New Releases For September 2014 - The Great War 1914-1918 (1 Viewer)

jjDesigns

Sergeant
THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918

The BL 6inch 26cwt howitzer was a British artillery piece used during the great War and still saw service at the beginning of WW2.
While “6 inch” refers to the barrel caliber, the “26cwt” refers to the weight of the barrel and breech together.
Its combination of fire power, range and mobility, made it one of the allies most important weapons in WW1, and approximately 3,633 were produced.
It was to fire over 22.4 million rounds on the Western Front.
The gun required no fewer than 10 personnel. The crew was trained to fire a variety of rounds, from High Explosive projectile, High Explosive Incendiary, as well as Chemical rounds.
A trained crew could manage to fire two rounds per minute.

GWB-30.JPG

GWB-30
THE GREAT WAR, 1914-1918, BL6 inch 26cwt HOWITZER,
(1pc)

Model Size 3”x 71/2” x 21/2”
Model Weight 226g

GWB30A.JPG

** Please note at this time 7 of the 10 crew have been sculpted. Several of the crew figures will be suitable for other guns and supply crews.**

GWB30pic.JPG

To be continued.....................................

THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918 - Continued.

Each figure will be produced in 3 different regiment markings.
The different regiments are distinguished by the different Unit Colour Patches, which were worn on the shoulder.

GWA0660.JPG

GWA-06(60)
AUSTRALIAN IMPERIAL FORCE,
BATTLE OF AMIENS, 6th August 1918, The 5th Division, 15th Brigade, 60th Battalion,
2 Infantry Firing,
(2pcs)

GWA0631.JPG

GWA-06(31)
BATTLE OF AMIENS, 6th August 1918, The 5th Division, 15th Brigade, 60th Battalion,
2 Infantry Firing,
(2pcs)

GWA0653.JPG

GWA-06(53)
2 Infantry Firing,
(2pcs)

GWA0760.JPG

GWA-07(60)
2 Infantry Crawling,
(2pcs)

GWA0731a.jpg

GWA-07(31)
BATTLE OF AMIENS, 6th August 1918,
The 5th Division, 15th Brigade, 60th Battalion,
2 Infantry Crawling,
(2pcs)

To be continued.....................................

THE GREAT WAR, 1914-1918

GWA0753a.jpg

GWA-07(53)
2 Infantry Crawling,
(2pcs)

GWA0860.JPG

GWA-08(60)
2 Infantry Wounded,
(4pcs)

GWA0831.JPG

GWA-08(31)
2 Infantry Wounded,
(4pcs)

GWA0853.JPG

GWA-08(53)
BATTLE OF AMIENS, 6th August 1918,
The 5th Division, 15th Brigade, 60th Battalion, 2 Infantry Wounded,
(4pcs
)

KNIGHTS OF THE SKIES

BGC21.JPG

BGC-21
KNIGHTS OF THE SKIES
British Airfield Accessories,
(10pcs)

PLEASE CONTACT YOUR LOCAL DEALER FOR MORE INFORMATION

I love the gun, John !!!

Well done on making some heavy artillery for the Western Front, c1918.

The detachment look like they really mean business, so can't wait to see the painted figures coming soon.

Your other sets from tis period, including the ammo boxes and ammo will make some great dioramas as well as the soldiers carrying supplies, so more to look forward to in the coming year.

So keep up the good work,

John

Another round of impressive releases . . . . . For me, GWB-30 Howitzer {sm4} is a must have as well as the AIF sets GWA-06(60) thru GWA-08(60) {sm3}. The sneak peek at the Howitzer's gun crew is awesome :salute::. . . finally a manufacturer that makes (what appears to be) a complete gun crew to go with their artillery piece . . . . unlike, most who just provide a minimum of key crew positions. I am already mentally planning how to incorporate the Howitzer and crew with the Thornycroft Type J truck. Hopefully, these will be available for the OTSN Chicago show next month. Well, I now now where my September TS budget will be going to . . . . Outstanding John, thank you very much . . . .
:smile2: Mike

Awright! The artillery makes it to the show. The big boom and the crew will be must haves. Another 'barrage' of home runs courtesy of John.:salute:: -- Al

wahooooooo, Brit artillery!!!!

Gun and crew look superb, love the Aussie figures too.

Rob

Took some time to do a quick research on the BL 6-inch 26cwt Howitzer. Was in field service by late 1915 and was used up until 1945 when it was considered obsolete . . . . . so it could possibly be used as a WWII piece, especially early WWII (although WWII pieces had rubber tires). 22.4 million projectile shells were fired by these howitzers during the Great War and were considered one of the most respected and important weapons available to the British war effort. Full crew compliment was 10 . . . . . Again, a truly superb piece . . . .

I can't wait for this. I'm going to pick this up in London in December w/crew, meantime I'm going to build a base for it and some supplies. I like the sound of ;

'Please note at this time 7 of the 10 crew have been sculpted. Several of the crew figures will be suitable for other guns and supply crews'.

More guns me thinks???:salute::

Rob

Battle of St. Quentin. Gunners of the 299th Siege Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery preparing a 6-inch 26cwt howitzer for action. Avesnes, 23 March 1918.

large.jpg

© IWM (Q 8607)

6-inch 26 cwt howitzer battery of the Royal Garrison Artillery in action. Note a gunner on the right on the telephone passing or receiving coordinates.

large.jpg

© IWM (Q 26514)

Just brilliant................just the ticket for our next dio at the college, gun line on a large scale. I must note also what can result from proper research, great figures, well done JJD. :salute::
Wayne.

This series just gets better and better. Feel that John has his finger on the pulse of what collectors want. The gun and 10 man crew are a must, plus of course the Aussie's. My dealer will be happy and no doubt he is now considering buying himself a new car.{eek3}. Robin.

This series just gets better and better. Feel that John has his finger on the pulse of what collectors want. The gun and 10 man crew are a must, plus of course the Aussie's. My dealer will be happy and no doubt he is now considering buying himself a new car.{eek3}. Robin.

Ditto...

I totally concur with this very wise man!:salute::

Rob

I can't wait for this. I'm going to pick this up in London in December w/crew, meantime I'm going to build a base for it and some supplies. I like the sound of ;

'Please note at this time 7 of the 10 crew have been sculpted. Several of the crew figures will be suitable for other guns and supply crews'.

More guns me thinks???:salute::

Rob

Rob,

at the London Show in June, John had the master for a 60 pounder BL Gun, so that's another one coming our way :)

attachment.php

These are the heavies that were used in the Battle of Amiens, which he is basing all these figures upon.

Other guns needed will be the 18 Pounder and a 4.5" Howitzer, so lots to do do in the coming 4 years until the centenary of that particular battle at the end of The Great War.

John

Thought this was the gun in Sept release, now I see it's quite different, thanks to John pointing it out. Now the next thought, do I use the same 10 crew to man this one or do I duplicate the crew, or is John doing another different crew. Oh the decisions one has to make, hey but they are fun ones.:wink2:, Robin.

Rob,

at the London Show in June, John had the master for a 60 pounder BL Gun, so that's another one coming our way :)

attachment.php

These are the heavies that were used in the Battle of Amiens, which he is basing all these figures upon.

Other guns needed will be the 18 Pounder and a 4.5" Howitzer, so lots to do do in the coming 4 years until the centenary of that particular battle at the end of The Great War.

John

Excellent news John, thanks for posting this:salute::

Rob

Rob,

attachment.php

John

More research reveals: The BL 60 pounder field gun was a 127mm cannon fielded by the British Army in World War I. Entering service in 1905, it was extensively used at Gallipoli and at the battle of the Somme. With a rate of fire of 2 rounds per minute, the Mk I model had a maximum range of 12,300 yards (11.4 km) and fired 60 lb (27 kg) shells; it had a maximum elevation of +21.5º (Mk II model’s elevation was +35º). The BL 60 pounder had a wheeled carriage and was towed by either a team of eight mules or a truck, and required a 10-man crew. It had a total weight of 4.4 tons.

A couple of the images were incorrect. The correct ones are as follows.

GWA-08(31)
AUSTRALIAN IMPERIAL FORCE, BATTLE OF AMIENS, 6th August 1918,
2 Infantry Wounded,
(4pcs)

GWA0831.JPG

GWA-08(53)
AUSTRALIAN IMPERIAL FORCE, BATTLE OF AMIENS, 6th August 1918,
2 Infantry Wounded,
(4pcs)

GWA0853.JPG