Paint Flaking (1 Viewer)

Paint flaking on Figarti models has been extensively discussed here. I searched the Forum and found these photos. As you can see, what these models exhibited were paint flaking, which arose out of the failure to apply primer. I don’t believe Cameron has that problem, fortunately.

54E8973C-528D-4CB9-BEA6-1B71C7A75CFA.jpeg

Did you happen to rewrap the figures in the white tissue they come with, or did they have direct contact with the foam packing. I have had some negative results storing gloss figures in foam, and no longer store any type of figure in foam without wrapping it in some acid free tissue first.

One of my "50%off Greeks" had a flaked wrist. That has been the only instance I have had of flaking on FL figures.

Hi all,
Just wanted to give an update that I've went through almost all of my Iron Brigade figures and found that 12 of them are experiencing paint flaking to some extent. Below is a photo of my most recent inspection. I opened this figure up from it's original packaging and found the flaking spot towards the bottom of his frock coat, but away from any edges. Again I wonder if the sometimes cooler temps in my spare bedroom have something to do with this? It probably only gets into the low 60's or maybe upper 50's, but I'm in and out so it does get warm from time to time. Also nothing has been rubbing up against my figures at all. I am at a complete loss with this and about as low as I can be right now...

P.S. I have been in touch with Matt and he's working with me on a solution.

Uniform Body.jpg

Last edited:
I have around 40 of these figures still unopened from their boxes since i dont have space to put them .and reading this makes me a little uneasy about how they will be. Im still in vacation and returning in 2weeks back home. I just cant wait to open them and have a look at them.
I will report here on the 8th February.

Serge :)
Hi all,
Just wanted to give an update that I've went through almost all of my Iron Brigade figures and found that 12 of them are experiencing paint flaking to some extent. Below is a photo of my most recent inspection. I opened this figure up from it's original packaging and found the flaking spot towards the bottom of his frock coat, but away from any edges. Again I wonder if the sometimes cooler temps in my spare bedroom have something to do with this? It probably only gets into the low 60's or maybe upper 50's, but I'm in and out so it does get warm from time to time. Also nothing has been rubbing up against my figures at all. I am at a complete loss with this and about as low as I can be right now...

View attachment 225958

That you have numerous figures Cameron with problems but no one else has reported a problem makes me think this is a situation unique to you. What are the causes is the question.

I have around 40 of these figures still unopened from their boxes since i dont have space to put them .and reading this makes me a little uneasy about how they will be. Im still in vacation and returning in 2weeks back home. I just cant wait to open them and have a look at them.
I will report here on the 8th February.

To be on the safe side, I took a look at my Civil War soldiers (I have about 25, six or seven of which are Iron Brigade) and I didn’t see any problems. My philosophy is that if I can’t display a figure, i.e., it’s kept in a box, I sell it. This is particularly true with First Legion as they are such quality that keeping them in a box doesn’t make any sense to me. I used to have about 60 to 70 Civil War soldiers, most of them in boxes. I sold all the ones I couldn’t display.

That you have numerous figures Cameron with problems but no one else has reported a problem makes me think this is a situation unique to you. What are the causes is the question.

The only cause that comes to mind and it is a longshot is that flaking can be caused by repeated large very rapid swings in temperature and humidity. The metal figure will expand and shrink at a different rate as the paint possibly damaging any weakly adhering paint. I wonder if the house move could be part of the problem.

Terry

Guys, don't be sad if you discover flakings on your toysoldiers, in fact the law that regulates the world is named " impermanence". So, impermanent are the toysoldiers, as well as impermanent is the money you spent to buy them....Only a little thing.:)

Brad,

Thats true about selling what i cant display,
But i find it dificult to sell my what i do have. I still regret some items that i sold in the last few months.
But the good news , i found a company that make display glass to your measurement at a very reasonable price, and found another company that makes the wooden base and top. I should receive 8 cabinets around May of this year. 78 inches High x 48 inches wide x 20 inches deep with locking sliding doors. And 5 (1/4 inches tick glass shelves).
Then i will have some more space to put some of my collection on display.
I need a new house just to display what i have in stocks.

To be on the safe side, I took a look at my Civil War soldiers (I have about 25, six or seven of which are Iron Brigade) and I didn’t see any problems. My philosophy is that if I can’t display a figure, i.e., it’s kept in a box, I sell it. This is particularly true with First Legion as they are such quality that keeping them in a box doesn’t make any sense to me. I used to have about 60 to 70 Civil War soldiers, most of them in boxes. I sold all the ones I couldn’t display.

I have figures from K&C, TG, Figarti, Conte, TCS, Del Prado, WB and Kronprinze. I have pewter figure castings from many makers that I have painted myself over 45 years. None of these figures have had a flaking problem. The figures I have painted myself have both enamel and acrylic paints. The figures have been displayed in New York and Seattle at temperatures from 67 to 110 degrees F and relative humidity of 40% to 99% with no flaking under these conditions. The figures are displayed on open shelves.

The only things I can think of that would cause your problem is contaminated paint or primer or exposure to some chemical solvent. Acetone, Alcohol or Tolulene fumes could affect the paint. Temperature or humidity changes within normal indoor ranges should not cause flaking in my experience. New sealed display cases if made of particle board can outgas Formaldahyde or other solvent fumes that could affect paint integrity.

Storage in the original foam shipping boxes should nor affect the paint. I have old inventory K&C and Conte figures I have purchased that have been in their boxes for years without any damage.

I hope this info is helpful.

Hi all,

View attachment 225958

Upon more inspection of my collection today I have found that a few (of the ones I have looked at thus far) of my WWII collection have some small paint flaking spots. A couple of the 101st Airborne figures and a couple of the Normandy Waffen-SS. I have also found that two of my figures within my King & Country collection had two small spots that could easily spread (Victory at Last RA070). Most of these spots are occurring on the edges of the figures as discussed earlier in the thread and in the photo examples.

A question I have is that should any paint flake off somewhat easily when you apply a little pressure from your fingernail? I'm finding that this happens very easily with my figures.

Finally...at this point I just assume my environment is causing this from the shifts of hot and cold that occur in my spare bedroom. When I'm in here I do turn on a little electric heater to warm it up. I almost feel like throwing everything away and calling it quits. I know these are just material things, but toy soldier collecting has always been of great joy for me. To have this many figures within my collection experience this is almost too much to care any longer.

I wonder if there was something in the plastic bags that is causing this. As Katana said, some kind of solvent that is causing the problem.

I really feel for you. This has got to suck big time.

I wonder if there was something in the plastic bags that is causing this. As Katana said, some kind of solvent that is causing the problem.

All of my Iron Brigade figures which are the ones the most affected by the flaking are stored in their original boxes.

Cameron, I’m sure Mike could fix them if you decided to ho down that path.

at this point I just assume my environment is causing this from the shifts of hot and cold that occur in my spare bedroom. When I'm in here I do turn on a little electric heater to warm it up.

I don't think an electric heater warming a cool room would cause paint loss. That's what I do in my display room in the Winter.

Terry

I don't think an electric heater warming a cool room would cause paint loss. That's what I do in my display room in the Winter.

Terry

It must be something else. The room in which I keep many of my figures (by all kinds of makers) can gets warm in the summer and cold in the winter and aside from air conditioning and heat that circulates in the upstairs floor, I use no other form of ventilation.

You live in NC, which I imagine doesn’t suffer from extremes in temperature, so it’s quite a mystery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back