Retired Pieces (2 Viewers)

This topic comes up from time to time. I am a free market thinker and whatever it brings, it brings, both ways. What I don't like is the constant whine that I sometimes hear from folks who cry they missed something, etc or they get mad b/c it is worth more than when in production and they expect to pay the original price when it consistently sells for 1, 2, 3 or whatever times the original price. Also, how about all of the "can I get a deal pleas" you see. Hey, I don't fault anyone for making an offer, you just have to realize the other person doesn't have to accept it. Just like you can offer a piece for sale, but you might not find a buyer willing to pay your price!

I can only really comment on the way I choose to do things - when I am seeking items, if they are rare and I want it, then I do my best within my means to buy it. I have paid a kingly sum for certain pieces in my collection especially Russian items. That said, I have also paid a kingly sum for original K&C Paper Mache bldgs. I have bought Metal Shed items. I have paid quite handsomely for a K&C Beatles set that originally cost $100. Is it a problem that it has traded between 500 and 1000? No, that is what it is. Point I am making is that it is hard to fault people who are in business, they want to make a profit and they are entitled to make as much as they can. The same can be said for collectors who finance their own collections through the hobby. I do that, it is hit or miss. I have bought somethings at auction that I get my money back, other things 10x , etc. There is no guarantee. For me, the buy/sell and seek/find is all part of the thrill ride of the hobby for me.

One point you also have to remember about dealers and resellers - they are taking a risk. They are putting their capital out there and they have no guarantee at how much return (if any) or how long it is going to take to sell.

And of course, like others I am sure, I have given items away to friends in the hobby, I have also sold items to friends. My rule is if I sell to a good hobby friend, I charge them what I paid. That is sometimes high and sometimes low, but it is a rule I stick by whenever possible and whenever I have memory and records.

Just my 2 cents.
Tom

Funny story about the Beatles Sergeant Peppers lonely hearts club band set; a well known East Coast dealer (no introduction needed) and I were talking in his room in Chicago a number of years ago, he says "Oh by the way, you sell K & C right, any clue what this set is worth, I found it in my warehouse"..................

I was floored "Um, do you have any idea what you've got there??.............It's worth 800.00 to 1000.00"...............he comes back with "Oh really?? Thanks for the information"...........a few days later we're at the bar drinking after we closed our rooms so I say "How did you make out with that Beatles set?"........he comes back with "I sold it to a guy for 800.00 cash..................thanks for the pricing advice, let me buy you a beer."

What a saint.

I could have been an assclown and told him it's worth 100.00, let me take it off your hands..........but I don't roll that way.

But............................;).

Toddy:

Your thoughts really sum up what I think most people feel about the sale/acquiring of retired items.

Best,
Jason.

Thanks Jason......as we all know it can be a bit challenging tracking down some retired items, however I think that's part of the fun of collecting.

I've also found over the years it also draws collectors together who might otherwise never have the opportunity to connect with one another, even if living miles apart or in different countries

Cheers

Funny story about the Beatles Sergeant Peppers lonely hearts club band set; a well known East Coast dealer (no introduction needed) and I were talking in his room in Chicago a number of years ago, he says "Oh by the way, you sell K & C right, any clue what this set is worth, I found it in my warehouse"..................

I was floored "Um, do you have any idea what you've got there??.............It's worth 800.00 to 1000.00"...............he comes back with "Oh really?? Thanks for the information"...........a few days later we're at the bar drinking after we closed our rooms so I say "How did you make out with that Beatles set?"........he comes back with "I sold it to a guy for 800.00 cash..................thanks for the pricing advice, let me buy you a beer."

What a saint.

I could have been an assclown and told him it's worth 100.00, let me take it off your hands..........but I don't roll that way.

But............................;).

Love it mate, 'assclown'. ^&grin

That's my word for the week and going to try and inject it into every conversation I have with the never ending array of idiots I stumble across each day.{eek3}

Well said Tom!

This topic comes up from time to time. I am a free market thinker and whatever it brings, it brings, both ways. What I don't like is the constant whine that I sometimes hear from folks who cry they missed something, etc or they get mad b/c it is worth more than when in production and they expect to pay the original price when it consistently sells for 1, 2, 3 or whatever times the original price. Also, how about all of the "can I get a deal pleas" you see. Hey, I don't fault anyone for making an offer, you just have to realize the other person doesn't have to accept it. Just like you can offer a piece for sale, but you might not find a buyer willing to pay your price!

I can only really comment on the way I choose to do things - when I am seeking items, if they are rare and I want it, then I do my best within my means to buy it. I have paid a kingly sum for certain pieces in my collection especially Russian items. That said, I have also paid a kingly sum for original K&C Paper Mache bldgs. I have bought Metal Shed items. I have paid quite handsomely for a K&C Beatles set that originally cost $100. Is it a problem that it has traded between 500 and 1000? No, that is what it is. Point I am making is that it is hard to fault people who are in business, they want to make a profit and they are entitled to make as much as they can. The same can be said for collectors who finance their own collections through the hobby. I do that, it is hit or miss. I have bought somethings at auction that I get my money back, other things 10x , etc. There is no guarantee. For me, the buy/sell and seek/find is all part of the thrill ride of the hobby for me.

One point you also have to remember about dealers and resellers - they are taking a risk. They are putting their capital out there and they have no guarantee at how much return (if any) or how long it is going to take to sell.

And of course, like others I am sure, I have given items away to friends in the hobby, I have also sold items to friends. My rule is if I sell to a good hobby friend, I charge them what I paid. That is sometimes high and sometimes low, but it is a rule I stick by whenever possible and whenever I have memory and records.

Just my 2 cents.
Tom

You guys never met Capitol Ron, an early member here. Quite a character.

Sounds like you may have some stories? ^&grin

I'm not saying the value shouldn't increase, I think that's one reason to collect. Retired pieces and hard to find pieces should cost more. It made it easy with baseball cards and comic books because you had a price guide or a large group to base prices off of. We don't have that with the TS community so we either put them out there for what we think they should be worth or what we think the most another collector would pay for the piece.

I just bought a retired piece from Brad (jazzeum) and the price was more than fair.

Last edited:
Sounds like you may have some stories? ^&grin

I'm not saying the value shouldn't increase, I think that's one reason to collect. Retired pieces and hard to find pieces should cost more. It made it easy with baseball cards and comic books because you had a price guide or a large group to base prices off of. We don't have that with the TS community so we either put them out there for what we think they should be worth or what we think the most another collector would pay for the piece.

I just bought a retired piece from Brad (jazzeum) and the price was more than fair.

Thank you and glad it arrived and you were pleased.

Some stories indeed about CR.

Good point about baseball cards and other card products like Pokémon. When you go on eBay, because they sell in large quantities, eBay shows you how much they sold for. With toy soldiers you can check sold auctions but because you’re dealing with a smaller base of collectors there may or may not be recent sales. Pricing is a bit haphazard.

I don't think Capitol Ron ever got his Seminole Indians made that he wanted so much for KC to make.

Last time he was on here was June of 2015.Did he get out of the hobby or perhaps passed away?
Mark

Last time he was on here was June of 2015.Did he get out of the hobby or perhaps passed away?
Mark

I believe he quit the hobby but he still has his own lobbying firm and is active on Twitter. People on Twitter usually have a bio identifying themselves. This is CR’s.

Last edited:
Glad to see he's alright. I see Harry on PF once in a while.
Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back