Photos from K&C's Hong Kong office and store (1 Viewer)

Steven Chong said:
Louis can confirm, but I do not think a Pak 40 was done in the AK line. Like the EA sets painted for the European theater, Andy was probably trying different paint schemes on existing castings.:)

Thanks Steven

Great pictures Steven and thanks for posting.I didn't see any armed guards watching over those precious curio's. Were you searched on the way out?

Steven is right, there was no regularly produced Afrika Corps version of the PAK 40 anti tank gun set. I also noticed one of the Waffen SS (WS11 or 12?) ambush or attack sets done in Afrika Corps in the photo. This is not unusual for Andy. I have a photograph he sent me of the same diorama, but with RAF groundcrew figures repainted as Long Range Desert Group mechanics working on a Chevy 30 CWT Truck, and a wood shell damaged 8th Army Sherman. Andy, having the inclination and the master painters available, often does what he refers to as "one offs" of production figures painted in the uniforms of different units. Back in the day he did it to maximize his returns on a casting, now he does it to amuse himself. I later commissioned him to make me a "one off" of the wood shell damaged 8th Army Sherman from the photograph.

I also have a "one off" short barreled Panver IV and commander repainted as an Afrika Corps tank. He did it as the background in a flyer for the standing Rommel figure's release. I asked him to make me one, and he sold me the one he had already made for the then unheard of price of $350 for a polystone figure. I bit my tongue to keep from cursing at him, but I really wanted it, so I bought it, thinking I was being ripped off. I, of course, saved all the paperwork proving the provenance of the vehicle. Now I never question Andy when he offers me a "one off" or a prototype, because I know now what he knew then, its only going to increase in value.

The entire early release of the Afrika Corps, along with the "one off" AK short barreled Panzer IV and the shell damaged 8th Army Sherman will be on display at the Symposium on the original Afrika Corps diorama from the 1997 Flyer.

Last edited:
Fullyautomatic said:
Great pictures Steven and thanks for posting.I didn't see any armed guards watching over those precious curio's. Were you searched on the way out?
You may have noticed Andy's brother, Gordon, in some of my photos -- he stood next to me as I took photos.:D

Here are photos of K&C's store in Pacific Place Mall.:D

k&c store 002a.jpg

The display cabinet has Streets of Old Hong Kong, new Imperial China, Ancient Egypt, and Fields of Battle.

k&c store 001a.jpg

The display cabinet has WWII and Napoleonics.

img_0265a.jpg

Close-up of the upper wall as you enter the shop.

img_0266a.jpg.jpg

One of K&C's long time employees, Dely (hope I'm spelling her name right). Some of you may remember her at the Chicago Show prior to 2000. Napoleonics in the counter display.

img_0267a.jpg

Streets of Old Hong Kong diorama in the store.

More photos from K&C's store in Pacific Mall.:D

img_0268a.jpg

Another view of the Streets of Old Hong Kong diorama.

img_0269a.jpg

Display cabinet with LAH, War of Independence, Special Forces, Romans and Ceremonial.

img_0272a.jpg

Display cabinet in store with WWII stuff.

img_0273a.jpg

Close-up of Imperial China display from outside store. Unfortunately, my autofocus had problems with the plate glass.

img_0274a.jpg

Close-up of Napoleonic display from outside store.

Well thats just terrific! Andy C. what a beautiful store! and Steven thanks

for sharing the wonderful photos with us. When I do my new den I am going

to "Borrow" Andy C's wonderful use of Brick & Wood he really has made a

remarkable shop. Steven I can only imagine the delays you experience coming

back through customs with your goodies.

A number of years ago I brought several thousand dollars worth of Marklin

Trains home from Munich. Coming in wasn't to bad, leaving Germany now that

was quite a problem!

Njja:eek:

Two questions. The store sign in the window reads to the best I can make out "King & Country original toy soldiers est 1745." :confused: My other question is in regards to the diving plane. Is it a 21st Century Snake Stuka or an original K&C wooden plane?

Hard to say about that plane but hanging it like that wouldn't be good for a mahogany plane unless it's hung in such a way that there is no stress on the wood. After a while it may crack otherwise.

King & Country's emblem indicates it was "Est. 1898". We all know that it a bit of a stretch, as it was in fact established 1984. I don't think that Stuka is a K&C wood Stuka, the scale looks wrong to me. Andy did produce two Stukas, one in Afrika Corps markings, one in Eastern Front winter white (I think it was in Rudell's markings) both of which will be on display at the Symposium. Andy still has quite a few of his wood warbirds, but, alas, not for sale any longer. From my recollection, he has three B25 Mitchells, and 2 P38 Lightnings. He probably has others, but good luck getting him to part with them, so far I haven't been able to.

Louis Badolato said:
Andy still has quite a few of his wood warbirds, but, alas, not for sale any longer. From my recollection, he has three B25 Mitchells, and 2 P38 Lightnings. He probably has others, but good luck getting him to part with them, so far I haven't been able to.

I think Louis and I need to make a trip to Hong Kong. We'll "make him an offer he can't refuse.";)

Louis Badolato said:
King & Country's emblem indicates it was "Est. 1898" ...
The sign also displays "Streets of Old Hong Kong." This theme represents Hong Kong circa 1898, thus the marketing slogan "Est. 1898." In addition, the Stuka in the shop is not one of K&C's Wooden Warbirds since it is much larger -- I never asked but I think it is the 1/18 scale 21st Century Stuka.:)

Steven Chong said:
The sign also displays "Streets of Old Hong Kong." This theme represents Hong Kong circa 1898, thus the marketing slogan "Est. 1898." In addition, the Stuka in the shop is not one of K&C's Wooden Warbirds since it is much larger -- I never asked but I think it is the 1/18 scale 21st Century Stuka.:)

Did the "Estd. 1898" not arise from the Crown Colony being founded in that year on a 99 year lease? I thought the reference on the boxes and in the marketing material was to Hong Kong and not K&C. :confused:

CannonFodder1971 said:
Did the "Estd. 1898" not arise from the Crown Colony being founded in that year on a 99 year lease? I thought the reference on the boxes and in the marketing material was to Hong Kong and not K&C. :confused:
Actually, the Crown Colony of Hong Kong on Hong Kong island was established in 1842 following the First Opium War. Kowloon peninsula was added in 1860 following the Second Opium War. The New Territories were added in 1898 on a 99 year lease. When talks about the future of Hong Kong began in 1982, China refused to recognise the unequal treaties under which Hong Kong Island and Kowloon had been ceded to Britain in perpetuity. Ultimately, Britian decided to cede all of Hong Kong back to China. I think the reference of "Est. 1898" is both to this important date in Hong Kong history and the time period of the Streets of Old Hong Kong line.:)

Last edited:
Njja said:
...Steven I can only imagine the delays you experience coming back through customs with your goodies ...
Dear John,
I have not had a problem with customs or experienced any delays, either in Hong Kong or in the U.S. (knock on wood). I usually carry an inexpensive metal figure in die-cut foam like a Britains which is easy to take out and show security or customs what I am carrying.:)

Steve:

Thats a great idea!, and thanks again for the great photos they make

wonderful screen savers!

Njja

As I ran out of time, I started taking pictures of whole cabinets without opening the doors.:eek: No more pictures until after the West Coaster.:)

img_0253a.jpg

Streets of Old Hong Kong, Ancient Egypt, and War of Independence

img_0254a.jpg

Besides K&C's Imperial China and Ancient Egypt, there are figures and vehicles from other manufacturers (Dragon, East of India?, Trophy?, etc.) including some boxing (the sport) figures.

img_0255a.jpg

Oddities (as named by Louis), Del Prado Warriors, Arnhem, and Del Prado Napoleonics.

img_0256a.jpg

Another blurry photo but this cabinet contains Rough Riders, Ceremonial, Dickens, Imperial China, IWJ, early DD, ACW, WS, AK and some tanks with unique paint schemes.

Steven, thank you again for all the great pictures you have posted and I admire your restraint and resistance to temptation. I think if it was me, I'd be in a Hong Kong jail right now trying to explain all those toy soldiers in my pockets.:D

Fred

Steven,

After reviewing the pictures you have been posting, I thought you had been in my home photographing my curio cabinets. Well, IN MY DREAMS, that is.

Thanks for sharing such wonderful pictures!

Warmest personal regards,

Pat

Users who are viewing this thread

Back