North West Frontier 1878 - 1900 (2 Viewers)

I'm looking forward to those appearing on a Forum near me jb :salute::

Cheers

Martyn:)

Hi Martyn - I'll probably put them in "Kit Building" later on - as I don't have all of the bits I want, just yet. I'll want to connect them up to gun and limber using chains - but that will have to wait me getting back to Blighty - which will be en-route to NZ.

Here's a somewhat messy pic below of how it's all developing - so far. Note how similar the Elephant and mule are to the Trophy version. I'm basing my set on a few photos which I found of Elephant batteries in North West India - around the turn of the century (c.1890's). Another set that I've always liked the look of - is from Wm. Hocker, so mine will have the RA troops in Khaki - rather than blue jackets - rather similar to his version too.

By the way - the fact that I got the item as an early Xmas present - is because I'm hoping to have Xmas lunch on the beach - this year - and don't want any sand to get in the paintwork!!!:smile2: jb

As I know that you are keen on Old Newspapers - I thought you might be interested in this one - dated 1885 - which has some interesting drawings of what could be your gun? A really nice subject area - this one. jb

Hi Martyn - I'll probably put them in "Kit Building" later on - as I don't have all of the bits I want, just yet. I'll want to connect them up to gun and limber using chains - but that will have to wait me getting back to Blighty - which will be en-route to NZ.

Here's a somewhat messy pic below of how it's all developing - so far. Note how similar the Elephant and mule are to the Trophy version. I'm basing my set on a few photos which I found of Elephant batteries in North West India - around the turn of the century (c.1890's). Another set that I've always liked the look of - is from Wm. Hocker, so mine will have the RA troops in Khaki - rather than blue jackets - rather similar to his version too.

By the way - the fact that I got the item as an early Xmas present - is because I'm hoping to have Xmas lunch on the beach - this year - and don't want any sand to get in the paintwork!!!:smile2: jb

Now this is looking very good jb :salute::.....watch out for the sand....though there is quite a bit of it on the NW Frontier^&grin :salute::

Cheers

As I know that you are keen on Old Newspapers - I thought you might be interested in this one - dated 1885 - which has some interesting drawings of what could be your gun? A really nice subject area - this one. jb

Great cover from The Graphic jb, many thanks for posting it :salute::

Cheers

That is indeed a great cover ^&cool Not being English I had not heard of The Graphic. I assume it's publicly available. Anyone have a link however?

Brad

Nice sets there Martyn! Elephants and artillery together - don't get much better! ^&cool

Sorry to hi-jack your thread Martyn :redface2:.....

JB, that Tradition set is one of my favourites - I've painted four of these over the years which is a lot of grey paint! ^&grin

Jeff

Attachments

• elephant_Battrey_set01.jpg
    elephant_Battrey_set01.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 186
That is indeed a great cover ^&cool Not being English I had not heard of The Graphic. I assume it's publicly available. Anyone have a link however?

Brad

Have a read about it in Wikipedia Brad - and whilst you're at it - Look up The London Illustrated News - which preceded The Graphic. From then on - just keep digging into things that interest you Militarily - and you may strike lucky with superb illustrations like the elephant one.

Ask our chum Martyn for further info - as I think he has many old copies that might be of interest. I just take pot luck - and dig around the web - whenever I'm thinking of making up a subject - which turned this one up. Glad you like it too. jb

Nice sets there Martyn! Elephants and artillery together - don't get much better! ^&cool

Sorry to hi-jack your thread Martyn :redface2:.....

JB, that Tradition set is one of my favourites - I've painted four of these over the years which is a lot of grey paint! ^&grin

Jeff

At the risk of compounding the hi-jack ( which I don't think we really are - as it's the Elephant transportation we are really comparing, and I'm pretty sure Martyn won't mind ( I hope!) .................

Hi Jeff. Yes - I remember you mentioning that you had painted that set up a few times - in another thread some while ago. It was your comments that led my dearest ( with a bit of help from me), to the set - and ultimately to purchase parts of it for me as my Xmas present. I particularly wanted to make it to look rather "Britain-esque" ( if that's the correct word) - as I very much like the old-style of Britains past. I also like Wm. Hocker's version - which again looks very much in the Britains style. That's why I chose NOT to use the Tradition figures (other than the mahouts) to complete it - and also paint them in "Marching Order" - rather than full dress. I hope it will thus be a bit different from the straight Tradition (or even Trophy) versions.

Here's a link to Mr Hocker's version, if you would like a look - it's very nice - but only comes as a painted set............hence the mixed parts purchase.

http://wmhocker.com/set.php?s=indian&n=2

However, the Elephant and mule in all sets ( including Trophy) look very similar - which triggered my comment. jb

I took another look at my "Elephant Guns" file - and found another one I had saved - as part of my research on the subject - which is from The Illustrated London news - dated 1858. Brad may also be interested to see this one Martyn - though you may have the original???

Note with this pic - that the gun crew appear to be wearing kepis - and not in full dark blues dress. the front elephant is, as usual, also not attached to the limber poles - so could be unhitched to go to the rear of the gun and push with it's trunk/head if required. I also have pics of them pulling as a hitched pair - as well as in tandem. jb

I took another look at my "Elephant Guns" file - and found another one I had saved - as part of my research on the subject - which is from The Illustrated London news - dated 1858. Brad may also be interested to see this one Martyn - though you may have the original???

Note with this pic - that the gun crew appear to be wearing kepis - and not in full dark blues dress. the front elephant is, as usual, also not attached to the limber poles - so could be unhitched to go to the rear of the gun and push with it's trunk/head if required. I also have pics of them pulling as a hitched pair - as well as in tandem. jb

Another great picture jb :salute::

The Elephant Siege gun in the picture is very similar to the IM Elephant set produced by Trophy, which gives me an idea :wink2: The British Infantry in the picture are wearing the uniform worn during the IM, basically anything they could lay their hands on, and indeed they are wearing kepi style hats to protect from the strong sun

set# M4 - 24th REGIMENT OF FOOT

DELHIRELIEFCOLUMNM4-2.jpg

Set# ME1 - ELEPHANT DRAWN SIEGE GUN

DELHIRELIEFCOLUMNME1.jpg

Unfortunately I don't have original bound copies of the ILN that cover the Indian Mutiny (1857 and 1858), there are bound copies for 1857 on Ebay but I think I will have to pass on them as the Buy It Now price is £1257.00 {eek3} ^&grin

Cheers

Another great picture jb :salute::

The Elephant Siege gun in the picture is very similar to the IM Elephant set produced by Trophy, which gives me an idea :wink2: The British Infantry in the picture are wearing the uniform worn during the IM, basically anything they could lay their hands on, and indeed they are wearing kepi style hats to protect from the strong sun

set# M4 - 24th REGIMENT OF FOOT

DELHIRELIEFCOLUMNM4-2.jpg

Set# ME1 - ELEPHANT DRAWN SIEGE GUN

DELHIRELIEFCOLUMNME1.jpg

Unfortunately I don't have original bound copies of the ILN that cover the Indian Mutiny (1857 and 1858), there are bound copies for 1857 on Ebay but I think I will have to pass on them as the Buy It Now price is £1257.00 {eek3} ^&grin

Cheers

Ouch! - You can buy a lot of Toy Soldiers for that! {eek3} Shame though, as you can see that under the drawing, there's a small message indicating that the story is inside. But at those prices - we will continue to conjecture! jb Love your pieces above, by the way.

Ouch! - You can buy a lot of Toy Soldiers for that! {eek3} Shame though, as you can see that under the drawing, there's a small message indicating that the story is inside. But at those prices - we will continue to conjecture! jb Love your pieces above, by the way.

Many thanks jb :salute::

There are some bound copies of the ILN and Graphic that have some pretty high prices on them. I would love to find 1854 thru 1858 at a reasonable price, but not much chance of that:rolleyes2:

Cheers

Many thanks jb :salute::

There are some bound copies of the ILN and Graphic that have some pretty high prices on them. I would love to find 1854 thru 1858 at a reasonable price, but not much chance of that:rolleyes2:

Cheers

Give thanks to the enlightened soul - who put the cover pic "out there" - on Google Images - for me to find. They really are such nice pieces of history. Shame that they aren't online though, ( as Brad suggests).

When you do find them, however, it's always a bit galling for me ( as a painter) - as they aren't in colour! Still - there are other sources too, thankfully:smile2:.

jb

QUEENS OWN CORPS OF GUIDES ADVANCING

Cheers

QUEENS OWN CORPS OF GUIDES - THE FIRING LINE

Cheers

8th REGIMENT (The King's) SCREW GUN BATTERY

set# EQ16NWF and EQ17NWF

Cheers

Afghan warriors prepare to ambush a mule team :wink2:

IMG_1496.JPGIMG_1497.JPGIMG_1498.JPGIMG_1500.JPGIMG_1501.JPG

Second Afghan War 1879 - 70th (Surrey) Regiment of Foot

Here is a picture taken from the Royal Surrey Regiment web site

Cheers

Set# A.44 - AFGHAN TRIBESMAN STANDING AT EASE

This is a "Paint Master" note the clipped corner

Cheers

Set# A.44 - AFGHAN TRIBESMAN STANDING AT EASE

This is a "Paint Master" note the clipped corner

Cheers

Has anyone on the forum ever seen Martyn and Len together at the same time? I think Martyn may be "Clark Kent" to Len's "Superman" - how else do you explain where he gets all these wonderful toys (to paraphrase Jack Nicholson as the Joker in the movie "Batman", in keeping with the superhero theme of this post).^&grin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back