Operation Northwind and new BBG Sets (1 Viewer)

You're right, there is the odd photo showing Wehrmacht/army camo being worn by SS and vice versa, especially in Kampfgruppe improvised combat units. However, it is not nearly as common as K&C makes it seem with almost every second set showing this practice. I'm sure that more figures have been produced by K&C with mis-matched SS/army camo than there were guys in the actual war wearing such anomalies.

If K&C wants to mix camo, there are literally a dozen different SS patterns to choose from, some which they have never done (Plane Tree, Palm, Blurred Edge etc.). Most of these would be more accurate for an SS unit than importing Wehrmacht camo out of the blue. And for almost ever pattern, there is summer and fall sides. So go ahead and mix for aesthetic purposes, but for sets depicting SS units, take more advantage of all the neat SS camo available, and save wehrmacht camo for wehrmacht units!

For me, keeping camo "in the family" helps to give different figure sets more background character, instead of the big melting pot hodgepodge we see in so many sets with camo. The sets all start to look the same - instead of being able to say this set represents such and such a famous unit that had this combat history, one is left to say: "um, this represents a bunch of german guys wearing camo".

Hi Guys,

Our experience over the last couple of years has shown that many collectors like to use our winter-themed/clothed German troops in both Western and Eastern Front battle scenarios. K&C encourages that… collectors buy what they like and utilize the figures and vehicles in whatever way or ‘Front’ they see fit to. More power to them.

And a little historical context… Even as early as 1943 German re-supply, especially uniforms, was a major headache for unit quartermasters. Troops utilized what was available… when it was available. Italian camo material was widely used by both Waffen SS and Wehrmacht Divisions. SS ‘pea pattern’ camo can also be seen on Luftwaffe Field units such as ‘The Hermann Goering Division’. And we all know that Army ‘splinter-style’ camo was used by everybody and their brother.

K&C’s position on this topic is that we do mix’n’match camo within our various series. Every indication shows that this practice is both historically accurate and that the artistic variation is appreciated by the vast majority of our collectors. As with all our creations, it is our sincere goal to produce a high quality, historical product that at the same time appeals to the widest possible range of collectors. I hope this adds some value to the discussion and clarifies our position.

Happy Collecting!

Can someone tell me what 'correct' camo looks like when you're fighting in the final stages of a war you are losing, and suffering from not only god awful weather conditions, but severe manpower and supply shortages? The fact that Andy and the guys at K+C choose to mix and match camo patterns - be it for reasons of making the figure sets more aesthetically interesting, or as a nod to some of the realities of war - matters not a jot as far as I'm concerned. Having said that, I actually like the figures that way, for both of the reasons stated above.

As an aside - the ski cap I'm wearing in my avatar has an army eagle above a Waffen SS metal skull, both on the front - not 'correct', but what the officer Richard Schulze was wearing in the field when the photo, on which the uniform was based, was taken - incidentally, 1944/45 - :)

Hear Hear Richard.......You've hit the nail right on the head IMO.

Cheers
H

You're right, there is the odd photo showing Wehrmacht/army camo being worn by SS and vice versa, especially in Kampfgruppe improvised combat units. However, it is not nearly as common as K&C makes it seem with almost every second set showing this practice. I'm sure that more figures have been produced by K&C with mis-matched SS/army camo than there were guys in the actual war wearing such anomalies.

If K&C wants to mix camo, there are literally a dozen different SS patterns to choose from, some which they have never done (Plane Tree, Palm, Blurred Edge etc.). Most of these would be more accurate for an SS unit than importing Wehrmacht camo out of the blue. And for almost ever pattern, there is summer and fall sides. So go ahead and mix for aesthetic purposes, but for sets depicting SS units, take more advantage of all the neat SS camo available, and save wehrmacht camo for wehrmacht units!

For me, keeping camo "in the family" helps to give different figure sets more background character, instead of the big melting pot hodgepodge we see in so many sets with camo. The sets all start to look the same - instead of being able to say this set represents such and such a famous unit that had this combat history, one is left to say: "um, this represents a bunch of german guys wearing camo".

CS

You know - I have never had one person look at my German Dioramas and say "Hey, thats not the correct camo !!"

I think Richard said it very well - there was very little "in the family" consideration going on as the War went along. And I am not sure the relative few German sets that King and Country has produced over the last 20 + can be considered a representation on the entire million ++ German Army as a whole.

Lets not lose the forest for the trees. ;)

Ron

Thanks for your insights Praetorian. It's good to know that at least you're making these choices deliberately.

Italian camo material was widely used by both Waffen SS and Wehrmacht Divisions. SS ‘pea pattern’ camo can also be seen on Luftwaffe Field units such as ‘The Hermann Goering Division’. And we all know that Army ‘splinter-style’ camo was used by everybody and their brother.

Three points:
1) Italian camo was in fact not widely used by the Waffen SS. Only two divisions used it in any quantity whatsoever. 1st SS Leibstandarte acquired some while it was stationed it Italy and when 12th SS Hitlerjugend was created from elements of 1st SS, it was given a bunch of the stock. The false impression that the Waffen SS made great use of Italian camo comes from the fact that 1st SS and 12th SS just so happened to be two of the units heavily encountered by the Allies in Normandy in 1944. In fact, there were close to 30 SS divisions in World War 2, the majority of which fought most of the war on the Eastern Front, and you never see Italian camo filling out their ranks.

2) Herman Goring was a special case - this most elite Luftwaffe ground unit did borrow some SS camo, but really only when it was in North Africa, Sicily and Italy up to 1943. The SS camo of choice seemed to be plane tree. Peadot did not exist yet and was never used in any great quantity by Herman Goring much less any other Luft Field Division, which primarily used Luft Splinter pattern B. By 1944, when pea dot was available to German quartermasters, Hermann Goring had switched to normal Luft splinter as well. Maybe you saw some photo of a Hermann Goring tanker w/ pea dot trousers late in the war or something, but it's an anomaly. I would be curious if you could post it.

3) Popular or not, K&C has never done splinter-style camo on any set that I can remember. What is seen on BBG 14 (and BBG02, 04, WS63-66 etc.) is "marsh" pattern aka "tan and water" aka "sumpfmuster". Some of your competitors (Britains, Honor Bound, Patriot) have done decent splinter. If you wish to do splinter in the future you need to darken the background tan and brown colours seen in BBG14 and change the pattern of the blotches so they have the distinct jagged edge characteristic of splinter.

Sorry, but I've been researching German camo in WW2 for almost eight years. I am very interested in it and have read a pretty extensive library on the subject. ;)

Thanks for your insights Praetorian. It's good to know that at least you're making these choices deliberately.

Three points:
1) Italian camo was in fact not widely used by the Waffen SS. Only two divisions used it in any quantity whatsoever. 1st SS Leibstandarte acquired some while it was stationed it Italy and when 12th SS Hitlerjugend was created from elements of 1st SS, it was given a bunch of the stock. The false impression that the Waffen SS made great use of Italian camo comes from the fact that 1st SS and 12th SS just so happened to be two of the units heavily encountered by the Allies in Normandy in 1944. In fact, there were close to 30 SS divisions in World War 2, the majority of which fought most of the war on the Eastern Front, and you never see Italian camo filling out their ranks.

2) Herman Goring was a special case - this most elite Luftwaffe ground unit did borrow some SS camo, but really only when it was in North Africa, Sicily and Italy up to 1943. The SS camo of choice seemed to be plane tree. Peadot did not exist yet and was never used in any great quantity by Herman Goring much less any other Luft Field Division, which primarily used Luft Splinter pattern B. By 1944, when pea dot was available to German quartermasters, Hermann Goring had switched to splinter as well. Maybe you saw some photo of a Hermann Goring tanker w/ pea dot trousers late in the war or something, but it's an anomaly. I would be curious if you could post it.

3) Popular or not, K&C has never done splinter-style camo on any set that I can remember. What is seen on BBG 14 (and BBG02, 04, WS63-66 etc.) is "marsh" pattern aka "tan and water" aka "sumpfmuster". Some of your competitors (Britains, Honor Bound, Patriot) have done decent splinter. If you wish to do splinter in the future you need to darken the background tan and brown colours seen in BBG14 and change the pattern of the blotches so they have the distinct jagged edge characteristic of splinter.

Sorry, but unlike most here I've been researching German camo in WW2 for almost eight years. I have read a pretty extensive library on the subject. ;)

Hi C-

Always a pleasure to read your posts. They are, and this one is not the exception, very informative. The deep of your knowledge is greatly appreciate, unfortunately not by all. Thanks for sharing.

I hardly beleive that it is better to cure an error instead of perpetuating it. I hope that your efforts to help the manufacturers to produce better and better products will be rewarded.

Having said that, please dear fellow collectors, do not regard my post as a negative critic towards K&C. I am also a loyal K&C fan - so dont tag me as some nay sayer like they used to say south of the border :D

Pierre.

NUTS :eek: it looks like the K & C ski troops won't suit an Ardennes (Bulge) display.

Well BG11 (Command Group) and 13 (Raupen Schlepper) are great for the Bulge.

It is possible that non-mountain troops acquired skis during the Bulge so I would say the right ski guy with the camo pants in BBG10 would be okay. His compatriot on the left with the fur hat has on a mountain trooper three-pocket anorak wind breaker, so that leaves him out until Nordwind in 1945 as Randy describes.

The same for BBG 12 - guy on the left w/ radio is okay for Bulge but guy on the right also has mountain trooper anorak. They both might have mountain trooper pins on their caps - I can't tell from the angle of the photo - which would leave both out until Nordwind.

BBG13 is pretty much a no-no for Ardennes or Nordwind due to all the mountain trooper equipment being carried. SS Nord would've ditched that stuff if not needed in non-mountainous country. It makes a fantastic East Front set in the Caucasus though.

BBG14 figs are good for Nordwind but not the Bulge due to their mountain trooper pins on their hats and their mountain trooper rucksacks. Another peculiarity is their white two-pocket oversmock - I haven't seen too many pics of this uniform item. It existed but was an early war adaption and would be a bit strange to see on four guys in a row so late in the war. Of course, the guy with the marsh Wehrmacht pants really should be part of a different marching column in your display, anyway. :)

Hi C-

Always a pleasure to read your posts. They are, and this one is not the exception, very informative. The deep of your knowledge is greatly appreciate, unfortunately not by all. Thanks for sharing.
Pierre.

Hi Pierre,
I would also like to add my appreciation for the time and effort CS goes into in putting his posts together. They ALWAYS make for good reading.
Thanks for the excellent info CS.
:):)

Cheers
H

No problem - sharing knowledge is what a forum should be for.

I did a tiny bit more research and discovered the following RE: German mountain troop deployment in the Western front at the end of the war.

Towards the very tail end of Operation Nordwind, 6th SS Nord was supported by 2nd Gebirgsjager division (a Wehrmacht/army formation). I suppose one could argue that BBG14 represents an improvised battle group of men from both units fighting side-by-side. This might have happened, I really don't know without doing some more research. To a German camo purist like me, that scenario seems more palatable than saying it's an SS guy wearing Wehrmacht pants. Still invalidates this set for the Bulge proper though because by the time these two units got together we're pushing March 1945.

The other place on the late war Western Front where you COULD see BBG13 in particular, along with BBG12, the left guy with the hat in BBG10, and the guy with the marsh camo pants in BBG14, would be in Italy 1944-45 representing the mysterious 8th Gebirgs division (a division in name only since it was understrength) facing the Allies. Italy at least is mountainous enough for their climbing equipment to still be of some use. The nice thing about depicting this setting in a diorama would be that you could still use most of K&C's American Battle of the Bulge troops as opponents, except here you would say they're serving in Italy (a very much overlooked theatre of operations!). One day it would be nice if K&C made some 10th US Mountain Division soldiers who would also make good opponents.

Praetorian is very much right on one account: with some creativity you can always find uses for many of K&C figures, even though it's different than what's advertised. Research turns up inaccuracies; it also turns up opportunities. ;):)

CS,some excellant points as usual,thanks for posting.I think this is a very interesting discussion going on here.Its really good to hear all (and often expert)opinions on this.I learn new stuff all the time here!

Rob

CS

Your historical reporting on the K&C winter troops is most impressive and quite interesting. I think the toy soldier companies ought to hire you as an advisor. I am wondering what your take is on the winter troops from Honour Bound (ski troops and chow line) and Patriot (for the new winter nebelwerfer). Accuracy, where they might have been in battle, etc. Should the nebelwerfer troops have red arm bands?
Thanks. Randy

Attachments

• HB07a.jpg
    HB07a.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 460
  • HB10a.jpg
    HB10a.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 456
  • p_W2set6.jpg
    p_W2set6.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 326
CS
Your historical reporting on the K&C winter troops is most impressive and quite interesting. I think the toy soldier companies ought to hire you as an advisor. I am wondering what your take is on the winter troops from Honour Bound (ski troops and chow line) and Patriot (for the new winter nebelwerfer). Accuracy, where they might have been in battle, etc. Should the nebelwerfer troops have red arm bands?
Thanks. Randy

Now that would be a nice job! Actually, if they’d just send me their concept work I’d even provide my input for free if it might mean more accurate figures for us.

Before I try to answer your questions, I thought of another interesting possible use for BBG10-14: representing 7th SS Prinz Eugen Division late in the war fighting partisans in Yugoslavia. For Tito’s partisans one could use the two figures in the Assassination of Heydrich set. That was fairly merciless fighting and war crimes were committed by both sides. One of the interesting things about SS mountain troops (Nord, Prinz Eugen, the muslim Handschar division etc.) is that they break the stereotype of SS always being more elite than Wehrmacht divisions. In fact, the Wehrmacht Gebirgsjagers were the elite, well trained ones, usually with Austrian heritage, and the SS divisions sort of tacked on the status of mountain troops to their names. Thus they usually ended up being assigned to less important combat zones like against partisans while the army Gerbirgs divisions got the glory assignments.

Okay, as for the three sets you show:

The HB cook line: Would work fine for Wehrmacht in the Bulge, or Eastern Front Winter 42-43 or later. The guy on the left with supply canisters on his back has a decent splinter camo cover. From pictures though it doesn’t look quite as good as the rendition in HB07B – Summer Cook line – the best splinter camo I’ve seen in a recent release. Second guy from the left wears winter boots and the standard German parka introduced in 1942. He has procured a fur cap patterned after the Russian style, not official issue, but nevertheless very common on the Eastern Front. He has what looks to be a G41 semi-auto rifle. Nice to see someone do this weapon, the predecessor of the German’s more popular and more effective G43 rifle. The tan canvas pouch on his belt is for ammo mags. In a photo on HB’s website you can see he has a splinter shelter quarter rolled up on his back. The next guy has on the same parka and pants, but gray side out, and is wearing the same cap as in that famous Bulge shot of the two Germans in the Schwimmwagen. Last guy picking the dung off his boot has on white camo made in the field out of a table cloth, an improvisation made famous in the fighting around Moscow in 1941 and at Stalingrad. Accuracy looks fine in this set – it’s a bit hard to tell details under the motley winter clothing, but indeed that’s what many German snow troops really looked like.

The red arm band seen on the second guy from the left was for identification purposes. Since in the winter both the Russians and Germans were wearing white winter outfits, the Germans had the idea to put on different coloured armbands (red, green etc.) so they could tell their own men from the enemy's. If you were a patrol going out to fight you might rip it off in combat, and then pin it back on when you returned to friendly lines. It probably worked better in theory than practice. In models and modern colour illustrations red seems to be the favourite colour used.

The Patriot nebelwerfer team: They’re Wehrmacht based on the splinter trousers on the kneeling NCO or officer (identified as such due to his black map case), and because it looks like their bottom parka pocket flaps are cut straight across (SS pocket flaps were pointy/scalloped). The best splinter colours I’ve seen by Patriot is in the set where the grenadier is leaping over the wall, even though it lacks a bit of the necessary “rain drop” background pattern. Because of the camouflage on the trousers, this set wouldn’t work for winter 42-43 because the parkas becoming available then were only white reversible to gray. So these guys are great for Eastern front winter 43-44 or 44-45. This set would also work for the Bulge, no problem. Guy on the left is operating the detonator which fired the nebelwerfer. Wires would run out of that box to the nebelwefer itself. Those tubes the guy in the middle is handling are the cases containing the nebelwerfer rockets. One issue is that the case on the ground especially looks a tad bit skinny to be holding a whole rocket. Should be thicker I think.

Since these guys are manning artillery behind the lines they don’t need red armbands on their parkas. Coincidentally, red was indeed the colour of artillery, but that was for the shoulderboard piping worn on the regular German tunic jackets - those of course are hidden beneath these guy's parkas.

HB Ski Troops: Long story short, taken as a set it is most indicative of the Eastern Front in winter 1944-45. On the Western Front, the guy with the sled could work for the Bulge as a Wehrmacht soldier, but because of their mountain gear the three guys on the left would have to be reserved for Nordwind or the Italy scenario described above etc.

This is another well done set by Honor Bound: I have it on order. In some ways I think it is the best ski set done by a manufacturer because you can clearly see the definitive three-pocket mountain trooper windbreaker on the guy on the left. That said, HB has made its share of camo mistakes too: the camouflage on HB03B “Wehrmacht Summer troops” is pretty messed up – it’s actually mostly SS pattern, with the bizarre use of Italian camo and pea dot in smocks. Never seen that before in my references.

If you're interested here's a more detailed writeup about the HB ski set I posted a while back in a discussion on another forum:

If you want to include all the figures in the set then I think your assessment about Eastern Front winter 1943-44 is spot on. It depends on what it says on the label of the panzerfaust anti-tank weapon in the guy's sled (if even legible). If it is a panzerfaust 30 (not to be confused with panzerfaust 30k for klein, which had a different smaller-shaped warhead), then winter 1943-44 is appropriate. If it says panzerfaust 60 (visually almost identical to panzerfaust 30 but operationally had a larger range), then this scene would have to be winter 44-45 because the panzerfaust 60, despite often being erroneously portrayed as being used by the Germans in Normandy, actually did not enter service until fall 1944. But so many of this weapon were produced before the end of the war that it quickly became the most common panzerfaust, even though it was actually a 3rd generation model.

If you drop the guy pulling the sled with the panzerfaust, then the three guys on the left would actually work as early as Jan.-April of 1943 (eastern front).

In terms of ski troops, all Gebirgsjager divisions, both Wehrmacht and SS, would have access to skis as basic equipment when needed. Also skis were used on the Northern sector of the Eastern Front by regular infantry divisions from time to time. Even when there were no mountains around, skis (and snowshoes) were apparently very useful during the winter months as a fast way for groups of soldiers to quickly cover distance for the purposes of long range patrols, reconnaissance, ambush, harassment, delivering messages, anti-partisan activities, etc. The use of skis in the cross-country role is something the Germans picked up from the Finns and Russians (versus using them downhill in mountains which German and Austrian troops were more familiar with).

There was also two specialized Skijager regiments formed in 1943 as the 1st Skijager Brigade (sept. 43). Information on these guys is a little elusive, but I know this unit fought on the Eastern Front that winter. It became a division in June 1944 (even though it was considered a light Jager division, it apparently had a complement of howitzers, anti-tank guns, flak guns, StuGs and captured T-34s) and it saw combat that summer in the central sector of the Eastern Front retreating toward the Vistula. It then move to Czechoslovakia, north to Poland, then Upper Silesia and finished the war in Czechoslovakia. Some smaller ski battalions (sometimes ad-hoc ones) also saw action on the Eastern Front. For example 6th SS Gebirgsjager Division Nord had an elite battalion of Norwegian skiers called SS-Skijägerbattalion "Norge".

You are correct that the fellow pointing on the left is from a Gebirgs division or the Skijager brigade because he is wearing the special mountain anorak (white side out) which can be identified by the three chest pockets. I can't tell what type of winter clothing the other fellow with skis beside him is wearing. It looks like the guy with the panzerfaust sled is wearing the typical German parka (white side out) which was used by all branches of Werhmacht and SS troops, so he's not necessarily a Gebirgsjager or SkiJager specifically, though they used this parka too.

The guy in the gray outfit third from the left also has a mountain trooper’s large rucksack which again lends credence to the idea this is a set of specialist Gebirgsjagers/Skijagers. Now in spite of this set being named “Werhmacht snow troops”, this fellow looks to be wearing a gray SS-pattern anorak based on the fur around the collar and the pockets that seem to be on the chest, neither of which were generally present on standard greatcoats (though until I have this figure in my hand I cannot confirm for certain). Perhaps he borrowed it from an SS comrade, or perhaps these fellows are actually SS. The only thing to signify them as Wehrmacht is that in the sled there is a splinter pattern Wehrmacht shelter quarter rolled up.

Last edited:
That's really good research CS. Keep it coming!
I used to collect a lot of Dragon/BBI 1/6th figures before I came to this scale and you'd never see the mix of Wehrmacht and SS camouflage amongst the hundreds of figures that they've put out. And if Dragon did produce a SS soldier with splinter trousers there'd be a riot on the forums that would make Treefrog seem like a playground spat! :)

That's really good research CS. Keep it coming!
I used to collect a lot of Dragon/BBI 1/6th figures before I came to this scale and you'd never see the mix of Wehrmacht and SS camouflage amongst the hundreds of figures that they've put out. And if Dragon did produce a SS soldier with splinter trousers there'd be a riot on the forums that would make Treefrog seem like a playground spat! :)

Me too CS, thanks for the amazingly detailed insight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back