Questionable quality (1 Viewer)

There has been a rather large release in late November/early December; Agincourt figures, Napoleonic Imperial Guard figures, the two versions of the Pershing, some marching LAH figures and a boatload of US Airborne including the glider tail section........

Are these items delivered to the dealers ?
My German dealer has on his website TODAY written, that he will have these items available probably in 20 days.

Is this now the regular TCS way to post upcomings and not to have them available for 3 or more months ??

Are these items delivered to the dealers ?
My German dealer has on his website TODAY written, that he will have these items available probably in 20 days.

Is this now the regular TCS way to post upcomings and not to have them available for 3 or more months ??

Yes, my stock arrived over a month ago, as did the stock of all the other US dealers. I can't speak for the European dealers, maybe their stock is send surface to reduce the shipping costs, I am not sure, I'd suggest you contact your supplier directly.

For the record I'm happy to pay more for quality.

Me too to a point.I can get a one off or a vignette and pay for them once in a while.What I can't afford is to collect a large range and pay $50-$70 a figure.
Mark

Last edited:
View attachment 142167

Perhaps my initial post was a bit harsh. However - looking at these two figures you can see the detailing is not as sharp on the Lehr figure

By the photos the figures look ok to me...Just the pants camo could be more detailed,that' s true, but the sculpt is fine and the painting also in my opinion

Me too to a point.I can get a one off or a vignette and pay for them once in a while.What I can't afford is to collect a large range and pay $50-$70 a figure.
Mark

I agree Mark...It seems to me that other 1:28th scale manufacturers have also had a tremendous drop in quality of their TS figures:rolleyes2: and yet their prices have been on a steady rise with the same old excuse of rising production costs:rolleyes2:.....Nonsense......$50 per figure for this level of detail is not acceptable.....at least not for me... I have a few CS German WWII Figures "jumping off the tank" with long winter coats....They are very well done (excellent) and were priced fairly:salute::.....The main reason I don't collect more CS is the scale of the figures at 1:28th but at least they go well with the new CS AFV's which are 1:28th and also reasonably priced.....At least CS is making compatible scales for their AFV's and their WWII figures....Rather then the old guard method of 1:28th scale figures with 1:30th scale AFV's....As far as the other end of the spectrum if you desire a large collection, $70 per figure is also getting out of hand as well and becomming cost prohibitive...Naturally, LESS will be purchased....I think many of us would be surprised at what the profit margins are for TS manufacturers....You can only sqeeze a customer so far in either direction...Although the CS WWII figure on the left is a little better, it seems to me that at least Brian and CS are aware of trying to maintain/control price and balance the quality for his customer base....CS prices seem to be acceptible and the quality is pretty good....Well done CS.:salute::

Last edited:
I think many of us would be surprised at what the profit margins are for TS manufacturers

I heartily agree with this statement! The assumption is that manufacturers are rolling in profits at the expense of the poor collector. By the time you factor in research, sculpting, molds, casting, painting, packaging, shipping, storing, damage replacement, promotion & advertising, & staff to handle customer service you will find there isn't as much profit per item as many expect! It's easy to obsess about one small part of the costs (i.e. painting or casting) and assume that it tells the whole story.

Some manufacturers are able to keep overhead very low and pass on that savings. Those same manufacturers do not have the capacity to put out a large number of releases. There is give and take in everything.

I heartily agree with this statement! The assumption is that manufacturers are rolling in profits at the expense of the poor collector. By the time you factor in research, sculpting, molds, casting, painting, packaging, shipping, storing, damage replacement, promotion & advertising, & staff to handle customer service you will find there isn't as much profit per item as many expect! It's easy to obsess about one small part of the costs (i.e. painting or casting) and assume that it tells the whole story.

Some manufacturers are able to keep overhead very low and pass on that savings. Those same manufacturers do not have the capacity to put out a large number of releases. There is give and take in everything.

Overhead is a major expense for any business as I'm sure Shannon and Pete can tell you.

Brad

Even if the manufacturers price rises are legit and I believe 90% of what they say are true most people just can't pay those prices for a figure.It's psychological also as I didn't mind paying $66 for 3 figures or even 2 but for one it has to be a special piece and as far as cavalry forget it.Thank god I never collected WWII.
Mark

Well its the same old story:rolleyes2:....I will agree only about one thing and only ONE THING... yes there is give and take in EVERYTHING and that includes toy soldier prices.....The "Poor Collector" will vote the issue with their wallets.

Last edited:
I think that's what I said earlier and I think most TS makers have said at one time or another that if you want quality you will pay more,if you want cheaper prices then there will be sacrifices weather it be sculpting,painting,metal,resin,or plastic.You get what you pay for,especially in these times.Some go one route some take another.
Mark

Agreed! You still get good value with them.. So, has anybody done any price comparisons lately?

Carlos

I am not sure that research can be used as an expenditure for some Toy soldier manufacturers!!! LOL
Mitch

I think TCS's quality issues are transitory and due to production relocation to the USA from China. I collect primarily WW II Armor. I rank TCS third behind First Legion and Figarti in quality. I rank TCS first in innovation in the 1/30 scale AFV's. TCS introduced opening hatches, damaged tracks, interchangeable damaged turrets and attempts to correct the figure/vehicle scale issue. The Jagdpanther, Hetzer, Stug III, first Tiger I and most recently the Pershing are outstanding vehicles that compare favorably with any other manufacturers products and exceed most in quality, accuracy and detail. The figures are also generally excellent IMHO. Every manufacturer hits a bad patch where a product falls below expectations. The good manufacturer corrects the problem; exchanges or refunds products with unhappy customers and plows ahead with the next project. TCS has demonstrated many times in this forum a willingness to resolve problems. I do not see a negative trend with TCS products. The Pershing; the latest AFV release is very well done in terms of quality, accuracy and level of detail and compares favorably with any current AFV release by any manufacturer IMHO. I have examples of AFV's in 1/30 60MM scale from Honor Bound, Figarti and TCS and consider the quality, accuracy and detail equivalent; however the display flexibility of TSC because of innovative features exceeds all other 1/30 scale manufacturers.

I am not sure that research can be used as an expenditure for some Toy soldier manufacturers!!! LOL
Mitch

I am a retired Design Engineer and can state from experience that product research is a complex issue involving materials selection, process control, and package design; so the product arrives intact! Materials compatability; so the paint does not flake off over time.Product research is a front end cost and extends beyond copying a pre-existing design like a Tiger I. Every manufacturer makes mistakes and omissions; some are obvious some go unnoticed except by experts. The sign of a good manufacturer is to admit error and correct mistakes. I designed life support equipment ;so I had to be especially careful I did not injure or kill anyone with my products. Regards

. About six months ago I started becoming a little disillusioned with the quality of the paintwork on their wwii figures.

The Pershing crew also delivers on this...they no way can compare to the excellent CS Easy 8 crew done a few years ago. The tank itself is quite good, not ideal...but given it's my only Pershing in 16 years of collecting I'm not complaining too much! The .50 cal was a big issue on the Pershing thread, but it must be a single incident I'm guessing because mine turned out OK. Hopefully it will be an easy issue to fix for JBonzo. Don't like the rust obsession but looks like CS wants that to be their signature. Certainly a model which represents cut corners from early models, but thats the way it is everywhere. It still came out a good product with several key sexy features...the open/close hatch options & doing it in a way that is robust to handling. Figarti does this but with such delicate hinges it gives me elevated blood pressure every time I open/close them.

I don't think anyone doubts that CS have certainly been massive in this hobby using innovative enhancements to figures and AFV's and, have done it at an excellent price point. Hell, even here in the UK you can still pick their AFV's up at £125!! astonishing really in the mental age sorry, the golden age of collecting!!

That does not mean they have not had issues but, for me it is more of a recent thing in terms of quality (I am not talking detail etc that is different) It does seem to be the move to the US that has mirrored this decline. I have to say that I have seen it more in the figures than the AFV's and, noticed it sharply with the Berlin series. The standard LAH troops in black uniforms have not been affected but, the WWII figures have.

I still think everything upto Market Garden was a no brainer and was bought and now I am quite selective on what I buy. The recent Jeep and glider section looked excellent and was bought but, others in that range were not so good.
Mitch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back