Prices (1 Viewer)

WWii addict

Private 2
I'm new to the forum, I just want to ask a question that's been really bothering me. I've been collecting for about 3 years, which I've spent a good part of my money. When I first started to collect minatures the prices for two people would be $50 only to be increased to $74 in 3 short, but wonderful years. My question is why did the price increase in 3 years? I'm just a freshman at high school, my wallet is having a diffcult time keeping up against these ever so increasing prices.:(

I'm new to the forum, I just want to ask a question that's been really bothering me. I've been collecting for about 3 years, which I've spent a good part of my money. When I first started to collect minatures the prices for two people would be $50 only to be increased to $74 in 3 short, but wonderful years. My question is why did the price increase in 3 years? I'm just a freshman at high school, my wallet is having a diffcult time keeping up against these ever so increasing prices.:(

There have been several threads on this forum discussing it, but the short answer is the very rapidly rising wages and cost of materials in China where most of the models are made, and the decline of the US dollar has added to the increase.

Terry

There have been several threads on this forum discussing it, but the short answer is the very rapidly rising wages and cost of materials in China where most of the models are made, and the decline of the US dollar has added to the increase.

Terry

IMO they will continue to increase ( hopefully not as fast as they have over the last year or so ) .

Dear "WWii addict":

Alas, I have to agree 100% with the first member who made a reply back to you on your initial posting or Thread. I did not want to entirely believe what my local toy soldier dealer said to me a year or so ago when I had the same question that you had about prices. I can remember in about the year 2000 the price for a foot figure at K&C was about $19.00 each. By 2007 it was up to $25.00 per foot figure. Now it is up to $32 to $35 per foot figure. Soon after I had the "K&C price discussion" with my local dealer I saw an article in the Business section of our local newspaper that noted the same things he was telling me. Namely, ever higher labor prices, especially for skilled labor and also higher costs for metal in China. Sorry, but you will have to make the best of it.

Good luck, "Iron Brigade"

If your in High School, all you need to do is look to the news and your economics classes, A while back the US Government decided to just Print an extra $600 billion dollars above and beyond what it normally prints. The real reason for price hikes and sky rocketing costs is the devaluation of the american dollar to help pay for the spending levels today. From oil to cotton to gold to Toy Soldiers, the money is just not worth as much and the world is adjusting prices accordingly. Today the dollar reached a 3 year low against the Euro and is on a steady decline that shows no signs of abating, it will get worse and prices are going to continue to rise, economics 101

Hi WWII Addict,
I agree with the previous comments. Given that you should check out the Del Prado Men at War series, the price is great and the quality is generally good. Some of the figures, such as Del MW 49, 60 and 61, are similar in quality to KC. If Treefrogtreasures does not sell them check michigan toy soldiers and EBAY and EBAY.co.uk.
Good luck,
Benjamin

I think a lot of people are having problems with the prices of K&C unfortunately.
I am going to get the new RAF bowser despite the price as I need it for my airfield dio but that will be at the expense of other things.
Now is the time to really only buy what you really cant do without.
Thank goodness my collection dates back 6 years when prices were reasonable.

I guess we all will have to do selective buying & no temptations like
before buy everything we liked. Cheers to inflation.

AE018 sphinx pair bidding for $450 up on bay. Wow.
What was the original price remember.

We all understand that prices will rise as a result of increased expenses, however I seriously doubt that the amount and rate of increases in K/C products is proportionate...however...no way for us to measure or monitor it......All products have a price limit for consumers...I definitely will be purchasing less....I'm not about to break the bank or mortage the house to keep manufacturers profits rising

I suggest you narrow your focus to i or 2 ranges or only certain types of AFVs. It's very difficult to collect a wide range of models today.

Terry

Just as a comparison: the new Priest and two add-on figures will run the collector $300.00, that's for a total of one vehicle and three figures. I have a KC Howitzer Sherman with three partial and complete crewman (DD045), the second version Normandy Stuart with three partial and complete crewmen (DD067), and the US ambulance jeep with three complete figures (DD068), a total of three vehicles and nine complete or partial crewmen. The three sets combined cost $273.00, new, less than the new Priest and add-on crew by about $27.00. Older sets they may be, but a prime example of why the price increases in such a relatively short time have stopped my collecting many different lines and forced me to focus on just one subject. A loss for all makers but one. I'm know I'm not alone in scaling back. -- Al

Could be worse ... First SOHK figure to be released for ages in the latest despatches.
HK193
Name: God of Longevity
Desc.: A sturdy, robust figure… this little figure is full of character, colour and sure to be popular.
Price: US$55.00

Yep, $55 for a single figure. Don't want to start a debate about whether the price is justified or not but that makes a $32 or $35 price tag for a figure look pretty good to me.

Could be worse ... First SOHK figure to be released for ages in the latest despatches.
HK193
Name: God of Longevity
Desc.: A sturdy, robust figure… this little figure is full of character, colour and sure to be popular.
Price: US$55.00

Yep, $55 for a single figure. Don't want to start a debate about whether the price is justified or not but that makes a $32 or $35 price tag for a figure look pretty good to me.

Yes, it is death by a thousand cuts. An industry wide problem. -- Al

I agree with the earlier post - look at just one or two ranges and buy just the minimum of "gotta have" items. Focus on your schooling, get well trained, develop a strong work ethic, develop yourself into a decent person. Then you will be in a position to afford "good" toy soldiers". In two weeks I will be 60 but I am notorious for living "back in the old days". I can remember when I had a dozen Roco mintank vehicles on displayand a few other models that were "decent" enough for display. The collection was small enough that each addition was a treasure to be appreciated. There was also some room in my parents' basement where I could set out some displays. Now I have litterally a hundred model tanks that are waiting to be assembled, and the delay is that I don't have space to display them. I have boxes and boxes of K&C and others and each new item is appreciated, but I can't say it's treasured as much as when I was young.

So perhaps the high prices are strangely good for you. Get your education, build yourself into a good person. There is time to gather the miniature armies as you go along. Besides, by the time you get a good job many of us will be dying off and our frustrated wives will be selling K&C collectibles cheap just to get those "toys" out of the house :)

Gary B.

I feel like most of you ......and i know this has been talked about before ....but i find it harder and harder to keep my collection going ....I have droped most if not all of my WW2 German Collection and stayed with RAF.. Egyptians some British WW2.....even the new RAF Browser is going to cost me over $300.00 with shipping and taxes .....I can only guess what is going to happen in the next 5 years from now ......^&grin^&grin

What I find upsetting, is that in some cases, it has become cheaper to get the older collectable figure on the speculative resale market than it is to buy the new replacement model.

Terry

I feel like most of you ......and i know this has been talked about before ....but i find it harder and harder to keep my collection going ....I have droped most if not all of my WW2 German Collection and stayed with RAF.. Egyptians some British WW2.....even the new RAF Browser is going to cost me over $300.00 with shipping and taxes .....I can only guess what is going to happen in the next 5 years from now ......^&grin^&grin

I don't think it is hard to see what is going to happen now that last year's golden age of collecting has ended. There will be fewer collectors in the USA - maybe more collectors in Asia. There will be fewer manufacturers, fewer ranges actively produced, and fewer new releases. Quality and detail will go up and the materials used to make models will morph from polystone to metals and resins.

Most peoples collections will shrink to the models that can truly be appreciated and displayed. Collectors will be able to answer the question "How many Tigers does one need" I suspect the answer will be one or two and not 10 anymore.

Terry

What I find upsetting, is that in some cases, it has become cheaper to get the older collectable figure on the speculative resale market than it is to buy the new replacement model.

Terry

Interesting isn't it ^&grin

Though I disagree about the "Golden Age" issue- I dunno- even piggybacking off what Gary just said. I find myself more often these past few months going down to my basement where my armies are deployed and just looking at everything and smiling. I am really happy with my collection- happier than I have been in several years. Maybe it took my house fire to realize how good I got it but my collection just kicks butt and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I still find myself making cannon/.artillery noises and barking orders in all sorts of various languages with my guys. To me, enjoying what I got has really personified the Golden Age of Toy Soldiers. The enjoyment is more "golden" than the constant "what do I get next" phase of the hobby. I do find myself treasuring everything more these days,

Best regards
CC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back