Paying tribute to our fallen.... (1 Viewer)

You really can be proud!
Really great pictures of the celebrations held all over the UK.
I wish the Germans would have a little more of the British patriotic gene.

Thanks for this link, Rob.

Oliver

Thanks ever so much Oliver, I'm glad you like the link mate.:smile2:
Best
Rob

You really can be proud!
Really great pictures of the celebrations held all over the UK.
I wish the Germans would have a little more of the British patriotic gene.

Thanks for this link, Rob.

Oliver

I was glad to see a German child reading out a pray for peace (in German) at the Royal British Legion festival of remembrance.
Do you not think that the Germans are still a little frightened of being patriotic, in case it is perceived in the wrong way?

Martin

If I can betray my monarchist leanings, seeing the Queen lay a wreath has an impact that a politician doing exactly the same thing cannot quite match. As the Queen is a symbol of continuity and is generally above the day to day machinations of government, there is something quite mythical, pehaps even mystical, about her. It will change when she goes and the soap opera of the young royals takes over but it is good to enjoy it while we still have it.

I was glad to see a German child reading out a pray for peace (in German) at the Royal British Legion festival of remembrance.
Do you not think that the Germans are still a little frightened of being patriotic, in case it is perceived in the wrong way?

Martin

The great thing about this four year Centenary is that it involves all nations who took part in the War remembering the horror that was WW1. So we have docu's and radio programmes giving the German viewpoint as well, this is about paying tribute to all the fallen in that War and paying tribute to all those men lying in silent rows around the world in hundreds of different cemeteries.

If I can betray my monarchist leanings, seeing the Queen lay a wreath has an impact that a politician doing exactly the same thing cannot quite match. As the Queen is a symbol of continuity and is generally above the day to day machinations of government, there is something quite mythical, pehaps even mystical, about her. It will change when she goes and the soap opera of the young royals takes over but it is good to enjoy it while we still have it.

Well said my friend, did I tell you I had monarchist leanings!^&grin:wink2::salute::

Rob

Today is the 11th of the 11th so once again we fall silent and remember.

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back