New to the Forum (1 Viewer)

Czech Legion

My name is Joe Wells and I live in Iowa. I have just again had the opportunity to come back to miniatures. Before my decades long hiatus, i was painting 25 mm metal figures, for example fantasy figures and BOOT HILL. So I do have a small amount of experience that I hope will return!

Strange as it may seem, while searching the internet, I was drawn first to the 54mm, and then to the plastic figures. Boy, you let a couple of decades go by and all of a sudden people are actually PAINTING plastic! :eek:

I found that there were sufficient figures in 1/32 plastic re: the Russian Civil war/WW1 to advance to the planning stage for my first project in my new basement, However....

When looking for an Armored car in 1/32 scale, I was beset by several issues, the highest of them being availability. There are none. And what good is a diorama of the Russian Civil War without an armored car? After many, many searches on google, I found some suitable components for making an armored car. The next problem would have to be adaptability . By this I mean the amount of work necessary to take a plastic model originally made in the 1950's (see attachment) and adapt it to my purposes. Not that this can't be done, but having been away from this for so long, I would like to build up to this, a little at a time.

I am still in the planning stages for buying my first 'items', and have narrowed down the rest of the stuff except for the armored car. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas? Perhaps there's one out there I missed.

Oh, also, has anyone seen any 'civilian types' suitable for Russia in 1918 or so?

Welcome to the forum. I am an avid WW1 Armored car buff, just as frustrated as you are ,at the lack of reasonable priced cars for this period. I have built an armored car , using the frame of a 1/32 1915 ambulance that I found on ebay from one of those mass vehicle sellers. Also, there is a website for a company in Poland that sells 1/32 - 1/35 resin armored car kits including Russian era cars . I can try to find that for you ( Jada Models?) There is an outfit on ebay that also sells these car kits ( mostly Russian era )Pondreef Models ..will try to get his ebay handle for you also....hope this helps...Michael

Welcome Joe !

The Forum is a fun place to learn and exchange information, ideas and thoughts.

Ron

Hello Joe, welcome to the forum from north of you. I'm in Minnesota a bit north (4 hours more or less) of Shannon and the gang at Treefrog. I too was take aback by the way plastics have evolved over the years. I did not pay any attention to them since the middle 60's. What great stuff they are doing now. I used to get the old green rubber vehicles and men from FW Woolworth's or Ben Franklin. Now they bring good money on eBay. How the world changes.

You will find a few plastic collectors here on the forum and lots of good advice and help with our hobby.

Velcome Joeee...... Velcome to the forumm.....MuaHAAHAHAAHHAhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa:D

Joe,

Welcome to the forum. I'm primarily W.Britains collector myself, as our some others here.

You are actually in the same State as the Britains company owners, they are in Peosta. They have a Britains Collectors Club, while First Gear produces vehicles. :)

Joe,

Welcome to the Forum. If you happen to have a spare kidney to sell then head over ot Sergei Ilyashenko's LeadArmy.com, as he still lists a few St. Petersburg made Russian armoured cars on his website:

http://www.leadarmy.com/catalogue.asp?list=,76,&category=76&parent=0

An Austin for $190? Ouch! Still though, it would be a great hint as a birthday present if you've kids who are tired of buying you socks or aftershave.

Hi Joe,welcome to the forum.Hope you enjoy,this is the place to learn,have fun and find out whats going on in toy soldier land. All the best

Rob

Welcome aboard Joe. I liked the armored cars on the website Cannonfodder recommended. Also, a few years ago a company called Heco made some great tin WWI Era armored cars which could be repainted with Russian Civil War markings.

you know you live in a state for 40 odd years and you think you know the place......and then you hear the name, PEOSTA. i looked it up thru google and found it was 600 people and in amish territory east of dyersville.
and dyersville is famous for those two things that will go down in history.
1. the cornfield from 'field of dreams'
2. ERTL

thanks for the vehicle and club link!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back