Panzer Colors in Photos from Armor Museums. (1 Viewer)

Katana,

You have not picked up on it so I'll just state it plainly. Please stop asking me to post pics/respond to your questions.

It's a complete waste of my time to gather info, do research, and post pictures to refute your assertions or answer your questions. I find your inconsistent logic and often nonsensical statements tedious.

I have no interest in engaging with you. We see the world too differently. Life is too short and the beauty of being an adult is you can choose to not interact with people who annoy you. This is not meant to be an insult, just a statement of fact.

Best of luck to you sir, and I do hope you continue to enjoy the hobby as I do.

Cheers.

Last edited:
"A JJD Jagdpanther at $268.00 or and Award Winning 1/35 scale model for $250.00; which would you choose?".

I dont normally participate in the technical armour discussions but the above stood out to me. I was in the model kit selling business for several years and this statement by Katana is interesting to say the least. I did quick search of Dragon kits and a page called Scalemates had this

Brand: Dragon
Title: Jagdpanther G2
Number: 6609
Scale: 1:35
Released: 2013
Type: Full kit
Includes: Plastic sprues, Photoetch, Waterslide decals, Clear parts, Cable/Wire

With a US$75 RRP. Appears a 2018 version coming out.

For the sake of argument lets say kit is US$70. So by Katana's comment there is an award winning kit that the model maker is charging US$180 to make and paint. Now for it to be an award winning kit I wonder how many hours of work involved ? Any modellers who can give me an idea here ? What would be a good hourly rate ? US$15 per hour ? Is this a viable job prospect because you have to enter a lot of competitions to keep offering award winning models ?

Just exactly where does one go to buy an award winning kit ? Do you buy them off the shelf somewhere or how long would you wait assuming you know the award winning modeller ? If you ordered three would they all be award winning ?

Is there a web page where you can buy one now ? How many different tanks do they have and do the all come with award winning proof ?

Grateful if Katana could point us in the direction where such items are available and a bit more background to his claim. There is no "choice" if we dont know where it comes from.

My two bob's worth on paint.

If you had the correct RAL colour cards you still would not get the right shade as the make up of paint has changed
so much since the 1940's.

I have been spray painting for 30 years and have a pretty good eye for colour matching and very rarely see two paint
companies that use the RAL system come close to making the same colour.

I have painted camo jobs for our armed forces and had to tint the olive drab to match.

I cant see toy soldier companies ordering and checking RAL colours upon arrival and model paint is so inconsistent
from company to company which one is right.

This is not dig at anyone, i just think we are expecting a lot for what we pay.:salute::

Matt

Matt checkout Dream Works Hobby on eBay. The photos of the prebuilt and painted models are an excellent resource. The weathering techniques used are excellent. Given your background I am sure you will find the colors used of great interest.

"A JJD Jagdpanther at $268.00 or and Award Winning 1/35 scale model for $250.00; which would you choose?".

I dont normally participate in the technical armour discussions but the above stood out to me. I was in the model kit selling business for several years and this statement by Katana is interesting to say the least. I did quick search of Dragon kits and a page called Scalemates had this

Brand: Dragon
Title: Jagdpanther G2
Number: 6609
Scale: 1:35
Released: 2013
Type: Full kit
Includes: Plastic sprues, Photoetch, Waterslide decals, Clear parts, Cable/Wire

With a US$75 RRP. Appears a 2018 version coming out.

For the sake of argument lets say kit is US$70. So by Katana's comment there is an award winning kit that the model maker is charging US$180 to make and paint. Now for it to be an award winning kit I wonder how many hours of work involved ? Any modellers who can give me an idea here ? What would be a good hourly rate ? US$15 per hour ? Is this a viable job prospect because you have to enter a lot of competitions to keep offering award winning models ?

Just exactly where does one go to buy an award winning kit ? Do you buy them off the shelf somewhere or how long would you wait assuming you know the award winning modeller ? If you ordered three would they all be award winning ?

Is there a web page where you can buy one now ? How many different tanks do they have and do the all come with award winning proof ?

Grateful if Katana could point us in the direction where such items are available and a bit more background to his claim. There is no "choice" if we dont know where it comes from.

Katana,

For somebody who pays so much attention to detail the use of the term "award winning model" seems misleading. Should actually be "award winner built" as they are listed on the Ebay store. There is a big difference. Now that could mean the maker got 3rd prize in some low level competition but everything he makes after is by an award winner.

I also note they are in Canada and waiting time 6-10 weeks.

They have over 1,200 items listed. Think you might find a "Made in China" background or some kind of production line. The kits are plastic and Jenkins are not.

Since they are so good how many have you bought ? As you say why buy a Jenkins tank (or FL, KC etc) when you can buy any kit you like made by those guys ?

Last edited:
The point I was trying to make is that the increasing prices of Toy Soldier Armor have put them in competition with custom built 1/35 scale models. The models shown on eBay are well done wherever they are made. I build and paint 1/35, 1/30 and 1/25/24 scale models; so I have no need to purchase prebuilt kits. Some of the Dioramas on the eBay Store are quite nicely done IMO.

Pardon my syntax error on the award winning observation. Made in China is not much of an issue since most Toy Soldier figures are made there too. Plastic is a generic term for polymerizing resins, either thermosetting or RIM. Polystyrene models molded in metal molds have better detail than Polyurathane resins i.e. Polystone molded in soft molds. The metal molds last a very long time and can be maintained. Soft molds last for about 100 pieces and are less dimensionally precise.

Katana,

For somebody who pays so much attention to detail the use of the term "award winning model" seems misleading. Should actually be "award winner built" as they are listed on the Ebay store. There is a big difference. Now that could mean the maker got 3rd prize in some low level competition but everything he makes after is by an award winner.

I also note they are in Canada and waiting time 6-10 weeks.

They have over 1,200 items listed. Think you might find a "Made in China" background or some kind of production line. The kits are plastic and Jenkins are not.

Since they are so good how many have you bought ? As you say why buy a Jenkins tank (or FL, KC etc) when you can buy any kit you like made by those guys ?

Last edited:
I bought 2 tanks from Deamworks last year, i like them very much.

The seller is from Toronto but everything comes directly from China. He must have peoples there working for him.

Anyway shipping was very fast. Took almost 2 weeks for custom built tanks.

I will try to post photos of my 2 Tiger I tanks.

Serge. :)

Here are some photos.

Let me know if you like it or not.

Serge

Attachments

• IMG_1878.JPG
    IMG_1878.JPG
    617.7 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_1879.JPG
    IMG_1879.JPG
    618.2 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_1880.JPG
    IMG_1880.JPG
    576 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_1881.JPG
    IMG_1881.JPG
    541.2 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_1882.JPG
    IMG_1882.JPG
    633.7 KB · Views: 112
Here are some more.

If you wish i can take more pictures from tthose 2 tanks from Dreamworks from Ebay.
They are all plastics. 1/35 scale and turret from the Winter tank doesnt rotate.

Serge

Attachments

• IMG_1883.JPG
    IMG_1883.JPG
    612.6 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_1884.JPG
    IMG_1884.JPG
    505 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_1885.JPG
    IMG_1885.JPG
    570.8 KB · Views: 99
My two bob's worth on paint.

If you had the correct RAL colour cards you still would not get the right shade as the make up of paint has changed
so much since the 1940's.

I have been spray painting for 30 years and have a pretty good eye for colour matching and very rarely see two paint
companies that use the RAL system come close to making the same colour.

I have painted camo jobs for our armed forces and had to tint the olive drab to match.

I cant see toy soldier companies ordering and checking RAL colours upon arrival and model paint is so inconsistent
from company to company which one is right.

This is not dig at anyone, i just think we are expecting a lot for what we pay.:salute::

Matt

Anecdotal

Very nice models Serge; how do you think they compare with the best 1/30 Polystone/resin models? The photos are excellent in detail. The lighting could be a bit more even.

I must say these plastics models are very well done, alot of details and they even come with more stuff then expected. Check my photos on the back of the Winter tiger I and the photos from the eBay seller.

Well you cant go wrong for the price paid compare to the other TS manufacturers.
Im sure to buy more from this ebay seller. No customs fees very well packaged etc...

I dont like to compare between different manufacturer, every maker has their own style, they are things i do and dont like from all the manufacturers , not one is perfect , they try to do their best and i buy what i like. Im not the guy who is looking at the perfect historical and paint scheme.

If i were like this , i would build my own model kits. Paint them to my liking take the time to make all those research to make sure my model will be perfect. But im not like this and dont have the time to do it.

For one i want to say thank you to all the different manufacturers to make these wonderfull toys , every day i take 5 minutes to enjoy looking at what i have and its a real pleasure to the eye ,perfect or not.

Look at the link and you will see the same Winter tiger I that i bought it not last year but in 2015, lol. Time pass so rapidly.... anyway.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Award-Winn...m570.l1313.TR11.TRC3.A0.H0.Xtiger+i.TRS0.TSS1

I paid 280$usd and i dont regret it at all.

Serge :smile2:

Here are some more.

If you wish i can take more pictures from tthose 2 tanks from Dreamworks from Ebay.
They are all plastics. 1/35 scale and turret from the Winter tank doesnt rotate.

Serge
Very nice thank for sharing the photos

Very nice models Serge; how do you think they compare with the best 1/30 Polystone/resin models? The photos are excellent in detail. The lighting could be a bit more even.

Bet it not as good as The Collectors Showcase king tiger {sm3}

More KTs and a Panther photo from museums in Europe. The first photo is from Munster Panzer Museum. The second photo is from Saumur, the french Tank Museum, this KT is the only running HT of the seven that survive. The third photo is from the D Day Museum in La Gleize in Belgium. The KT was recently repainted. The forth photo is a Panther G at Grandmenil Belgium. The position of the road wheels relative to the sprocket would indicate the Panther burned out and the torsion bars collapsed.

2014_panzermuseum_kingtiger_800.jpgroyaltiger-saumur.jpg3008090117_97f16c5f1e_b.jpg8311439485_44e4789c4b_b.jpg

The photos is of the best KT in my collection to date. Please post a photo of your best KT. I know you have Dragon 1/35 and TCS 1/28 KTs, plus the 1/16 FOV. Which do you consider your best?

P1010633.JPG

Bet it not as good as The Collectors Showcase king tiger {sm3}

Users who are viewing this thread

Back