Over paid, over sexed and over here - recreating the US engagement in the ETO (2 Viewers)

This looks great Kevin. Keep it going!

Duke thank you.

I hope the 'tongue in cheek title' doesn't cause any offence, it occured to me after I started not everyone gets the Brit humour.

This is meant to be as much an homage as the other threads.

http://med-dept.com/amb.php

Contains detailed info regarding WW2 ambulances

http://med-dept.com/amb.php

Contains organisation and other information about the medical battalion in an infantry division.

http://history.amedd.army.mil/ANCWebsite/anchome.html

This is a superb website for more detailed information about the Army Nursing Corps and the the detailed history of the Medical Department.

From this site http://history.amedd.army.mil/medal.html

Pvt. Harold A. Garman
blackpixel.jpg
row3-headerbl.jpg
Medal of Honor Recipients
GarmanH.jpg
Rank and organization: Private, U.S. Army, Company B, 5th Medical Battalion, 5th Infantry Division.
Place and date: Near Montereau, France, 25 August 1944.
Entered service at: Albion, Ill.
Born: Fairfield, Ill.
G.O. No.: 20, 29 March 1945.

Citation: For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk ofhis life above and beyond the call of duty. On 25 August 1944, in the vicinity of Montereau, France, the enemy was sharply contesting any enlargement of the bridgehead which our forces had established on the northern bank of the Seine River in this sector.

Casualties were being evacuated to the southern shore in assault boats paddled by litter bearers from a medical battalion. Pvt. Garman, also a litter bearer in this battalion, was working on the friendly shore carrying the wounded from the boats to waiting ambulances.

As 1 boatload of wounded reached midstream, a German machinegun suddenly opened fire upon it from a commanding position on the northern bank 100 yards away. All of the men in the boat immediately took to the water except 1 man who was so badly wounded he could not rise from his litter. Two other patients who were unable to swim because of their wounds clung to the sides of the boat.

Seeing the extreme danger of these patients, Pvt. Garman without a moment's hesitation plunged into the Seine. Swimming directly into a hail of machinegun bullets, he rapidly reached the assault boat and then while still under accurately aimed fire towed the boat with great effort to the southern shore.

This soldier's moving heroism not only saved the lives of the three patients but so inspired his comrades that additional assault boats were immediately procured and the evacuation of the wounded resumed. Pvt. Garman's great courage and his heroic devotion to the highest tenets of the Medical Corps may be written with great pride in the annals of the corps.

Attachments

• 0642red.jpg
    0642red.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 235
  • 0651red.jpg
    0651red.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 240
  • 0851red.jpg
    0851red.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 221
  • 0682red.jpg
    0682red.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 199
  • 0911red.jpg
    0911red.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 211
Tech. 5th Grade Alfred L. Wilson
blackpixel.jpg
row3-headerbl.jpg
Medal of Honor Recipients
wilsona.jpg
Rank and organization: Technician Fifth Grade, U.S. Army, Medical Detachment, 328th Infantry, 26th Infantry Division.
Place and date: Near Bezange la Petite, France, 8 November 1944.
Entered service at: Fairchance, Pa.
Birth: Fairchance, Pa.
G.O. No.: 47, 18 June 1945.

Citation: He volunteered to assist as an aid man a company other than his own, which was suffering casualties from constant artillery fire. He administered to the wounded and returned to his own company when a shellburst injured a number of its men. While treating his comrades he was seriously wounded, but refused to be evacuated by litter bearers sent to relieve him. In spite of great pain and loss of blood, he continued to administer first aid until he was too weak to stand. Crawling from 1 patient to another, he continued his work until excessive loss of blood prevented him from moving. He then verbally directed unskilled enlisted men in continuing the first aid for the wounded. Still refusing assistance himself, he remained to instruct others in dressing the wounds of his comrades until he was unable to speak above a whisper and finally lapsed into unconsciousness. The effects of his injury later caused his death. By steadfastly remaining at the scene without regard for his own safety, Cpl. Wilson through distinguished devotion to duty and personal sacrifice helped to save the lives of at least 10 wounded men.

Attachments

• 0642red.jpg
    0642red.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 219
Nice as always Kevin-

BTW- I have a book titled The Gentle Giant regarding Cpl. Wilson- pretty good book- I met his niece?? at the WW2 show in Reading (Pennsylvania mind you:tongue:) and she signed it for my son and daughter. Great guy to draw inspiration from.

Nice
Mitch

nice display

Nice as always Kevin-

BTW- I have a book titled The Gentle Giant regarding Cpl. Wilson- pretty good book- I met his niece?? at the WW2 show in Reading (Pennsylvania mind you:tongue:) and she signed it for my son and daughter. Great guy to draw inspiration from.

I have the winter version of the U.S. ambulance. This one sold out quick !

Thanks, front view of the old DD10 ambulance

1653red.jpg

Casualty on the way

IMG_527911red.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back