News Update September 6, 2021 - The Crusades & Longship Update (1 Viewer)

Julie

Administrator
Staff member
JJDESIGNS NEWS UPDATE 6[SUP]th[/SUP] SEPTEMBER 2021
THE CRUSADES
ANDALUSIAN CASTLE

The impact and early significance of castles in Spain can be measured by the fact that the noun “castle” (from the Latin castella meaning “castles”) forms the origin of the name of Spain’s historically most powerful kingdom: Castile. And the history of Castile –the land of castles– projects itself widely over the history of Spain,

Castles were not built only in response to hostility between Christians and Moors but also by Christian and Moorish rulers to control internal conflicts. They were also constructed by ambitious and rebellious nobles on both sides, especially in those areas far removed from immediate royal authority.

AND01-M.jpg

AND02-M.jpg

GATEHOUSE, 4” depth x 12” length x 12 ¼” height (15 ½” including Flag)

Villages and towns frequently established themselves around castles, creating hubs that provided work for the inhabitants. In times of hostility, those inhabitants could seek protection inside the castles. In return for protection, villagers often surrendered their freedom and became vassals of the lord of the castle, creating one of the most identifiable social structures associated with this period: feudalism (in general terms, a contract whereby a king or lord allowed a vassal to use his land in return for homage and service whenever called upon).
However, in Spain, and more specifically in the medieval kingdoms of Castile, León, Navarre and Aragón, the feudal system never took firm root because of the need to encourage citizens to populate or repopulate lands on the borders with Muslim al-Andalus.
Castles were built and existing towns strengthened as centres of resistance to the threat of Muslim expansionism. In return, monarchs or nobles offered willing citizens certain inducements/privileges (e.g. ownership of land, freedom from taxation, keeping the profits of war) for settling and defending frontier zones.
These privileges –legally recorded and known as fueros or charters— differed from area to area, but in general they outlined both the obligations and freedoms of the settlers and protected them from servitude.

AND03-M.jpg

Straight Wall, 2 ¼” depth x 6 ½” length x 9 ¼” height

From an early date, the main defensive wall of Spanish, especially Muslim castles had square or rectangular towers. Christian fortresses were more likely to have semi circular towers, whose advantage was that they were better to deflect stones and arrows.
The square tower still prevailed in Moorish castles into the 13[SUP]th[/SUP] and even 14[SUP]th[/SUP] centuries.

The “horseshoe arch” was another characteristic of Muslim castles, with the double horseshoe “Gate of Justice” the main entrance of the Alhambra fortress being a magnificent example.

AND04-M.jpg

Corner Tower, 4” depth x 4” length x 12 ¼” height (15 ½” including Flag)

The separate castle sections will allow for a variety of diorama set ups, varying from a full four sided castle! To a simple shelf backdrop.

Pictured below are 2 examples of how the Castle sections could be set up.

AND05-M.jpg

Shelf Backdrop as in picture, 4” depth x 32 ½” length x 12 ¼” height (15 ½” including Flags)

AND06-M.jpg

Movie Backdrop, 4” depth x 31” length x 12 ¼” height (15 ½” including Flags)

The Gateway Section will be available with the October 2021 releases.

THE VIKING LONGSHIP UPDATES

ANSWERS TO A FEW QUESTIONS.

The base is removable, but the ship is not designed to be cut along the waterline.
This is similar to the Roman and Carthaginian Warships.

There are 10 different rowing figure poses.
10 of the Rowing figures are designed for the Starboard side of the ship, so the angle of the oars are all the same.
10 of the Rowing figures are designed for the Port side of the ship, so the angle of the oars are all the same.

The Rowing figures are not fixed, so can be set in any position.

The shields are not fixed to the sides, therefore can be positioned in any preferred order.

PACKAGING SIZE AND WEIGHT
SHIPPING CARTON 685mm x 385mm x 255mm (27" x 15.15" x 10")
SHIPPING CARTON WEIGHT, INCLUDES FIGURES 7.8kg (17.2 lbs)

PLEASE NOTE THERE WILL BE NO NEWS UPDATE ON MONDAY 13[SUP]th[/SUP] SEPTEMBER
THERE WILL BE UPDATES ON TUESDAY 14[SUP]th[/SUP] and WEDNESDAY 15[SUP]th[/SUP] OF SEPTEMBER.

Best wishes and many thanks
john jenkins

Wow, wow, WOW! Those walls...
I'm starting to measure! :smile2:

I get 31.50 inches on the "movie backdrop", and 33 inches for the shelf background.

For me these dimensions are all but perfect! Just need to figure out what current display gets "boxed"!
Survival of the "nicest"!

And finally, these walls are so amazing I might use some of them for other purposes.
The gate is very typical "Moorish" gate that is seen in southern Spain, but the walls and towers could come in handy for other set ups.
MAYBE, there can be another more "generic" gate for those other purposes.
Even without a different gate the towers and walls, repainted, I'm sure will be useful in the future...

Last edited:

I get 31.50 inches on the "movie backdrop", and 33 inches for the shelf background.

For me these dimensions are all but perfect! Just need to figure out what current display gets "boxed"!

And finally, these walls are so amazing I might use some of them for other purposes.
The gate is very typical "Moorish" gate that is seen in southern Spain, but the walls and towers could come in handy for other set ups.
Even without a different gate the towers and walls, repainted, I'm sure will be useful in the future...

I was wondering how well these would work in other areas besides Spain. In Spain would they work for the Battle of Teba?

Does anyone know about the walls of Alexandria in 1365? Would the walls have looked like this at all? That would be amazing to depict that Crusade

I was wondering how well these would work in other areas besides Spain. In Spain would they work for the Battle of Teba?

Does anyone know about the walls of Alexandria in 1365? Would the walls have looked like this at all? That would be amazing to depict that Crusade

There are plenty of castles in Andalusia but the question is when they were built, if you’re trying to be historically accurate. The Alcazaba de Almería was built in the 10th century so that would work and John’s models look quite a bit like it.

Well (darn it), it looks like the El Cid range is back on my collecting list again . . . Wonderful looking structure.
Mike

I already have a castle but otherwise would want this one.
but as you said the walls would be handy. I am thinking they would blend quite well with K n C desert village walls and buildings.
Jas

I have the JG Miniatures ancient city walls, gateway and towers which came out when K&C first released their crusader range in around 2006. But these look better and will complement John's Reconquista figures really well, which is not surprising as he has released the castle to go with this range. No doubt another addition to the growing JJD collection for me. Where will it all end?

Gary

hi John, what does the Castle look like inside? ...are there any doors or stairs to go up to the walls?
cheers
Carlo

I have the JG Miniatures ancient city walls, gateway and towers which came out when K&C first released their crusader range in around 2006. But these look better and will complement John's Reconquista figures really well, which is not surprising as he has released the castle to go with this range. No doubt another addition to the growing JJD collection for me. Where will it all end?

Gary

I know what you mean, as a TS collector i sometimes feel like Sisyphus pushing that bloody rock up the hill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back