Not Guilty (1 Viewer)

Please guys do not misunderstand my position....I am NOT defending Treyvon Martin at all...I didn't like some of what I had heard about him.......Also the president's initial comments about this case about Martin were ridiculous IMO......But does anyone here think that Zimmerman was wrong to confront Martin after the police told him not to???? To my way of thinking this is a major issue for me....Why did he not let the police handle it????..... An un-qualified, un-trained and un-uniformed individual was playing "cop"....Again I highly doubt he would have confronted this person if he did not have a gun in his pocket......If neighborhood watch people are encouraged to "PLAY POLICE OFFICER" in the future we will have more such tragedy and violence.....Again Zimmerman's life was NOT in danger until he confronted this nasty kid....He should have followed the advise of the police who told him NOT to confront this person.

As I have said, there was a large mob in my town. I went up to one of the organizers, and I asked him why they were so upset. He said that this was an example of how racist America is.
Now I went to a boarding school with 50% of kids coming from other countries, many of them from East Asia, Africa, South America, and the Middle East. I can definitely say that we live in a much less racist place than most of the world.
Every country has racism, but people who throw that term around have no idea what it really means.
When you apply to West Point, you have to write an essay on how you embrace diversity. I wrote mine on how the concept of diversity and its connotations is harmful to actual equality and harmony among different groups because it creates barriers and distinctions where none need to exist. I got in.
Sandor are you sure "mob" is the correct description or demonstration. I'm not going up to talk to "mob" organizers but that's me. I've worked with folks from all over the world and I agree with you about racism. You hear it from some people against others and it sounds almost funny to hear an east Indian complain about Brazilians. Work and school is voluntary and also enforces people getting along. A demonstration is part of freedom of speech even if the speech is emotional and possibly misinformed. Sorry if I sound patronizing Sandor.

You are, of course, right Scott. When I say "mob" I am being sarcastic, but if you read my old post, they actually had a sign demanding Zimmerman be "lynched". You are right about school, but my main point there is that I hear from other kids from many places (for example, China) very racially charged things. There are many places in the world that ARE having race wars and where entire groups of people truly hate other groups.

Please guys do not misunderstand my position....I am NOT defending Treyvon Martin at all...I didn't like some of what I had heard about him.......Also the president's initial comments about this case about Martin were ridiculous IMO......But does anyone here think that Zimmerman was wrong to confront Martin after the police told him not to???? To my way of thinking this is a major issue for me....Why did he not let the police handle it????..... An un-qualified, un-trained and un-uniformed individual was playing "cop"....Again I highly doubt he would have confronted this person if he did not have a gun in his pocket......If neighborhood watch people are encouraged to "PLAY POLICE OFFICER" in the future we will have more such tragedy and violence.....Again Zimmerman's life was NOT in danger until he confronted this nasty kid....He should have followed the advise of the police who told him NOT to confront this person.

I agree, he didn' t respect the procedures.....And another major thing is that in America the use of weapons is too common and automatic, I think that from the "wild west" times the use of weapons hasn' t changed a lot.The fact that everybody can buy a weapon over there doesn' t help, so every police or security man has fear to find an armed man or kid in front of him and this makes people paranoid in my opinion.
Another consideration about this verdict is that in the US there is a law "puzzle" and it is hard for someone to be sentenced for racial hate.

.....And another major thing is that in America the use of weapons is too common and automatic, I think that from the "wild west" times the use of weapons hasn' t changed a lot.The fact that everybody can buy a weapon over there doesn' t help, so every police or security man has fear to find an armed man or kid in front of him and this makes people paranoid in my opinion.
Another consideration about this verdict is that in the US there is a law "puzzle" and it is hard for someone to be sentenced for racial hate.
Yes. it is just terrible....guns, violence, hatred. We have millions of people standing in line at embassies around the
world for a visa to get in and millions more sneeking across our borders just because
we have such soft toilet paper. Spread the word, America is in the crapper. If it isn't one thing
it is another. Pucker up.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009/feb/26/toilet-roll-america

Yes. it is just terrible....guns, violence, hatred. We have millions of people standing in line at embassies around the
world for a visa to get in and millions more sneeking across our borders just because
we have such soft toilet paper. Spread the word, America is in the crapper. If it isn't one thing
it is another. Pucker up.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009/feb/26/toilet-roll-america
Good points. Don't know how I stand living here. I'd much rather live somewhere without plumbing, air-conditioning, medical care, and toilet paper. Always preferred newspaper or corn cobs myself. -- Al

Good points. Don't know how I stand living here. I'd much rather live somewhere without plumbing, air-conditioning, medical care, and toilet paper. Always preferred newspaper or corn cobs myself. -- Al

^&grin

Kind of reminds me of the Python ' We used to live in middle o road' sketch.

' Corn Cobs! You were LUCKY, we had to use a Pineapple or Hedgehog'!!:wink2:

Rob

I don't want to be too political but.....
When people ask me if I am proud to be an American my answer is "I am LUCKY to have been born in America to a middle class family that instilled good values in my upbringing."
A true patriot must criticize his country/government in a constructive manner while at the same time trying to make it better and give back for the benefits it has given him. Another words I never bought the "love it or leave it" mentality.

All in all there is no other place I would rather live. Still we have seen some serious issues and setbacks that must be addressed.
Our health care system is the most expensive in the world and certainly not the best (unless you are wealthy). Our education system is underperforming and adds to our unemployment problems. Our infrastructure is rotting and rusting.
And we are the most violent industrialized country in the world.
That said we do have the system and resources to change this and we have many positive attributes to build on.

My point is that we should not be too defensive when someone criticizes our country or government.....just ask how we could make it better and show me what you have done to make it better.

Brad, Rob, ^&grin^&grin^&grin Of course, I was referring to education and nourishment.:rolleyes2: -- Al

Is that where the Aussie expression "cobber" came from? I wonder if Professor Jack would know {sm4}

Terry

Canada_sign.jpgMexico-border-sign.jpg

Is that where the Aussie expression "cobber" came from? I wonder if Professor Jack would know {sm4}

Terry

It comes from the word 'cob' which I always took as a reference to a male swan. I did a google search to confirm but it suggested that its origin is late Middle English denoting a strong man or leader. It can also mean 'to take a liking to'. It is a word that is now considered old fashioned. To use it in regular conversation is described as 'doing a Howard'.

It comes from the word 'cob' which I always took as a reference to a male swan. I did a google search to confirm but it suggested that its origin is late Middle English denoting a strong man or leader. It can also mean 'to take a liking to'. It is a word that is now considered old fashioned. To use it in regular conversation is described as 'doing a Howard'.

^&grin^&grin^&grin

Terry

This case had a jury trial and after 16 + hours of deliberation a Not Guilty verdict was decided and really needs to be respected. People taking to the streets destroying other peoples property is totally ignorant and uncalled for.
What about the business owners in Oakland or L.A. getting his windows smashed out by some angry mob. Doesn't the business owner have a right to protect their property ????

If you trusted the justice system to find a man guilty, you must trust it when it finds a man not guilty, or it's just partiality you seek.

This case had a jury trial and after 16 + hours of deliberation a Not Guilty verdict was decided and really needs to be respected. People taking to the streets destroying other peoples property is totally ignorant and uncalled for.
What about the business owners in Oakland or L.A. getting his windows smashed out by some angry mob. Doesn't the business owner have a right to protect their property ????

In Europe you can' t defend your property killing someone, especially when outside a building and the suspect without weapons.The self defence here has very stricted limits, you must be in danger for your life , otherwise you commit a murder. In any european country a guy killing a teenager without weapons would have come to jail very probably, and at least fired from his job, so I m not amazed that there have been so many demostrations in the street after the fact.

One has to wonder why the Federal Govt / AG did not get so involved when OJ was found not guilty ?

Seems the ones upset about the not guilty this time are probably the same who were happy when OJ was not guilty.

One has to wonder why the Federal Govt / AG did not get so involved when OJ was found not guilty ?

Seems the ones upset about the not guilty this time are probably the same who were happy when OJ was not guilty.

Not me. The power of money and fame has no colour....In my opinion he was also guilty with so many evidences.....

Not me. The power of money and fame has no colour....In my opinion he was also guilty with so many evidences.....

Got that right...OJ was as guilty as sin....Still Amazes me when I think about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back