master. My hint - the tracks! Andy on ALL US tanks the end connectors go BETWEEN the track blocks. That's what holds the track together. Tamiya made a common 1970s mistake of putting the connectors on the END on the block and this has carried over to all the M5A1s built using this kit as a pattern (note the 21C plastic one has the same problem). Other than that and the shape of the handle on the .30 cal hatch MG (your sculptors can do better, sir!) there isn't anything to complain about. All-in-all a very nice addition to the DDay series and coverage of an often-missing tank.

Gary Binder

Recieved mine today from George also. I am not so much the purest, so I love everything about this tank. I had the earlier model and this one seems smaller and in my opinion a better sized model. I have got to be the only one ,who has no issues with the K/C tracks. Also why bother making the guns elevate , when they refuse to stay up.....Michael

binder001 said:
Thanks to George Guerriero at Minuteman Toy Soldiers I just got my new M5A1 (DD67) today, along with "Reach for the Sky" figures (I'd like to be one who can get them ALL at once, but these are the two I can afford right now).

Anyway, the M5A1 is a beauty. The figures are very nice and fit the vehicle. I never had the original M5A1, so I can't state the total of improvements , but from the old ones I've seen, THIS is much nicer. The M5A1 Stuart was an important, but overlooked tank in WW2. Every tank battalion had three companies of medium tanks, and a fourth company of M5A1s. The first few M24 Chaffee appeared at the Battle of the Bulge, but wholesale replacements didn't start until 1945 and some tank units finished the war with their M5A1s.

Andy has done his usual FINE job of adding stowage and extra gear. Some may not like the suspension being cast in relief, but on this little tank it just isn't that big of a problem, especially as Andy has left the dust shields in place.

Downsides: Andy must still be working from the very mediocre Tamiya M5A1 as his sculpting master. My hint - the tracks! Andy on ALL US tanks the end connectors go BETWEEN the track blocks. That's what holds the track together. Tamiya made a common 1970s mistake of putting the connectors on the END on the block and this has carried over to all the M5A1s built using this kit as a pattern (note the 21C plastic one has the same problem). Other than that and the shape of the handle on the .30 cal hatch MG (your sculptors can do better, sir!) there isn't anything to complain about. All-in-all a very nice addition to the DDay series and coverage of an often-missing tank.

Gary Binder

maddadicus said:
Recieved mine today from George also. I am not so much the purest, so I love everything about this tank. I had the earlier model and this one seems smaller and in my opinion a better sized model. I have got to be the only one ,who has no issues with the K/C tracks. Also why bother making the guns elevate , when they refuse to stay up.....Michael

Mine's on the way and on the technical details, I couldn't agree more. I'll never make it to Firebat's "real" hall of fame.;)

Keeping with the "what I bought from George today" theme, he stopped by the house today to drop of my K&C Sherman and another set of German tank riders, no not for the Sherman, but for the HB Barkmann panther he brought on his last home delivery visit. He also brought along the new Stuart so I could have a look at it, very nice, yes the tracks still need work, but over all a nicely detailed little tank, and I do mean little. Hate to be in one those things busting through a hedgerow with a panther on the other side, not good.:eek:

Fred

The pic of the M5A1 on the K & C site seems to disguise any obvious wheel/track problems, but from binder's comments it seems they remain. I guess we'll have to wait longer for the improvements in that area.

That said, personally I wouldn't be to concerned with detail problems with the actual track linkage as even well detailed plastic kit makers cut corners in that area.

Mike Neville From K&C UK had the Stuart on display at Toy Soldier Show London i have ordered it and should be in UK in a couple of weeks. Tony Neville had made a nice Hedgerow diorama for it. So i have paid for that to be made as well.

Nice little scene do you have any pics Tony to Show Treefrog as it was good.

Monty

Monty

I think my brother got a couple and Kevin!!! but i know that Kevin will be keeping those shots for himself as i was in them!!!:D

Thanks for the positive comments about my Bocage scene

Tony

binder001 said:

Gary Binder

Thanks for the technical details, I really apreciate a straight forward review like that, you are my kind of guy. With that report all of my tanks will still be purchased form Houour Bound and possible New Model Army (After I see someones objective review). Make it real or I ain't buying it, the real revolution is up and running. Although I may give the Stewart a try (If I can determine no one else is going to make it in 1/30th) the flaws seem to be relatively minor. As I am rapidly expanding my collection, I have to admit King and Country is still the by far "Get Real" king of soldiers and jeeps etc...."GET REAL" Alex

Last edited:
jazzeum said:
Mine's on the way and on the technical details, I couldn't agree more. I'll never make it to Firebat's "real" hall of fame.;)

Brad
Although I appreciate your running of this wonderful forum, and I really mean it. I am sorry that I do not agree with your forgiving attitude to manufacturers. You also have done a lot to help me break into the hobby, and I thank you for that.
I never belonged to a Forum like this for any other of my hobbies, but with the participation of the manufacturers in this forum, I see the value in it. Yes, I was going to pack it in a while back, but through supporting private message, and some inroads I have made, mostly through the appreciation of the caliber of my dioramas, which has stimulated many members. I have gone from a newbie to the supporter of a cause. This is not rocket science, and having been a Military Modeler for over 45 years, and a member of this forum for several months. I see the picture clearly now. I don't endorse confrontation, as the objective of a hobby is fun, but I will do what I can to support the cause of the "Get Real" crowd. I hope one day you will see the value of the "Get Real" movement and join us. As was told to me many times if you dint like it don't buy it, debating is no fun, the wallet carries a lot of weight, and that is our greatest weapon.

Respectfully Alex

Last edited:
When I started to collect K/C, I never saw them as a dead to the rivet scale model of the real thing. To me ,they were a representative sculpture of toy models that I grew up with. Toy like, yet painted and uniquely detailed... No offence, but I have seen " rivet counters " try to have their way with the 3 rail toy train community and the more the mfg. try to accomidate, the more picky the counters get. The no middle ground mentality of the counters are never satisfied, and in this case, K/C should not even bother. If its not the tracks, its a mg handle, or a wrong hatch cover, a misplaced tow hook. Get my meaning. For K/C to go down this road becomes a bottomless pit, with no end in sight. The 99% of us ,who do not care, will always buy our favorites ,even if they are not dead on. The 1% who will see something wrong with any release will always find a reason not to buy it. I wish somedays, that I had the modeling and historical knowledge skills that the scale guys have, but I do not, so please leave my K/C toys alone. Let me continue to enjoy them ,warts and all. This is not a put down on the scale guys. I just do not think K/C could ever satisfy your tastes...Michael

Firebat said:
Brad
Although I appreciate your running of this wonderful forum, and I really mean it. I am sorry that I do not agree with your forgiving attitude to manufacturers. You also have done a lot to help me break into the hobby, and I thank you for that.
I never belonged to a Forum like this for any other of my hobbies, but with the participation of the manufacturers in this forum, I see the value in it. Yes, I was going to pack it in a while back, but through supporting private message, and some inroads I have made, mostly through the appreciation of the caliber of my dioramas, which has stimulated many members. I have gone from a newbie to the supporter of a cause. This is not rocket science, and having been a Military Modeler for over 45 years, and a member of this forum for several months. I see the picture clearly now. I don't endorse confrontation, as the objective of a hobby is fun, but I will do what I can to support the cause of the "Get Real" crowd. I hope one day you will see the value of the "Get Real" movement and join us. As was told to me many times if you dint like it don't buy it, debating is no fun, the wallet carries a lot of weight, and that is our greatest weapon.

Respectfully Alex

I understand that some of us want realism, some want, well shall I call it, cubism?:rolleyes: I look at the Figarti M5 and the K&C M5 and I see two completely different wonderful versions of the same great tank model. I see the same thing when looking at panthers; the HB and K&C and even FOV (I love FOV tanks bestest of all by the way). I've got'em most of them and I like all the versions. Some days I like the realism of the Figarti and some days I like the cubism of the K&C. Each has, to me, a reason for being in my collection.

But I will say this, I am glad that we are discussing this. To me: NOBODY IS WRONG and NOBODY IS RIGHT; everybody is correct in their own minds and wallets. As long as the improvements keep coming, I'll keep buying. I buys whats I likes and I likes it all - so far.;)

I can not wait for FOV to begin newer visions of vehicles and not just repaints of the same Tiger, Sherman, Panzer IV, Halftrack, etc. Where are the mack tow trucks, engineers/SEABEES vehicles (dump trucks, bull dozers, graders, etc.), where are the support vehicles, fuel tankers; and, where the heck are the dragon wagons and recovery vehicles (thank you HB very much for the German version, now lets see some Allied versions). Do we have to have more tigers, panzers, panthers, shermans?:confused:

maddadicus said:
Let me continue to enjoy them ,warts and all. This is not a put down on the scale guys. I just do not think K/C could ever satisfy your tastes...Michael

Actually, I'm less of a "rivet counter" than you imagine! I also have different standards for my scale models and my "toy" tanks. I just mentioned the two items on the M5A1 because 1) I HAVE seen Andy's sculptor's do better MGs, and 2) The track thing is just mildly offensive because it was so preventable. One e-mail asking about the salient errors in the old Tamiya kit could have allowed for a correction during construction of the master. If they painted a big pink heart on one of the Panthers wouldn't you comment?

I DO hold K&C to a different standard than "scale models" or the diecast tank makers. The casting of the suspension in "relief" is one example - it doesn't bother me (as long as the right suspension is depicted). My comments were meant to point out a couple small points, not to dissuade anyone from getting DD67. I'm a fan of "scale" models, but I like the new K&C M5A1 and am quite happy that that I added one to my K&C GIs.

Even if the ambualnce jeep isn't perfect, I really looking forward to getting mine, PLUS I'll look seriously at any other US vehicles that Andy chooses to produce. As far as DD67, I hope Andy sells all of them (then he'll make me more new vehicles!).

I still reserve the right to point out the bad along with the good.

Gary

maddadicus said:
When I started to collect K/C, I never saw them as a dead to the rivet scale model of the real thing. To me ,they were a representative sculpture of toy models that I grew up with. Toy like, yet painted and uniquely detailed... No offence, but I have seen " rivet counters " try to have their way with the 3 rail toy train community and the more the mfg. try to accomidate, the more picky the counters get. The no middle ground mentality of the counters are never satisfied, and in this case, K/C should not even bother. If its not the tracks, its a mg handle, or a wrong hatch cover, a misplaced tow hook. Get my meaning. For K/C to go down this road becomes a bottomless pit, with no end in sight. The 99% of us ,who do not care, will always buy our favorites ,even if they are not dead on. The 1% who will see something wrong with any release will always find a reason not to buy it. I wish somedays, that I had the modeling and historical knowledge skills that the scale guys have, but I do not, so please leave my K/C toys alone. Let me continue to enjoy them ,warts and all. This is not a put down on the scale guys. I just do not think K/C could ever satisfy your tastes...Michael

They already have satisfied me, I think they do a great job. I researched some of their older stuff from about a year and a half ago and I would not touch it, having seen what they have done since then peaked my interest and I made the decision to go with it. And to me the more they improve the closer they get to scale. The scale models even have mistakes. Like I said before, they make great soldiers and vehicles, but Houour Bound makes a better tank right now,who knows what the future holds. I don't count the rivets I look for a realistic feel and for the most part that feel has been achieved. A good example would be the recent Panthers K&C actually has a more striking look, but Houour Bound has a more realistic feel. I think all of us will be satisfied as the hobby progresses, personally I am thrilled with the improvement in the realism...Alex

Firebat, if you think you've copped some heat since joining this forum, you should have seen some replies to my earlier posts where I suggested that K & C could do with some improvements in detail etc. The fact is that K & C currently promote themselves as being manufacturers of accurate collectable military models. Therefore we cannot compare the company and its products to earlier products made as childrens toys be they toy soldiers or toy trains etc.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand in past times K & C made executive toys intended for display in offices etc as a conversation piece rather than as an accurate example of the protoype. The products have evolved with steady increases in detail to expand their market to a wider group of collectors that include past plastic kit builders such as myself. Clearly this expansion will continue to cause some conflict between supporters of the variety of preferences that we have as individuals.

As far as 1/32 vehicles go, I now couldn't be bothered building plastic kits so I mainly collect FOV models as compared to K & C and HB they provide good detail at a reasonable cost. In addition I feel ok with repainting or changing FOV models which is something I would be reluctant to do with K & C or HB because of their cost.

That said, I welcome the day when polystone achieves more accurate detail at a reasonable cost, and this will happen as more collectors make production less expensive. As someone said earlier, no one is right or wrong, as we all have different ideas about what we want to collect. For example I like many of the K & C WWII figures especially the LAH range as K & C are one of the few manufacturers that dare to produce these contentious figures. The fact the LAH range is among the most popular sellers suggests a number of collectors appreciate that opportunity. The bottom line is that if you don't like something don't buy it. However we should always have the freedom to make critical (not personal) comments about military models and subjects on this forum.

OzDigger said:
Firebat, if you think you've copped some heat since joining this forum, you should have seen some replies to my earlier posts where I suggested that K & C could do with some improvements in detail etc. The fact is that K & C currently promote themselves as being manufacturers of accurate collectable military models. Therefore we cannot compare the company and its products to earlier products made as childrens toys be they toy soldiers or toy trains etc.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand in past times K & C made executive toys intended for display in offices etc as a conversation piece rather than as an accurate example of the protoype. The products have evolved with steady increases in detail to expand their market to a wider group of collectors that include past plastic kit builders such as myself. Clearly this expansion will continue to cause some conflict between supporters of the variety of preferences that we have as individuals.

As far as 1/32 vehicles go, I now couldn't be bothered building plastic kits so I mainly collect FOV models as compared to K & C and HB they provide good detail at a reasonable cost. In addition I feel ok with repainting or changing FOV models which is something I would be reluctant to do with K & C or HB because of their cost.

That said, I welcome the day when polystone achieves more accurate detail at a reasonable cost, and this will happen as more collectors make production less expensive. As someone said earlier, no one is right or wrong, as we all have different ideas about what we want to collect. For example I like many of the K & C WWII figures especially the LAH range as K & C are one of the few manufacturers that dare to produce these contentious figures. The fact the LAH range is among the most popular sellers suggests a number of collectors appreciate that opportunity. The bottom line is that if you don't like something don't buy it. However we should always have the freedom to make critical (not personal) comments about military models and subjects on this forum.

I don't build scale stuff anymore, and FOV filled that void beautifully. They are a little weak on soldiers, which is what caused me to investigate K&C, Conte, ONTC etc. Then that opened a big can of worms mostly regarding scale, as none of the companies we discuss here really match their vehicles. I would buy nothing but FOV, if they could conquer the soldier problem. The few metal soldiers they made were not half bad. I have been in touch with them trying to provoke them to do more. Honour Bound is providing the armored support for my K&C Infantry now, I really didn't want to move into 1/30th scale, but K&C's soldiers are so nice it was hard to resist, but compared to FOV the prices are repulsive, and getting worse. I have to admit I have spent a lot of money on various hobbies, but this one strains me a bit, and I get a bad feeling once and a while (I know, nobody is telling you to buy them, that is getting old). Only the future will tell where the wallet will go, the wallet is the greatest weapon of all. I really do resent the heat from the non scale people, I think the scale people are treated as second class citizens, that is why I will not discuss anything in depth any more on this Forum, the wallet will do the talking, the debating is a waste of time, it will all go the way it goes and I think there is little we can do about it. Alex

Last edited:
I do not see the "heat" here against scale collectors. I just do not believe K/C is the mfg. to satisfy you. There are days, I wish I had stumbled into FOV and others in the detailed 1/32 market FIRST. With their rolling threads and great paint jobs, they are more like the model kits that I grew up and played with than K/C. But, their soldiers are generally poor and I grew enamored with the heft and size of the early resin models of K/C to now. Our wallets will dictate what we choose to buy, but I believe K/C can make more money off of us, that do not care about the absolute accuracy than those who would not buy because the smallest detail was not quite right. That is the reality of the marketplace. I have seen this same discussion in the toy train forums. Mfg. A makes an engine that no other mfg. has ever made and they must cut some corners in order to make this unique piece, economically feasible. Instead of being applauded for trying to fill a niche at a decent price, the rivet guys trash the item and the company for not getting it dead on right. They swear never to buy that engine ever ,while the rest of us laugh ,and buy ,and play with that engine on our layouts. These engines can be had ,with sound and command control for $600. The dead on ,perfect scale version, by another mfg. with no sound or command, can be had for $2000. Guess which engine sells better. Marketing requires catering to the masses at the just right price, not that the models can not be perfect, but that it is financially not worth it. The too few that care about absolute scale and detail will never pay the mfg. way for making it so. Honor Bound may have the better tracks, but guess whose prices have now jumped up for the next generation of vehicles. Are those better tracks worth the difference in price between K/C and them, now.?..Let's see if the marketplace answers that question. Michael

I'm not a rivet counter myself but I do expect a reasonable degree of accuracy, especially on higher priced models. Perhaps one day we'll get lucky and find a company that producers accurate military vehicles and figures.

Gentlemen this has been a good discussion. I guess we all have to face this hobby in our own way. If there is anything I can do to promote realism I will. Please don't get me wrong, between K&C, Honour Bound and NMA, even as a scale person, I am reasonably happy with what is available to us. I have information from reliable sources that Honour Bond will be heavily pursuing the realism aspect. I don't think the rest of the manufacturers will let that go unnoticed. Yes, that may lead to a price problem. And that will be a problem. There is always FOV and 21Century and your own spray paint weathering chalks and paint brush......Alex

Michael your comments are beautifully put and right on.

Firebat, I feel your pain and I’m not going to suggest how make your investment decision.

I have the same conflicts between 1/32 and 1/30 for soldiers and armor and I decided not to decide and get whatever I like and not be wedded to either scale. It seems to be more fun that way for me.

I collect WWII:

• FOV (yes I still like them), (1/32)
  • Conte (1/32)
  • King and Country (1/30)Honour Bound (1/30)
  • New Metal Army (1/30)
  • Old Northwest Trading Company (1/32)
  • Britains (especially the new stuff coming out), 1/32
  • Collectors Showcase ???? (Oh my heavens not another one!), 1/30????
$$$$ Ouch!!! I don’t buy entire runs anymore too costly but instead I get selective sets.

Carlos

desk11desk12 said:
Michael your comments are beautifully put and right on.

Firebat, I feel your pain and I’m not going to suggest how make your investment decision.

I have the same conflicts between 1/32 and 1/30 for soldiers and armor and I decided not to decide and get whatever I like and not be wedded to either scale. It seems to be more fun that way for me.

I collect WWII:

• FOV (yes I still like them), (1/32)
  • Conte (1/32)
  • King and Country (1/30)Honour Bound (1/30)
  • New Metal Army (1/30)
  • Old Northwest Trading Company (1/32)
  • Britains (especially the new stuff coming out), 1/32
  • Collectors Showcase ???? (Oh my heavens not another one!), 1/30????
$$$$ Ouch!!! I don’t buy entire runs anymore too costly but instead I get selective sets.

Carlos
Carlos.....I agree, I think you left out Figarti....................Alex

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back