Pacific (1 Viewer)

panzeraces

I am interested in what people think about the Pacific. I like the series, but, think its not as good as BOB though I personally like this theatre of operations.

My second point is whether anyone knows or thinks K&C may release new IJ troops as with all the interset in this it seems a wise business venture.

I know all the arguments about the forgotten war and that the original series were not really popular but, surely it would be a nice change to get some sets from this theatre instead of ETO all the time.

British and commonwealth troops would be nice and, for me, some of the poses from the IJ range were more realistic than D-Day etc.

I agree that it would be great to see a few new releases from the Pacific, and it would make sense at this time because of interest the new series is generating. I know it got me to reading more about that theater of operations. I also agree the show isn't quite as good as BOB. What I don't think we will ever see, and something I know I would personally love, is a representation of US army soldiers instead of Marines in the Pacific. I know the Marines earned a lot of fame there, and deservedly so, but my grandfather fought in the army in the Phillipines and other places, and I would love to have a chance to buy some of those figures - just a small set or two would do.

I really like this series.If I had to rate them BOB would be a 10 and Pacific 9.I have always been more interested in the Pacific theater.
Mark

I really like this series.If I had to rate them BOB would be a 10 and Pacific 9.I have always been more interested in the Pacific theater.
Mark

My favourite theatre has always been the ETO and so BOB is one of my favourite progs of all time,but am also absolutely loving Pacific it is superbly done and is igniting my interest in that theatre.Must also give a nod to Stryker here,his enthusiasm and knowledge for the subject has encouraged me to learn more about it.I guesss I should be glad there are no K&C Marines right now,I'd be completely broke!;)

Rob

Rated it a 9 but that could change as there are 4 episodes left.Just watched #5 again and liked it better than first time.Great series either way.
Mark

Good Series, not as good as Band of Brothers but still pretty good. I would love to see some miniatures from it.

Pacific as a series had some good point but, overall I thought it was poor. Andy has said they don't sell many many times to many many people so, expect them soon!! I would like to see any return move away from the japanese V US marine thing. Almost Forgotten in this is the fact that the brits and commonwealth forces played a major role in the theatre. Chindits etc would be a range I would be interested in but, I would not buy a range with just marines and Japanese and, would not buy japanese full stop. For me, it was the most boring range covering WWII that K&C have produced.

I am not so sure that the release of pacific or say some figarti sets on this theatre has sparked any more interest than was there in the first place. It just has gone down as one of those theatres that kindles less enthusiasm in people all over the world. ETO is the place with most interest and always will be
Mitch

Good points made by all, and they fall within my take, also.

I (personally) like the Pacific Theater more than the European, but mostly because my father and uncles and more family were all Pacific Navy swabbies and First wave Marines.

I grew up with dozens of stories on the Coral Sea; Savo Island and Midway. Tales of Guadalcanal; Tarawa, Kwajalein and Majura Atolls .. and more at the T'Day dinner was always to be expected and the arguments of NAVY vs. MARINES occured on every occasion --- GOOD TIMES!

I would have really gotten into the K&C Pacific series (Sand of Iwo Jima) but it had a short life (30 something sets I think) and ended before I really got started.

The eBay prices are silly high.

QUESTION: I see Figarti and K&C as the only PTO makers.

Anyone else who still makes this range that is early enough to get going?????

Thanks Gents -- Larry

The japanese are one enemy i wouldnt have liked to fight against
Scott

The japanese are one enemy i wouldnt have liked to fight against
Scott

That is an interesting question, Scott, upon a bit or reflection …….. Who were the most feared WWII troops?:confused:

(I am not going to start a poll, {sm3} but someone can if they wish. {sm2} I suppose that someone could even start a poll to include all the armies in History, from the Ancient Egyptians thru to the Taliban, but .…. Not here)

However, given all that we know about WWII I would not select the Japanese as the most feared enemy.

On one hand they were skilled at warfare. They had little or no fear of death and obeyed orders without question. The Japanese soldier came into war expecting (almost hoping) to die. But those traits were exactly why they were defeated. (IMHO).

At the earliest stages of WWII they seemed unstoppable. However, after initial Allied setbacks and disasters the US, British and Commonwealth armies learned the ways of the Japanese soldier, the war that the Japanese fought and the environment that they had to fight in. The US, Brits adapted and learned.

* The Japanese did very little to update their tactics during the numerious campaigns, even after major defeats.
* How many were killed in silly, worthless Banazi attacks and suicide charges? The troops could have been used elsewhere.
* What was the advantage of “Fighting to the last man”, rather than employing a strategic retreat or withdrawal?
* Why did they act with such an unbridled brutality, causing the Allies to fight with an increased ferocity themselves? MORE…..

My choice would be ……. <drum roll> …… the United States Army!
Facts behind my decision, if required in another pots as this is getting long. --- Larry

I would narrow that down to the US Airborne and Rangers. They trained together as a unit from the begining and went into battle together as a unit. That breeds a organized in sync fighting team. And also develops a chemistry between the men. But in the end I respect all of the US Troops and Allies who fought in WWII . Alex

Wouldn't want to forget to include the US Marines or the US Navy in this discussion. After all, they were involved in one vicious campaign after another, pushing a fanatical enemy back across the huge expanse of the Pacific Ocean, to the point of invading the Japanese homeland. Just saying... -- Al

Wouldn't want to forget to include the US Marines or the US Navy in this discussion. After all, they were involved in one vicious campaign after another, pushing a fanatical enemy back across the huge expanse of the Pacific Ocean, to the point of invading the Japanese homeland. Just saying... -- Al

Oh, no way I would discount the Marines. I would say that they were right at the top of the BEST fighting forces of WWII, but not necessarily the most feared.
The reason for that statement is, I don’t think that the Japanese had any fear of anyone (or believed) that the US Marines and US Army had “worthy” fighting soldiers.
That was reinforced by the initial mass surrenders at the beginning of the war. I wonder if that gave Japan a false sense of confidence that they would win the war; thus leading to bad decisions for the remainder of the PTO.
I view the US Navy the same way. Heck, I WAS US NAVY so I know a bit there.
For the same reason, I don’t believe that the Japanese Navy thought much about the fleet or the US Navy’s resolve, especially after Pearl Harbor.

-- Larry

Oh, no way I would discount the Marines. I would say that they were right at the top of the BEST fighting forces of WWII, but not necessarily the most feared.
The reason for that statement is, I don’t think that the Japanese had any fear of anyone (or believed) that the US Marines and US Army had “worthy” fighting soldiers.
That was reinforced by the initial mass surrenders at the beginning of the war. I wonder if that gave Japan a false sense of confidence that they would win the war; thus leading to bad decisions for the remainder of the PTO.
I view the US Navy the same way. Heck, I WAS US NAVY so I know a bit there.
For the same reason, I don’t believe that the Japanese Navy thought much about the fleet or the US Navy’s resolve, especially after Pearl Harbor.

-- Larry
Agree. Overconfidence and contempt for their enemie's abilities was a major Japanese failing in their strategy and tactics against both their Asian and Western adversaries. It goes a long way towards explaining many of the Japanese failures on land, sea, and air. It permeated everything they did. -- Al

As I said I respect everyone who fought, but that unique aspect of the keeping a unit together from training to combat, which the US Rangers and Airborne did, gives a unique edge of cohesiveness . Remember in BOB how there resolve was forged in training and grew as they progresses with each other

As a Firefighter my Combat Zone was the very hostile inner city. Our crack units were the ones who were together for a long time and trained and fought the Red Devil together. As a Chief I knew what units to rely on when the going got tough

Many of our men were Veterans and they supported that concept. Alex

Last edited:
Good points made by all, and they fall within my take, also.

I (personally) like the Pacific Theater more than the European, but mostly because my father and uncles and more family were all Pacific Navy swabbies and First wave Marines.

I grew up with dozens of stories on the Coral Sea; Savo Island and Midway. Tales of Guadalcanal; Tarawa, Kwajalein and Majura Atolls .. and more at the T'Day dinner was always to be expected and the arguments of NAVY vs. MARINES occured on every occasion --- GOOD TIMES!

I would have really gotten into the K&C Pacific series (Sand of Iwo Jima) but it had a short life (30 something sets I think) and ended before I really got started.

The eBay prices are silly high.

QUESTION: I see Figarti and K&C as the only PTO makers.

Anyone else who still makes this range that is early enough to get going?????

Thanks Gents -- Larry

I understand you Larry...Americans had much harder fightings and much higher casualties in the " pacific" than in Europe....I find very strange that no companies makes this range as most collectors are americans...

I understand you Larry...Americans had much harder fightings and much higher casualties in the " pacific" than in Europe....I find very strange that no companies makes this range as most collectors are americans...
K&C has made the Iwo Jima range, the question was asked of Andy at the Brisbane dinner...will it be continued? the answer was it didn't sell and was one of K&C least successful ranges participially in the U.S...go figure.
Wayne.

Yes the Navy played a very important role. They gave the Marines a ride to the battles. SEMPER FI

Yes Wayne, that came up with the talk about Kokoda, which he also pretty much ruled out. The thing is though, that he could do one set of Japanese, maybe only 8 - 9 figures and they could oppose Australians on Kokoda, Marines anywhere and the British and Gurkas in Burma. It just seems that with one lot of sculpting a line could go for years - providing there were buyers for their allied opponents and I accept that it's likely there would be only a limited number given other ranges are clearly more popular. Still I wonder whether an 11th Airborne or 1st Cavalry or 25th Infantry might just spark interest in the states?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back