Prince Harry in Afghanistan (1 Viewer)

damian

1st Lieutenant
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7270324.stm
I must say I think that it is good on Harry to have gone to Afghanistan. He always wanted to be in the army and must have been gutted after not being allowed to go to Iraq. If you go thorugh Sandhurst and all that you want to command a platoon on the ground in the real thing.
Just a pity the media ruined it by exposing things before his tour of duty was up. I am amazed the British media were so good about things. It was apparently an Australian media group that leaked things.
Regards
Damian

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7270324.stm
I must say I think that it is good on Harry to have gone to Afghanistan. He always wanted to be in the army and must have been gutted after not being allowed to go to Iraq. If you go thorugh Sandhurst and all that you want to command a platoon on the ground in the real thing.
Just a pity the media ruined it by exposing things before his tour of duty was up. I am amazed the British media were so good about things. It was apparently an Australian media group that leaked things.
Regards
Damian

What.....???? You're joking damian, surely..??
I can't believe that any media group would be so irresponsible.
Mind you, I've just read your post again - very carefully this time. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Regards
H

Yep someone just had to spill the beans didn't they.And so now he's got to come home,nice one.:rolleyes:

Rob

That was news to me. Good on him!

Yes it was good he did his bit.You can imagine the frustration of having trained with his men being told you arn't going with them!

There was film of him opening fire with a heavy machine gun.I was wondering if he hit and killed anyone he would be the first Royal in a very long time to actually kill someone?.I guess you'd have to go way back in our History to find a King who led his forces into battle and fought with them.(yes i know he's only a prince but you get my drift)

Rob

He takes after his namesake Henry V. Also know as the warlike Harry
Regards
Damian

Yes it was good he did his bit.You can imagine the frustration of having trained with his men being told you arn't going with them!

There was film of him opening fire with a heavy machine gun.I was wondering if he hit and killed anyone he would be the first Royal in a very long time to actually kill someone?.I guess you'd have to go way back in our History to find a King who led his forces into battle and fought with them.(yes i know he's only a prince but you get my drift)

Rob

I believe it was Richard 3rd in 1485 at the battle of Bosworth who was the last English King to lead his troops into battle - a best of British type chap with a club foot, hunched back and a penchant for knocking off children who were the next in line to the English throne. Of course this version of him depends on which of Shakespeares tabloids you believe!

I believe it was Richard 3rd in 1485 at the battle of Bosworth who was the last English King to lead his troops into battle - a best of British type chap with a club foot, hunched back and a penchant for knocking off children who were the next in line to the English throne. Of course this version of him depends on which of Shakespeares tabloids you believe!

:D

Thank you RD,i wondered who it was.I knew it was either him or Queenie from Blackadder;).Oh hang on,she didn't kill anyone in battle but she did have 'The Stomach of a concrete Elephant'!:D

Rob

Sorry but the last British sovereign to command troops on the battlefield was George II. In 1743, at age 60, his men defeated the French at the Battle of Dettingen in Germany.

Jeff

Sorry but the last British sovereign to command troops on the battlefield was George II. In 1743, at age 60, his men defeated the French at the Battle of Dettingen in Germany.

Jeff

Yes Jeff - sorry you are right - I meant to say Richard 3rd was the last English king to lead his troops into battle AND then be killed on that battlefield! However in all the excitement I forgot that crucial nugget of information!
By the way George 2 was a sausage eating German so does he qualify?

Yes Jeff - sorry you are right - I meant to say Richard 3rd was the last English king to lead his troops into battle AND then be killed on that battlefield! However in all the excitement I forgot that crucial nugget of information!
By the way George 2 was a sausage eating German so does he qualify?

Fraid so! :D As you say Richard III was the last English king to die in battle. His death ended the War of the Roses and led to the rise of the Tudor dynasty in England. Didn't one of the BlackAdder series have a reference to this?

Jeff

I've even tried Swordfish. It was beautiful.
Cheers
H

Singapore033.jpg

Does that mean you gave in and took the plunge into warbirds? And if so, how did your lovely Lotus Blossum handle it?

Fortunately for my prospects of maintaining celestial domestic harmony, I resisted the temptation. It wasn't easy though, and I do now appreciate exactly why fans of K&C's Warbirds are so enthusiastic about them.
For me, if I were to take the plunge it would be a Swordfish (if I could get one and have enough cash - at the same time), or it would be a future release of a Gloster Gladiator. I love those early WWII aircraft, just as I have a soft spot for early WWII Armoured Vehicles.
Actually, a Fairey Battle would be a good future subject. Abysmal as the actual aircraft was, imagine the courage and devotion to duty it must have taken to take to the skies in one of those deathtraps during the Fall of France.
Cheers
H

I have a K&C Gloster Gladiator that was produced in around 1997. Those coming to the Symposium will be seeing a one of a kind K&C De Haviland Demon produced in 2007. I also love the inter-war era and early war RAF aircraft. I also have a De Haviland Tiger Moth (1993), a Bristol Bulldog (1994) and a Boeing Stearman (1994) from this era.

What's wrong with eating German Sausages Mike?
I've tried all sorts of strange stuff from different Continents. Didn't like Ostrich though. Too stringy.
Anyone else tried something strange from a strange place?
Cheers
H

Yeah i had a Mcdonalds in Mexico once,truly revolting.

I also had Alligator in Florida,teach me to bed down in the everglades!!!:eek:

Rob

Yeah i had a Mcdonalds in Mexico once,truly revolting.

I also had Alligator in Florida,teach me to bed down in the everglades!!!:eek:

Rob

Yeah, alligator tail - sort of fishy chicken - kind of.
Never tried Dingo though. ;)
Cheers
H

Being a part time Army officer myself, I think it is fantastic that Harry found a way to deploy overseas after the initial disappointment. Scanning the media photos of his return, I am struck by the hair in particular. Rock star regs from the looks of it...wish I could get away with that. Also got a kick out of Wm. carrying his probably smelly kit bag. Anyway, kudos to him.

MD

Being a part time Army officer myself, I think it is fantastic that Harry found a way to deploy overseas after the initial disappointment. Scanning the media photos of his return, I am struck by the hair in particular. Rock star regs from the looks of it...wish I could get away with that. Also got a kick out of Wm. carrying his probably smelly kit bag. Anyway, kudos to him.

MD

Yeah kudos to him.
Its a real shame that the A********n media couldn't wait to broadcast where he was though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back