NEW RELEASE: SNEAK PEEK! PzKpfw IV Ausf. J With Thoma Shurzehn! (1 Viewer)

The Collectors Showcase

Staff Sergeant
NEW RELEASE: SNEAK PEEK! PzKpfw IV Ausf. J With Thoma Shurzehn!​

As our new items are shipping we thought it would be a great time to start releasing some intel on our November catalog.

TCS is fired up to offer up a peek of our new PzKpfw IV ausfuhrung J! Complete with Thoma Shurzhen. We even added a partial turret interior making this variant feel like the real thing. In addition each set comes with the very popular thrown track option and a bonus battle casualty figure. Each unit comes complete with two overlay passes of weathering, panel shading , rust and metal paint passes.

It’s critical that moving forward models have all the flexibility to assist in a myriad of diorama options. We’ve decided to go back to our roots and up the level of display options. This PzKpfw IV meets the prototypical unit style we hope to adhere to moving forward. Look for this item, and many more, in our November catalog.

Keep those eyes peeled for more tantalizing previews in the days ahead.

Tally Hoooo!
Brian

TT1.jpg
TT2.jpg
TT3.jpg

Great Brian, really pleased that the damaged option has come back. My order is in as soon as they are released.:salute::, Robin.

Same here great release looking forward to adding it to my collection,well done Brian.

Brian

I can't describe how happy I am to see the new direction you are going with this Panzer IV release! I feel like Collector Showcase are going back to their roots with a super quality product. Thank you for listening to some of the concerns over the last year, a new manufacturer and new paint, and boy can you tell the difference!

Wow, that is a nice looking Panzer IV!

And another first in the industry, someone to actually do Thoma schürzen. Very cool looking vehicle, and I echo others sentiments on seeing the thrown track option come back, good choice. Versatility was always something I loved about TCS tanks.

How does the schürzen attach on this model?

Really like the Thoma Shurzehn on that new panzer especially in the tri colour camo pattern. Well done. ^&cool

Really happy with this tank, the Green camo is finally different from the past, subtle and blends well. The side armour abit tricky to attach, but the damaged track & deceased tanker are a good option. Overall recommend it, will use it in a dio soon. Robin.

Thought I would throw this up to try and show the Green camo which I quite like. Robin.

Attachments

• PC230001.jpg
    PC230001.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 349
Just wondering, has anyone ever seen Thoma Shurzehn made out of wire mesh? In all the photos that I have ever seen, it has always been steel plates! What universe did this idea come from?

Just wondering, has anyone ever seen Thoma Shurzehn made out of wire mesh? In all the photos that I have ever seen, it has always been steel plates! What universe did this idea come from?

Seen it in books, apparently just as effective as steel plates, but less cost. If you google up panzer1v images, if you look closely there 2 AUSF J. late, with wire mesh, so it did exist. Robin.

Schürzen were used on the Pz.Kpfw.IV, Sturmgeschütz III and Sturmgeschütz IV and the Panther. On the Pz.Kpfw.IV Ausf.J, the thin metal sheets were replaced by a wire mesh (Thoma Schürzen). This type of Schürzen had been a competitive design to the solid plates, but the plates were initially chosen because production was easier with the existing machinery.

Schurzen began to show up about a year after the initial invasion of Russia and some months before Zimmerit. Also consider that the Tiger I design did not have schurzen. (Granted, the Tiger II fenders were specifically designed to afford HEAT protection, but really, this later design reinforces the evolving German realization of the HEAT threat.) As Paul points out, though, the protection against HEAT was serendipity. The later development of the mesh von Thoma [1] Schild and the leaving of schurzen on the Panther G are certainly evidence that the Germans became aware of the protection afforded against HEAT, but this was not the original intent. Plate schurzen gave way to "Thoma Shields" made from steel mesh, hung from metal pipes as opposed to angle iron brackets.

Thoma - or Drahtgeflechtschürzen were adopted in September 1944, starting with Pz IV Ausf. J Fgst.Nr. 92301, so any unit receiving Pz IV Ausf. J after this date should theoretically have them, although the usual first in/ last out process of assembling tanks may throw a spanner or two in the works here.

This is a direct quote from Walter Speilberger's "Sturmgeschutz & Its Variants", page 92; "the previously mentioned Schurzen side-skirts became a topic of discussion during the Fuhrer's conference on 6 and 7 February 1943. Hitler was quite in agreement with mounting the skirts on the Panzer III, IV and Sturmgeschutz to provide protection against Russian anti-tank rifles".

However, the Thoma shield style of mesh would be effective against A/T rifles and also HEAT rounds.. The size of the mesh will not allow the round to pass through it unscathed and all that’s required is to upset its flight which the mesh will do quite nicely. Tom Jentz has shown the Panther wasn’t even going to be accepted without its shields to defeat the A/T rifles. The entire Panther project was nearly cancelled because the lower hull armour was considered to weak to withstand (future?) Soviet AT-rifles. Had it not been possible to put Schürzen on the Panther, it would have been replaced by the Panther II! (See Jentz: "Panther..." p. 35 and 53)

Out of interest the cyclone fence mesh carried by AFV’s in Vietnam as anti-RPG screens worked by not detonating the round but actually shorting the firing circuit as it passed through. I have seen a training film with a dozen rounds fired and all failed to explode.

pz4j.jpg

Schürzen were used on the Pz.Kpfw.IV, Sturmgeschütz III and Sturmgeschütz IV and the Panther. On the Pz.Kpfw.IV Ausf.J, the thin metal sheets were replaced by a wire mesh (Thoma Schürzen). This type of Schürzen had been a competitive design to the solid plates, but the plates were initially chosen because production was easier with the existing machinery.

Schurzen began to show up about a year after the initial invasion of Russia and some months before Zimmerit. Also consider that the Tiger I design did not have schurzen. (Granted, the Tiger II fenders were specifically designed to afford HEAT protection, but really, this later design reinforces the evolving German realization of the HEAT threat.) As Paul points out, though, the protection against HEAT was serendipity. The later development of the mesh von Thoma [1] Schild and the leaving of schurzen on the Panther G are certainly evidence that the Germans became aware of the protection afforded against HEAT, but this was not the original intent. Plate schurzen gave way to "Thoma Shields" made from steel mesh, hung from metal pipes as opposed to angle iron brackets.

Thoma - or Drahtgeflechtschürzen were adopted in September 1944, starting with Pz IV Ausf. J Fgst.Nr. 92301, so any unit receiving Pz IV Ausf. J after this date should theoretically have them, although the usual first in/ last out process of assembling tanks may throw a spanner or two in the works here.

This is a direct quote from Walter Speilberger's "Sturmgeschutz & Its Variants", page 92; "the previously mentioned Schurzen side-skirts became a topic of discussion during the Fuhrer's conference on 6 and 7 February 1943. Hitler was quite in agreement with mounting the skirts on the Panzer III, IV and Sturmgeschutz to provide protection against Russian anti-tank rifles".

However, the Thoma shield style of mesh would be effective against A/T rifles and also HEAT rounds.. The size of the mesh will not allow the round to pass through it unscathed and all that’s required is to upset its flight which the mesh will do quite nicely. Tom Jentz has shown the Panther wasn’t even going to be accepted without its shields to defeat the A/T rifles. The entire Panther project was nearly cancelled because the lower hull armour was considered to weak to withstand (future?) Soviet AT-rifles. Had it not been possible to put Schürzen on the Panther, it would have been replaced by the Panther II! (See Jentz: "Panther..." p. 35 and 53)

Out of interest the cyclone fence mesh carried by AFV’s in Vietnam as anti-RPG screens worked by not detonating the round but actually shorting the firing circuit as it passed through. I have seen a training film with a dozen rounds fired and all failed to explode.

pz4j.jpg

Thanks for the education, never knew the mesh type existed, I appreciate the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back