Reality check ! (2 Viewers)

uksubs

Lieutenant Colonel
Just thinking about the price of the new Hawker Typhoon £362.00 witch includes great paint job & rockets then you see that Corgi are making a 1/32 scale diecast twin engine fighter bomber for £125.00 make you think {eek3}^&confuse

Neil.
Lots of thoughts come to mind.

What twin engine fighter bomber do you mean ? Is it a Mosquito ? How many in the production run ? Can they make other versions from the same mould ? How many outlets in the world sell Corgi compared to K&C ? These questions have a major impact on production costs and pricing.

Do they have figures, vehicles and buildings that can go with it in a diorama ?

Regards
Brett

Neil.
Lots of thoughts come to mind.

What twin engine fighter bomber do you mean ? Is it a Mosquito ? How many in the production run ? Can they make other versions from the same mould ? How many outlets in the world sell Corgi compared to K&C ? These questions have a major impact on production costs and pricing.

Do they have figures, vehicles and buildings that can go with it in a diorama ?

Regards
Brett
Well Brett it is a Mosquito made in China but you can buy them all over the world and it come with a crew of two + bombs, think there work well with k&c figures

Last edited by a moderator:
I have solved the problem. I collect both. Unforntunateley, Corgi doesn't produce 1/32 planes with much frequency.

Looks like they have available:

P-51
Spitfire
Hurricane
BF-109
Mosquito

Looks like a nice plane.

Probably still available somewhere but I note the Corgi main site has none in stock and the two biggest hobby shops in Oz (one of which is the Corgi agent) have no Corgi 1/32 aircraft listed. Doubt I will get to see one in the flesh. Probably easier to find in the UK.

I note it was of a plane that did not make it back from the Amiens raid. Good to see the crew remembered and always nice to know why they picked a particular version.

Regards
Brett

Just thinking about the price of the new Hawker Typhoon £362.00 witch includes great paint job & rockets then you see that Corgi are making a 1/32 scale diecast twin engine fighter bomber for £125.00 make you think {eek3}^&confuse

Myself and many others understand and sympathize with your frustration with these prices uksubs. It can sometimes feel like we're being excluded from a hobby we thoroughly enjoy. For myself I'm considering looking at different scales for airplanes because at 1/32 scale they are just too expensive and take up way too much room. Perhaps owning just a few "must have" K&C warbirds is the answer. I got the Spitfire back in the old days ( like 6 months ago :p ) when they were relatively cheap at $185.:rolleyes: I'll probably get a BOB Me-109 and maybe a P-51 in aluminum colour and that's probably it for me, anything else will be smaller scale. The warbirds are really just an excuse for me to buy the USAAF, RAF and Luftwaffe figures. Anyhow chin up mate! {sm0}

I usually stay away from this topic, but I have to say, the price on this plane definitely took me by surprise. It is becoming "cheaper" to chase the vintage oldies than it is to collect current models. It is starting to get to price points for current models that are just too high for me!

TD

Myself and many others understand and sympathize with your frustration with these prices uksubs. It can sometimes feel like we're being excluded from a hobby we thoroughly enjoy. For myself I'm considering looking at different scales for airplanes because at 1/32 scale they are just too expensive and take up way too much room. Perhaps owning just a few "must have" K&C warbirds is the answer. I got the Spitfire back in the old days ( like 6 months ago :p ) when they were relatively cheap at $185.:rolleyes: I'll probably get a BOB Me-109 and maybe a P-51 in aluminum colour and that's probably it for me, anything else will be smaller scale. The warbirds are really just an excuse for me to buy the USAAF, RAF and Luftwaffe figures. Anyhow chin up mate! {sm0}
Great post , think the day of me in this hobby are up I'm sorry to say :redface2:

Price increases have been explained by rise in Chinese labor and freight costs. :rolleyes2: Those figure painters must be living pretty good by now!

Based on previous price increases I was wondering if price would stay below $350 with this edition. KC obviously saw their new warbird line was seriously under priced when the first Hurricane offering was sold out.

Great post , think the day of me in this hobby are up I'm sorry to say :redface2:
Sorry to hear this, but I understand. Collecting matte figures is becoming a rich man's hobby. I have cut way back on matte and will return to some glossies as a more affordable alternative. -- Al

As raw materials and labour costs have increased, are increasing and will continue to increase the inexorable rise in prices will continue. Like it or not that the situation we have to contend with. Whether or not the Typhoon is "worth" the asking price is for those who wish to add it to their collections to determine. We all have to juggle our collecting strategies to match our resources/space etc and each will respond in different ways. I find that I am buying fewer models and being alot more selective in what I add to my collections. I am sure many collectors will perhaps make the Typhoon and its associated figure models their primary purchase for the rest of the year. My concern is that these limited production runs put too much pressure on such collectors, who are faced with the difficult choice of "buy it now" or loose it forever.

As raw materials and labour costs have increased, are increasing and will continue to increase the inexorable rise in prices will continue. Like it or not that the situation we have to contend with. Whether or not the Typhoon is "worth" the asking price is for those who wish to add it to their collections to determine. We all have to juggle our collecting strategies to match our resources/space etc and each will respond in different ways. I find that I am buying fewer models and being alot more selective in what I add to my collections. I am sure many collectors will perhaps make the Typhoon and its associated figure models their primary purchase for the rest of the year. My concern is that these limited production runs put too much pressure on such collectors, who are faced with the difficult choice of "buy it now" or loose it forever.

Unfortunately yes I agree ,,,difficult choice of "buy it now" or loose it forever,,,{sm3}
Mario

Maybe it's time to start production in the USA !

A good idea to look at moving production out of China. Those Chinese painters must be rolling in money now if you believe the stories!:)
Seriously though look at Trophy Miniatures- who doesn't love em and they were from Wales!
Go to the London show and you'll see fantastic figures from the UK and many other countries not just China!

So have we come full circle again to the point where people believe this is just a greedy move by K&C? can't believe anyone who is even modestly informed in world events can look at whats going on out there and not understand this for the most part. Be angry about it? maybe, but to think that K&C pricing is not based on making a modest profit (oooh badman! making a profit, Ooooh!) paying a payroll and overhead, Really??? this is sad, just make your choices and get on with it!

So have we come full circle again to the point where people believe this is just a greedy move by K&C? can't believe anyone who is even modestly informed in world events can look at whats going on out there and not understand this for the most part. Be angry about it? maybe, but to think that K&C pricing is not based on making a modest profit (oooh badman! making a profit, Ooooh!) paying a payroll and overhead, Really??? this is sad, just make your choices and get on with it!
I thought this forum was about talking about the hobby :rolleyes2:

Re: Reality check ! Hurricane V Typhoon

Hurricane $159 or £147 released in Oct 2009
Typhoon $369 or £362.95 in July 2011

USA 43% rise in 20 months
US 40% rise in 20 months

the Hurricane was the first to be released, the prices above tell a story.
Is the Typhoon worth 40% more than the Hurricane, it is bigger and has rockets, but is this worth it? I have no problem with making a profit, i have too, but I think they will be putting a lot of collector off buying.

I also think that K & C are going through a change and are trying to reposition the brand as a quality product, therefore they are cutting production and increasing prices to re-enforce the quality and rareness of the brand.

cannot blame them but collectors pay the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back