New Releases For December 2017 - The Conquest Of America (2 Viewers)

jjDesigns

Sergeant

THE CONQUEST OF AMERICA
THE AZTEC EMPIRE

The Aztec Empire flourished between c. 1345 and 1521 and, at its greatest extent, covered most of northern Mesoamerica. Aztec warriors were able to dominate their neighbouring states and permit rulers such as Motecuhzoma II to impose Aztec ideals and religion across Mexico. Highly accomplished in agriculture and trade, the last of the great Mesoamerican civilizations was also noted for its art and architecture which ranks amongst the finest ever produced on the continent.

The empire continued to expand from 1430 and the Aztec military - bolstered by conscription of all adult males, men supplied from allied and conquered states, and such elite groups as the Eagle and Jaguar warriors - swept aside their rivals. Aztec warriors wore padded cotton armour, carried a wooden or reed shield covered in hide, and wielded weapons such as a super sharp obsidian sword-club (macuahuitl), a spear or dart thrower (atlatl), and bow and arrows. Elite warriors also wore spectacular feathered and animal skin costumes and headdresses to signify their rank. Battles were concentrated in or around major cities and when these fell the victors claimed the whole surrounding territory. Regular tributes were extracted and captives were taken back to Tenochtitlan for ritual sacrifice. In this way the Aztec empire came to cover most of northern Mexico, an area of some 135,000 square kilometres.

The mighty Aztec warrior priests were not only important figures in society but also fearsome warriors who were more than capable of wielding a macuahuitl with deadly intent on the battlefield.
In normal life Aztec priests would be responsible for many tasks, and often occupied high positions in society. They would be the life and blood of the Aztec religion, but also worked in government, created calenders, and were the primary record keepers. In addition they would teach in the schools and warrior training structures like the Calmecac and the Telpochocalli.
As a warrior priest however their role was different, they would fight alongside the Aztec warriors blow for blow. The warrior priests were armed with weaponry capable of inflicting severe injury, and they were protected with armour and shields and were more than capable or holding their ground.

AZ04.JPG

AZ-04
THE CONQUEST OF AMERICA,
THE AZTEC EMPIRE,
AZTEC WARRIOR PRIEST,
(1pc)

A Warrior Priest who had taken four captives wore a “Tlahuiztli” known as the Cicitlallo Cuextecatl, which roughlty translates as “Starry Night”. This unique war suit really made the warrior priest stand out.

AZ04REAR.JPG

Eagle warriors or eagle knights were a special class of infantry soldier in the Aztec army, one of the two leading military special forces orders in Aztec society.
The eagles were soldiers of the Sun, as the eagle was the symbol of the Sun. Eagle warriors dressed like eagles, adorning themselves with eagle feathers, and wearing headgear with an eagle head on it

AZ05.JPG

AZ-05
THE CONQUEST OF AMERICA,
THE AZTEC EMPIRE,
AZTEC EAGLE WARRIOR,
(1pc)

AZ05REAR.JPG

** FOR FURTHER INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT YOUR LOCAL DEALER **

I had promised myself not to start collecting another of John’s series, besides the 8 I already collect. Well looking at these fantastic new figures and reading the reviews of the previous one, I have pursuaded myself that 8 or 9 makes no difference ;-)

Niels

I had promised myself not to start collecting another of John’s series, besides the 8 I already collect. Well looking at these fantastic new figures and reading the reviews of the previous one, I have pursuaded myself that 8 or 9 makes no difference ;-)

Niels
Same boat. I have no particular interest in the time period or subject, but as a TS collector, I find these figures fascinating. I shouldn't start another series (simply can't afford it), but I might have to get a figure or 10 since they are such dynamic and colorful figures. {sm2} -- Al

WOW!!! These look amazing! Will be adding these 2 as well!

Same boat. I have no particular interest in the time period or subject, but as a TS collector, I find these figures fascinating. I shouldn't start another series (simply can't afford it), but I might have to get a figure or 10 since they are such dynamic and colorful figures. {sm2} -- Al

Same here. These are great art but not particularly interested in that period. The prices are a bit high as well pushing $50+ per figure. But you only live once! I would really like to see someone take on the war between Japan and China circa 1930s. That is the most overlooked campaign in the toy solider market. Lots of great possibilities there.

Only "complaint" I have for these figures are the weapon colors. The obsidian rocks used should not be green. They were a dark, shiny black color.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Same here. These are great art but not particularly interested in that period. The prices are a bit high as well pushing $50+ per figure. But you only live once! I would really like to see someone take on the war between Japan and China circa 1930s. That is the most overlooked campaign in the toy solider market. Lots of great possibilities there.
Sino-Japanese is very overlooked, beyond the AVG aspect, which is actually late to the conflict. The 1930's period provide many TS possibilities, and from my POV, many possibilities for the air war with it's many different aircraft. Would also find the Nomonhan conflict to be interesting for the air war and armored warfare aspects. -- Al

Only "complaint" I have for these figures are the weapon colors. The obsidian rocks used should not be green. They were a dark, shiny black color.

View attachment 223163

View attachment 223164

True. I wonder why green was chosen instead of black.

Actually green obsidian was highly prized and and was preferred over black obsidian. The Aztecs considered green obsidian the superior material for making blades . . . Here's just one article of many available on this subject (read especially the summary and conclusions section) . . . . John did get it right . . .

http://www.latinamericanstudies.org/aztecs/teotihuacan-obsidian.pdf

:smile2: Mike

Thanks. You can learn much from others and this hobby. :eek:
Matt

Actually green obsidian was highly prized and and was preferred over black obsidian. The Aztecs considered green obsidian the superior material for making blades . . . Here's just one article of many available on this subject (read especially the summary and conclusions section) . . . . John did get it right . . .

http://www.latinamericanstudies.org/aztecs/teotihuacan-obsidian.pdf

:smile2: Mike

Two more definite buys. Glad to see this range growing. It would be cool if eventually they produce some of the Indian opponents of the Aztecs (such as the Zapotecs or Tarascans....these are better choices than the Tlaxcalans who eventually helped the Spanish conquer Tenochtitlan, because their warriors looked significantly different than the Aztecs).

I have received all three of the Aztec figures and they really are fantastic. Very striking. My favorite, though, is the eagle warrior. Fortunately, I have the Aeroart Cortes and one of their Aztec figures as well. I do wonder what the long term plan, if any, is for this line.

I have received all three of the Aztec figures and they really are fantastic. Very striking. My favorite, though, is the eagle warrior. Fortunately, I have the Aeroart Cortes and one of their Aztec figures as well. I do wonder what the long term plan, if any, is for this line.

I think that the long term plan will be plenty more of the Aztec Warriors facing lots of Conquistador troops :smile2:
Then maybe throw in a few scenic items :smile2:
Yes, that sounds like a plan :wink2: ^&grin

Konrad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back