Peter Cowan's Kingcast Toy Soldiers (3 Viewers)

ucla1967

Major
Peter Cowan produced many sets representing the British Army at home and in campaign, the Boxer Rebellion, World Conflicts, and Indian Army. It is sometimes difficult to catalog his production because he would give two different numbers to the same set. For example, his set A2 is also WC1, A8 is also BX3, K20 is also BI18, P14 is also WC5, etc.

In any case, I thought you might like to see three of his artillery sets in my collection (two more to follow) no matter how confusing it is:

WC1 - Royal Canadian Artillery in Winter Dress with 9PDR Sleigh Gun, 1890

BX3 - Russian Artillery, China, 1900, with Putilow 7.62CM Field Gun

Bx4 - Japanese Field Artillery, China, 1900, with Osaka 77MM Field Gun

The Royal Canadian Artillery was also made as set P10 (WC4) with a six horse galloping gun team with sleigh mounted limber and 9PDR including a mounted officer. Set P14 (WC5) had the gun team at the halt with the crew putting the gun into action.

Attachments

• 100_2338.JPG
    100_2338.JPG
    427.8 KB · Views: 1,457
  • 100_2339.JPG
    100_2339.JPG
    391.7 KB · Views: 1,405
  • 100_2345.JPG
    100_2345.JPG
    378.7 KB · Views: 1,370
  • 100_2346.JPG
    100_2346.JPG
    365.4 KB · Views: 1,357
  • 100_2347.JPG
    100_2347.JPG
    410.8 KB · Views: 1,378
Hi Mike,

I have seen some interesting sets over the years but the sleigh gun is really unique! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Dave

Hi Dave,

This set is not as unique as you may think. I have an example of another manufacturer's version of this piece. Although I thinh the gun is a little better the crew let it down. I can't post a picture at the moment as the gun is with Trooper at the moment. Another manufacturer to have made this piece was Mountord Metal Miniatures Ltd. Their model included the limber and four horse team with a full compliment of figures.

Regards.

Brian.

Hi Mike,

I have seen some interesting sets over the years but the sleigh gun is really unique! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Dave

I wouldn't mind betting that when you fired that thing - the recoil slid it backwards for a while!{eek3}:Djb

You've done it now Brian - next thing you know - someone will want you to make it - or is Trooper still playing with it?

Hi Mike,

Dave

Hi Dave,

I agree with you, it is an unusual subject matter. It is one of my favorite artillery sets not only because of the gun, but also due to the crew's colorful winter uniforms.

Hi Dave,

This set is not as unique as you may think. I have an example of another manufacturer's version of this piece. Although I thinh the gun is a little better the crew let it down. I can't post a picture at the moment as the gun is with Trooper at the moment. Another manufacturer to have made this piece was Mountord Metal Miniatures Ltd. Their model included the limber and four horse team with a full compliment of figures.

Regards.

Brian.

Brian,

Please share the photo with us when you get it back from Trooper. I would love to see, as I am sure others would be, too.

I don't know what year Mountford started in business. However, I do know that Kingcast started in about 1980, so may have been the first to feature this unique set. If you will look at my first post again, you will see that Kingcast also had two versions of this set (P10 and P14) with six horse gun teams and limber.

I have an August 1, 1989, price list from The Command Post in Stoughton, Mass. The set I posted a photo of, WC1, cost $68. Set P10 with the galloping gun team and limber was $350 as was the P14 set with the gun team and limber at the halt. The latter included three men on the horses and five men dismounted plus a mounted officer.

Kingcast is one of my favority manufacturers and Mike thanks for sharing. I have a lot of these sets packed away including 2 Steam Tractors which are beautiful. One set I never got and wish I did was the Balloon set, Jim H. has one in his Museum in the Poconos and the diorama (Kandahar) is just beautiful. I told him if he parts with the dio, I am the man and will be there with tool belt to help disassemble!

Great stuff,
Tom

I think I have the entire Canadian series including a set that has a Polar Bear in it!

I have been chasing after King Cast on EBay for years but I believe I am being outbid by big pockets Tom. I am still looking for the Black Watch 2 elephant gatling gun set.

Kingcast is one of my favority manufacturers and Mike thanks for sharing. I have a lot of these sets packed away including 2 Steam Tractors which are beautiful. One set I never got and wish I did was the Balloon set, Jim H. has one in his Museum in the Poconos and the diorama (Kandahar) is just beautiful. I told him if he parts with the dio, I am the man and will be there with tool belt to help disassemble!

Great stuff,
Tom

I think I have the entire Canadian series including a set that has a Polar Bear in it!

Hi Tom,

I remember that you also were a big Kingcast fan. Your set P13 Fowler Steam Tractor lists for $550 on the 1989 price list. The set P1 Royal Engineers Experimental Balloon Unit with Colonel Templar also lists for $550. Set P3 from the Boer War, in F.S.O., without Col. Templar is the same price. Both balloon sets had add-on sets with Gas Wagon Units for $350 and extra Gas Supply Working Parties for $160. So, all three sets, as either Royal Engineers or from the Boer War, would have set a collector back $1060 twenty-three years ago. That was some serious money back then and still is today.

I would love to see a photo of Jim Hillestat's Kingcast Kandahar diorama plus photos of your other Canadian sets. I am familar with the Louis Riel vs. the Canadian Government sets, WC2 (mounties) and WC3 (Indians), but not a set with a polar bear.

I have been chasing after King Cast on EBay for years but I believe I am being outbid by big pockets Tom. I am still looking for the Black Watch 2 elephant gatling gun set.

Hi Bob,

I suspect that both you and I have been outbid on eBay by Tom Dubel. I have rarely been able to win a Kingcast set there; the few I have won were probably the ones Tom doesn't already have. Well, you probably won't believe this, but I have had that two box Black Watch elephant gatling gun set stored away somewhere for years. That particular set is not listed on the 1989 price list, but another two elephant set, A24 with a packed 30PDR, is listed for $315. I would be willing to sell it. What would you consider a fair price?

Hi John,

Trooper has the sled gun because although I do not intend to make this item at the moment I was reading through the book "The Devil's Paintbrush" when I was making my Pom-Pom model when I came across an order from the Canadian Government for some Maxim Machine Guns on the Cavalry Carriage including sleds. Unfortunately there are no pictures but we are now investigating making this model!

Regards,

Brian.

I wouldn't mind betting that when you fired that thing - the recoil slid it backwards for a while!{eek3}:Djb

You've done it now Brian - next thing you know - someone will want you to make it - or is Trooper still playing with it?

Hi Brian

Don't know about a Canadian machine-gun on a snow sledge - but the Finns and Russians alegedly had some. Below see a Finnish version. You can read a bit more about their Maxims - and this pictured gun on the link. Johnnybach

FinnishMaximonasledgemount.jpg

http://www.mosinnagant.net/finland/finnish_maxims_from_mosin.asp

Hi John,

I'm guessing that the Finnish version is WW2 vintage while the order mentioned in the "Devil's Paintbrush" is 1890's vintage. Mind you I wouldn't mind making the artillery as well.

Brian.

Hi Brian

Don't know about a Canadian machine-gun on a snow sledge - but the Finns and Russians alegedly had some. Below see a Finnish version. You can read a bit more about their Maxims - and this pictured gun on the link. Johnnybach

FinnishMaximonasledgemount.jpg

http://www.mosinnagant.net/finland/finnish_maxims_from_mosin.asp

Although the above it is very interesting, this thread is getting away from what was my original intent, which was the subject of Kingcast Toy Soldiers. So, in that spirit, here are photos of two more Kingcast artillery sets from my collection. The first photo is a different view of the Japanese Boxer Rebellion Field Gun that I posted earlier. Photos two and three are of set WC11, which is not described on the label, but which I believe is the Sierra Leone Frontier Force. Photos four and five are of set EG2, which is also not described on the label, but is clearly Egyptain Artillery.

BX4 - Japanese Field Artillery, China, 1900, with Osaka 77mm Field Gun

WC11 - Sierra Leone Field Force, 1901, with Vickers 2.95 inch Mountain Gun

EG2 - Egyptain Artillery

The WC11 set has a companion set which is WC6 where the Sierra Leone Frontier Force has the gun in four loads slung from bamboo poles. The EG2 Egyptain Artillery set also has a companion set which is EG1 where the broken-down gun is loaded on three camels with three handlers.

Attachments

• 100_2348.JPG
    100_2348.JPG
    378.3 KB · Views: 316
  • 100_2349.JPG
    100_2349.JPG
    433.3 KB · Views: 332
  • 100_2350.JPG
    100_2350.JPG
    389.7 KB · Views: 335
  • 100_2351.JPG
    100_2351.JPG
    501.6 KB · Views: 326
  • 100_2352.JPG
    100_2352.JPG
    442.4 KB · Views: 340
Although it is a little difficult to see, here is a photo of another Kingcast artillery set on display. It is set A3 (aka BI1) Hyderabad Artillery with 5.4 inch Howitzer, 1897. The other Kingcast set in the photo, to their left, is set BX11 (aka K27 or BI122) 1st Sikh Infantry, China, 1900, Heliograph Signallers & Equipment Mule.

Attachments

• 100_2264.JPG
    100_2264.JPG
    495.5 KB · Views: 424
This is a set previously mentioned above. It is Kingcast's set BI 124 Black Watch with Elephants and Gatling Gun which came in two boxes. I really like this set; it kind of reminds me of Gunga Din. Note the new label which is more modern and less complex than the previous labels. I think there have been at least three different Kingcast labels; I prefer the older ones to this one.

Attachments

• 100_2393.JPG
    100_2393.JPG
    471.1 KB · Views: 289
  • 100_2395.JPG
    100_2395.JPG
    403.3 KB · Views: 502
  • 100_2399.JPG
    100_2399.JPG
    463.8 KB · Views: 393
  • 100_2394.JPG
    100_2394.JPG
    388.5 KB · Views: 272
  • 100_2396.JPG
    100_2396.JPG
    452.7 KB · Views: 304

Great stuff,
Tom

There is a balloon set on ebay now

Hi Bob,

I suspect that both you and I have been outbid on eBay by Tom Dubel. I have rarely been able to win a Kingcast set there; the few I have won were probably the ones Tom doesn't already have. Well, you probably won't believe this, but I have had that two box Black Watch elephant gatling gun set stored away somewhere for years. That particular set is not listed on the 1989 price list, but another two elephant set, A24 with a packed 30PDR, is listed for $315. I would be willing to sell it. What would you consider a fair price?

Will get back to you this week with PM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back