Peter Jackson and World War I (1 Viewer)

I saw it as well and it was a joy to watch. The most gratifying thing that I took out of this was that my son who is 15 and my two nephews who are 13 & 14 seemed to really enjoy it. Albeit I did take them to the 3D version. It's good to see 3 young men deeply enthralled in history.

I agree with Brad and Gary. If your going to see this you must stick around for the last 30 mins or so after the credits. Fascinating stuff.

Anyone else get the vibe of Vietnam as to the welcome the soldiers got upon their return?

Like everyone else said it was well done. The colorizing was amazing to see. I saw the 3d version as well and I have to say it worked very well. It gave depth to films we have all caught bits and pieces of the years.

I also stayed till to watch the end of credit descriptions and thought I had already caught it on youtube. Glad I stayed, cause it was way more in depth descriptions of the process.

I really like how he did the artillery. I've been to that range in New Zealand before where he got his sound bites of the guns firing.

Brendan

That’s one of his examples to detail. Another, which blew me away, was how they found the orders the officer was reading. Another example was how they slowed the film down. WWI film was shot at different speeds than today. They managed to get every film down to the correct speed.

Anyone who is in interested in WWI has to see this. In our area that may be difficult; the December 27 shows are already sold out. The article in the New York Times this weekend may have helped.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/16/movies/peter-jackson-war-movie.html

I just saw this and to see it’s amazing is an understatement. The essence of the film is life in the trenches and surviving bombardments and that seems as real as you can get. Apologies to those who actually have been in war. The actual fighting scenes were more generic because it was hard for a cameraman to follow the soldiers into action. What makes this amazing is the 3D effect and the colorization. After the movie was over Peter Jackson talked about how he made the movie and that was more amazing still. For example, he had people lip read what some of the soldiers were saying and then when they figured out where that battalion was from, he’d have people from that area read the lines. His attention to detail was outstanding. Amazing film.

Cheers Brad, great post mate, Peter Jackson is passionate about WW1 and the extent of the time and work that has gone into the Doco is truly amazing.

He's largely footed the bill too and invested heavily in the project from his own pocket.

Its easy to forget that without his interest this doco wouldn't have got off the ground.

Great to hear members are enjoying his work!

Toddy, it was quite apparent his fascination with WWI. He has some 200 odd uniforms, which he showed at the end of the film. He also used illustrations in the movie from a WWI magazine called War Illustrated and he said he had the full set; around 300 + I think. I also believe he owned some artillery pieces.

This is a movie I encourage everyone to see, even if you're not interested in WWI.

Hopefully, Warner Brothers will add a few more theatre showings. I sent an email to the distributor but they said it was up to WB.

I saw it with four friends two nights ago. It was amazing. Humbling. We stayed afterwards to see the 30 minute presentation on how they restored and colorized the photos and made the movie. Watching him take a portion of film so dark it looked black, then restore it to a crystal clear image of female factory workers, or an 8 inch howitzer in action, was amazing. Peter Jackson's personal family story of his grandfather, who served from 1910 through 1919, had to be carried upstairs by his 10 year old son due to his many wounds, and sadly passed at only 50 years old, made me finally understand why my own grandfather never even mentioned his WWI service. The horrors those men saw, smelled and experienced are beyond anything any of us can comprehend. It was extremely poignant when Peter Jackson showed the image of the young soldiers in the sunken road preparing to go over the top in the first wave of the Battle of the Somme, and pointed out that this film was taken in the last 30 minutes of virtually all of their lives. They should make every military officer and cadet watch that film.

Toddy, it was quite apparent his fascination with WWI. He has some 200 odd uniforms, which he showed at the end of the film. He also used illustrations in the movie from a WWI magazine called War Illustrated and he said he had the full set; around 300 + I think. I also believe he owned some artillery pieces.

This is a movie I encourage everyone to see, even if you're not interested in WWI.

Hopefully, Warner Brothers will add a few more theatre showings. I sent an email to the distributor but they said it was up to WB.

And I thought my collection of about 20 WWI Uniform Tunics and Caps was exciting . . . although after seeing the films and went right on line and bought a British Officer's Khaki Tunic and Sam Browne belt:

Attachments

• British Officer's WWI Sam Browne Belt 3.jpg
    British Officer's WWI Sam Browne Belt 3.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 157
  • British Officer's WWI Sam Browne Belt 4.jpg
    British Officer's WWI Sam Browne Belt 4.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 154
  • British Officer's WWI Tunic 2 (2).jpg
    British Officer's WWI Tunic 2 (2).jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 164
Missed out as all the local theaters were sold out......very disappointed!
I wonder if they will re-release or offer on DVD as apparently it was very well received.
Any "bootlegs" around?

I would be shocked if they don't release a DVD, there is to much money to recover.

I'm seeing it a second time and taking my son Alec tomorrow afternoon. I know at 13 he's a little young, but I didn't want him to miss the experience.

I wanted to take my son to see it but around here all the performances are sold out.

Missed out as all the local theaters were sold out......very disappointed!
I wonder if they will re-release or offer on DVD as apparently it was very well received.
Any "bootlegs" around?

I've seen it on blue ray via a friend ( official release ) so it wont be long before its available to the general public .

Just got back from seeing the movie a second time, this time with my son Alec. He was really shocked by the horrors depicted, and I hope he learned some important lessons about the realities of war. The second viewing was just as impressive and humbling as the first for me. What those young men endured for their country was beyond anything I can even comprehend. I will certainly purchase the film on DVD or Blueray.

I saw this yesterday myself and I found it to be one of the best documentaries I have ever seen. Nothing to add that hasn't already been said. I highly recommend it.

Darrell

There is supposed to be a second showing in the US. January 11 in 3 cities and February in at least 25 other markets. It is brilliant work. I would like to see the 3D version. All that was a available yesterday were tickets for a late standard showing.

There is supposed to be a second showing in the US. January 11 in 3 cities and February in at least 25 other markets. It is brilliant work. I would like to see the 3D version. All that was a available yesterday were tickets for a late standard showing.

The 3D version is amazing; it gives you a depth of field that you’ve never seen before in a film like this.

I just heard that the limited release was so successful they are going to do a full release starting January 11th. I will see it a third time, this time in 3D!^&cool^&cool^&cool^&cool^&cool

Users who are viewing this thread

Back