ROM110-ROM114 Imperial Roman Testudo (1 Viewer)

I would have to do this VERY gradually due to the cost.......I just hope FL makes enough of these....I would not want to start one and then not be able to complete the project.

I remember seeing this from some of the high end Russian manufacturers. One can only imagine how much it would cost comprised of connoisseur level figures. This release opens it up to a far wider collector base.

Frank

LOL ... adding every couple of weeks another row might work :wink2:

I like your thinking Jason !

Oliver

Oliver:

I will let you know how it goes and perhaps post some photos of the progress.

^&grin

-Jason

I'm waiting for these fellas to attack my barbarian fort that I put together. Still needs a lot of work but here is a quick shot so far.

Not for the faint of heart, money wise. But sure is better than the Russian pieces for the testudo years back.

The way I look at is it is just like a series. For example there are 18 Iron Brigade figures. If I purchased all 18 at one time that would be over 1k. So I purchase a few at a time until I get them all. That way the pain is not so great :)

The way I look at is it is just like a series. For example there are 18 Iron Brigade figures. If I purchased all 18 at one time that would be over 1k. So I purchase a few at a time until I get them all. That way the pain is not so great :)

Brad:

Great post.

For myself, collecting piece by piece is more fun.

-PA

2160 $ for a testudo? {eek3}....Good luck!

$2160???....I must sadly agree....If this was in my game plan I would need to collect this gradually (a couple at a time) over the course of 2 years at best....Like I said before if the product "remains available" it's OK by me but if it's produced in very limited quantities I would not want to start a gradual purchase game plan that I could not complete due to lack of product....I usually don't like to collect a range that slowly..... it would just be a financial necessity for me at that cost.

Last edited:
I think First Legion have put thought into the edition size of the new Roman figures used to build whatever size Testudo a collector would choose to build. The figures are not listed as extremely limited which puts them at a production of over 500 of each. I would think this should give collectors a pretty long time to build their Testudo at their own pace, which is comforting to guys looking to build one. I'm looking forward to seeing them put into action, great looking figures no doubt. regards Gebhard

7 at a time for now. I know I want the formation 5 wide so the front 5 are already ordered in addition to 1 right flank and 1 left flank figure. Sometime in the month of Sept. I'll order 7 more. 2 more flanking figures and 5 interior. I'll probably keep adding 7 every month or 2 until the testudo size that I want is reached. I'll have to see when I get the figures but I'm curious if a wedge formation could also be constructed from these figures.

Comparision with "old" Imperian Romans. Obviously there are some color and size differences. I think make more sense to complete a small "turtle" rather than using these figures as reinforcements in between the old ones.
IMG_0147.JPGIMG_0148.JPG

Comparision with "old" Imperian Romans. Obviously there are some color and size differences. I think make more sense to complete a small "turtle" rather than using these figures as reinforcements in between the old ones.
View attachment 159399View attachment 159400

The different thickness in the bases probably does not help, but I imagine that it becomes very hard for any TS mfg. to be absolutely, always be consistent in size, scale or sculpting, when runs are done with months or years in between, factories that are switched, and new sculptors and painters that are constantly turning over, month to month. I do not own any product from this company, because of the pricing structure, but any collector would marvel at the quality of these figures..and would be tempted..^&grin Michael

The size difference is quite noticeable which is a bit discouraging. Much in part due to the thickness of the base. I have also noticed that there appears to be less shading on the tunic, more gold trim on the helmets and a tad more attention to detail on the previous imperial releases. Blending is not a problem for me at this point. In fact I think they fill the ranks rather well if positioned appropriately. If I get a chance I'll post some pics later. Overall I'm pretty pleased with the end product. Of course I wish they could be an exact match with previous releases but as mentioned new factories, painters etc.... probably play a big part. I only have 7 thus far but will continue to keep adding on until I reach a decent size testudo.

I was just wondering if anyone who collects the Roman line has put one of these together or are in the process.
Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back