RAF Mingaladon Burma has some new tenants...... (1 Viewer)

Manila soldier

Corporal
On the outbreak of war against Japan in Dec 1941 the 3rd Squadron of the American Volunteer Group (AVG) - the "Hell's Angels" - arrived at RAF Mingaladon , outside Rangoon, from Toungoo.
The AVG Tomahawks and the RAF Buffaloes of No 67 squadron used separate intersecting runways and shared an Ops Room....

It just "wasn't cricket"...…..

best
Andrew

IMG_2838.JPG

Great looking diorama and story Andrew.

Steve

Hi Andrew,

When I thought that you could not improve on the "Improved Japanese Airstrip" concept, you create something similar but with RAF in Burma. I absolutely love it!

What's unique about this variation (aside from RAF), is your selections of figures, including Neville Duke, a nice addition I might add. I could not help to notice your airplane mechanics; are those custom from the Marine Corps set? The blue hat is a nice touch for RAF.

I'm also trying to find that airplane. Looks fantastic with the background which blends in the whole scene nicely.

Top notch scene with some very nice photography/close-ups. I think I like this picture the best, which shows your entire diorama. Well done! {bravo}}

attachment.php

EDIT: Oh, I just located this version of the P40 (AF018). I have the desert version. Excellent!

Thanks for the kind words Rob. Appreciate the time taken to pen the comments.....

Mechanics are AF006 ......long ago retired.
But no customization was required as the kneeling mechanic came with blue cap.
I have not questioned that before , but now you mention it , that is a bit strange. But works well for this dio.

Overall......i think theres a good overlap between north africa raf range and war in asia ranges.......and more so for the army.....just paint desert helmets green.

Best
Andrew
:salute::

Hello Andrew,

Excellent display. very eye catching.

I like the rice fields and rice terraces as backdrop. really outstanding.

Thanks for sharing.

All the Best, Raymond. :salute::

Nice to hear from you again Raymond.......hopefully catch up again at the K&C event in singapore towards the end of the year.

The terraces are pictures of Batad , close to Benaue, in Mountain Province Philippines.

Best
Andrew

Very much looking forward to seeing these and the other dios at the Hong Kong toy soldier event. Also quite excited about the BBQ and the beer 😂😂😂

On the outbreak of war against Japan in Dec 1941 the 3rd Squadron of the American Volunteer Group (AVG) - the "Hell's Angels" - arrived at RAF Mingaladon , outside Rangoon, from Toungoo.
The AVG Tomahawks and the RAF Buffaloes of No 67 squadron used separate intersecting runways and shared an Ops Room....

It just "wasn't cricket"...…..

best
Andrew

View attachment 246561

Erm. This one will be on show right?

Hi Darren,

Yup this one is on show. Have now fully transitioned from manila to hk and counted 31 dios now set up in hk mancave. Ran out of room for my winter germans and anzacs but one cant have everything.

While we are on line..... let me throw out an invitation to any Treefrog TS enthusiasts in hk or visiting from SEA....saturday 18th May BBQ at my house in Stanley on the South Side a few of us are congregating. All colllectors of all shades are most welcome. Just ping me on treefrog or whatssap me on + 852 98576283 and i will send u setails and reserve a place.

Best
Andrew
:salute::{sm4}

Users who are viewing this thread

Back