Paint color for a K&C figure (1 Viewer)

Jagdpanther

2nd Lieutenant
I need to touch up The M1 Rifle on the GI figure from Christmas set XM010-02. Was wondering what paint color's for the gun stock and metal parts would closely match it?

Was wondering what paint color's for the gun stock and metal parts would closely match it?

I do a lot for touching up paint chips and repairs for local collectors, but I cannot get the exact colours from any commercial paints,
so I have to mix into something close and get the best match I can.

This can involve a number of goes, especially as paint will dry darker or lighter, depending on the colours.

All I can suggest, is 'give it a try' .... good luck !!!

John

I have a few damaged figures too but I'm not sure I would be able to fix it... I would also be afraid to be disappointed by the result and I suppose it is, as you said, very difficult to find the exact same colors as K&C uses.
It would be easier if they could sell some samples of their paints and even brushes... it would allow us to do a better work and it would be a new service from our favourite brand...
May Andy read this message :tongue:

I have a few damaged figures too but I'm not sure I would be able to fix it... I would also be afraid to be disappointed by the result and I suppose it is, as you said, very difficult to find the exact same colors as K&C uses.
It would be easier if they could sell some samples of their paints and even brushes... it would allow us to do a better work and it would be a new service from our favourite brand...

Hi Guys,
Re matching paint colours: When our master painters paint the original figure for the factory they also individually mix ranges of different colours to get the exact shade they (and me) want. Our guys also use many different makers of acrylic paints such as Tamiya, Vallejo and Games Workshop and others.

The factories then copy our 'master figure painted sample' by mixing their own paints in the quantity they require to replicate whatever colours best match the original and meet the production order of that piece.

So when retouching any toy soldier figure from any company it's best to 'mix and match' using your own acrylic colours to the best of your ability. Alas, No factory or maker keeps or carries extra batches of colours that can be sent out if and when any figure is damaged.

Hope this explains the situation,
Andy.

For those who have had poor luck getting the right color on repairs (or if you don't want to try it yourself), there is a repairman that I use who is very good, Mike DeMarco. He knows how to blend colors. He is also expert in any kind of repairs. Many forum members have used him such as Tom Dubel, Mike Tarantino and Zach Lang. See https://forum.treefrogtreasures.com/showthread.php?54117-Michael-DeMarco-Painting-Services Other than Obee, there is no one better than him.

If you're interested, please pm me or email me at blewin2222@aol.com. Since Mike doesn't have an email, I act for him.

Brad

Mike and Obee are my go to people! Seriously, for USA fixes, Mike is very reasonable and can blend so that you don't even know it was fixed, he is also very good at parts repair and reconditioning. Go with confidence in his work and contact Brad. In all seriousness a $10 - 15 fix is less hassle than doing it yourself in most cases. What he can do in 20 mins will save you and hour!
TD

Afternoon Jagdpanther as John (Obee) mentioned, and stated by Andy, there is no one paint chart or line that is a 100% exact match.

But, if you are only looking to touch up a chip on a small item, like you said as gun stock, then it is really very easy.

Get any of the paint that Andy mentioned or really any paint at a hobby store.

Start with a drop of the basic color (Brown?) and then add a bit of lighter or darker shades of paint until it is close enough to the original for your liking. If this is the first time, try making a few tries on a piece of plastic or maybe an old figure. Note the mixture and try it out, let it dry and see the results. I use a very fine brush and make sure I water it down so you don't get a "clump" of paint.

After a few tries it becomes easy.

--- LaRRy

I know its not going to be 100% match. Its just a chip on the rifle but is noticeable. Not worth sending it to someone. I will play around see what happens. Thank you .

Sometimes when repairing damaged paint on a figure it is simpler to repaint the damaged part in a color that is available or close to it rather than trying to match the existing color by mixing up a batch for a small area. Repainting a whole rifle stock gives both a uniform color and a smooth application IMO.

Sometimes when repairing damaged paint on a figure it is simpler to repaint the damaged part in a color that is available or close to it rather than trying to match the existing color by mixing up a batch for a small area. Repainting a whole rifle stock gives both a uniform color and a smooth application IMO.

An excellent point ... {sm4}
If you just dab a dot of paint on one spot it "might" be a little noticeable when viewed up close. However if you paint the single section (not necessarily the whole gun) you won't notice it at all.

--- LaRRy

I need to touch up The M1 Rifle on the GI figure from Christmas set XM010-02. Was wondering what paint color's for the gun stock and metal parts would closely match it?

Jagdpanther,

Take the figure that needs touch up with you to a retailer that has hobby paint and do a side by side
comparison with the rifle and paint bottle. Worked for me on several occasions.

Wayne

I droped a Wermacht figure a while back and badly bent his K98 rifle, managed to straighten it up but of course the paint flaked off. I used Revell
acryl paint in the little blue cubes, i used a mixture of their brick red tones and it matched perfectly....one little tip if i may..dont mix the paint before hand. take a very small fine pointed brush and put a tiny amount of paint where you want it from both pots, then its just a question of blending it to the correct shade, adding a fraction more paint from either of the pots or maybe a fraction white or black till you get the correct shade....Good luck.

Steve

hi all,

I have a K&C desert Panzer III AK019 which someone repainted and made a mess of. its light purple !!

I know Andy said below the original paint colors are a special mix and there is no exact paint code but im hoping someone else uses Humbrol Enamel and has a clue as to which of their paints to use/try to get it back as close as possible to the original.

anyone know ? I tried Humbrol Enamel Matt 103 for example but thats a light yellow, the K&C desert color is even lighter and more brown/sand than that.

And the flesh/skin color needs repainting too - anyone know which Humbrol Enamel paint to use for that ? its quite a bright pink/flesh color on the originals.

any help would be most useful.

Thanks!

Stefan
London

A well done effort on a damaged figure would be fine,,especially if you are pleased with it,,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back