Restoration of a Hichliffe RHA Gun Team c 1815 (3 Viewers)

Here the assembled horses, so now on with the painting ....

RHA 15.jpg

and here is some more work to be done ..... Hichliffe guns..... but no gun crew as yet ??

guns.jpg

John

Ooh I like your 6 inch mortar!

And here it is being moved into position .....

mortar_sml.jpg

The gun crew are by Alexanders Toy Soldiers.
I asked Nk from ATS to supply me with a group of gunners I could use with these Hinchliffe Mortars, and this is what he supplied.
I didn't want a crew firing, so this is something different that other makers don't do.

John

This is going to be my biggest project for the year so far.

Last year I bought a set of 5 x Hinchliffe RHA horse and drivers on eBay from a local seller. It was a 'real good' price even though they looked awful, but I could see the potential under the dirt and dust.

View attachment 260964
John

It's finished :) :)

RHA 16.jpg

From that initial set of broken figures, I've added a new draught horse, mounted officer, limber, gun and standing driver to complete this task.

I have really enjoyed showing off my work, and getting some nice feeback for you all.

Thanks for taking the time to look and comment, and I hope this has inspired other to take up tools, brush and paint, and bring more 'pieces of lead' into 'life'.

John

Excellent finish!! and you can't beat a artillery team for the wow factor! {bravo}}

Jeff

Great work John! Congrats on the great work.....seeing the parts from the original pics and seeing them now.....:salute:::salute:::salute::

Spiffing stuff John.

It has been an education and a treat to follow this thread.

Cant wait for the next one!

Great work John! Congrats on the great work.....seeing the parts from the original pics and seeing them now.....:salute:::salute:::salute::

Thanks Luiz,

remember this is a 'trial run' before doing the same work on your 1915 version :)

I have gained some valuable knowledge into the assembly, rigging and problems, so yours should be easier for me to do, and the drivers are much simpler painting :)

John

Oh, I forgot to say that I hope to get 2 x RHA Gunners to ride on the limber !!

I haven't seen any Hinchliffe coming up for sale on eBay, nor in suppliers I use, but Fusilier do make a similar set, and Mark Turner says he can help with them....

riders.jpg

I hope to get them sent over from UK soon, but with air mail flights severely cut back, that could take a month or three, but I'll add them to the limber and so revise this thread.

John
John

Great work,John.It has been a pleasure to follow this thread to see your work unfold.I just wish that you had painted the horses as chestnuts rather than bays as Wellington had asked for the Chestnut Troop of the RHA to be sent to him in the Peninsular.Well done that man.

Great work,John.It has been a pleasure to follow this thread to see your work unfold.I just wish that you had painted the horses as chestnuts rather than bays as Wellington had asked for the Chestnut Troop of the RHA to be sent to him in the Peninsular.Well done that man.

Thanks for your comments, and Yes, I did realise about the colour of the horses, but it's the best match I could find. At least I didn't have black or greys !!!!

John

Thanks for your comments, and Yes, I did realise about the colour of the horses, but it's the best match I could find. At least I didn't have black or greys !!!!

John

Far be it for me to give advice to someone of your skill and experience,but I have found that Humbrol No 62 enamel (called Leather)gives a good representation of a light chestnut horse.I think the colour should be called New Leather,as it is the colour of new harness(as seen in a saddlery) which darkens very quickly with use and exposure to the elements, horse sweat etc.I have done several horses with this.If I knew how to post pictures here,I could show you some examples.Regards,Tony.

As a follow on to the gun team, I have recently assembled and painted 3 RHA gunners to man the gun.

load.jpg

These are only gunners at the moment, but I have a complete set of 7 castings,

crew.jpg

still on their card, and the terrain base, to complete, but that's another project.

JOhn

'' ..just a shame they dont do much fit for the 7YW although the 13" Land Mortar is dated from 1760 and there is some Prussian cannon I believe (?)''

Sorry, I am a bit late catching up with this thread. Just browsing, and saw a reference to "7YW". That will always get my attention.

I believe that the only gun remotely connected with the 7YW made by Hinchliffe was the Austrian 6 Pdr. I have a couple in my collection. They are very forlorn, as they don't have crews. Am still waiting for the crews.....

To the best of my knowledge and belief Frank Hinchliffe did not do any Prussian guns. For Prussian guns and Crews of the 7YW you must go to (1) Ulrich Puchala, (2) Helmut Peipp (3) Rylit. There are some Rylit 7YW Prussian guns on eBay, as we speak. "Roseminiatures" on eBay had the Puchala gun and crew on eBay a matter of a week or so ago.

Happy Collecting,

Oberstinhaber 1

It has been a few months since I posted anything on this thread, but the post has finally got through Border Security, and my 2 RHA Seated gunners have safely landed from UK.

They didn't need their mandatory 2 weeks in quarantine like other overseas arrivals, therefore they are out of the box, out of the packets, onto the workbench and stating to get their 'lick of paint' so the complete my gun team.

The figures were supplied by Mark Turner of Fusilier Miniatures in the UK, and will match in nicely with the rest of the detachment.

rhaadd1.jpg
Castings before assembly.

rhaadd2.jpg
Assembled and fitted to the limber before undercoating.

More to come this weekend ...

John

Now the gun team if finally completed, with the 2 seated gunners assembled and painted and seated on the limber, talking with a standing driver.

rhaadd3.jpg

Here you can see the whole set, and later this year i hope to make a textured terrain base to display this work.

RHA1815.jpg

Thanks for following this project, and maybe I will post others as clear up my 'load of lead' :)

John

I have been working on a few carriages and figures from the old Phoenix Model Development line of 45 years ago. These kits are little pieces of jewelry. If there is any interest I will start a new thread but first I need to figure out how to load photos. Comment as appropriate
(test photo is from a scratch Knox Artillery sled, irmie risley cannon, Andrea oxen, and modified Phoenix and El Fuego figures and. britians dog. In 54mm). Hoping the photo takes
IMG_0340.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back