Romans!! (1 Viewer)

Thyer

Private 2
I cranked out a Roman over the last couple days, and here he is. The last one is the 'centurion' figure I will paint next. I wish Nick would have taken his time on releasing the add on sets and done a proper centurion, aquilifer, and archer. But I'll take them nonetheless. I thought the Romans would be quick to paint, but with all the detail on the armor, the shield, and the sandals, it took longer than I thought. He was fun to paint, good detail...these guys are large, 58mm+?, and kinda lacking in dynamic (computer sculpting), but all in all decent figures.

I think you did a bangup job on him, Thyer - particularly like the job you did on the eyes. Just really getting into painting my larger scale figures myself and always waver about how much "white" of the eyes to paint, or not paint. I think you nailed it on this guy. Great job! Definitely brought him to life. Looking forward to seeing your next figures.

Great paint job!^&cool I,m not crazy about the pose on that TSSD Roman though,He seams in to stiff of a pose to be throwing that spear! The sculptor should have made the pose with more of a throwing action to look more realistic. The pose just looks way to STIFF for me. You did a great job on the paint though and hope to see the rest of the set painted up.^&cool

Great paint job!^&cool I,m not crazy about the pose on that TSSD Roman though,He seams in to stiff of a pose to be throwing that spear! The sculptor should have made the pose with more of a throwing action to look more realistic. The pose just looks way to STIFF for me. You did a great job on the paint though and hope to see the rest of the set painted up.^&cool

Absolutely Fish - that's because a human didn't sculpt them - a computer did! The barbarians are much better as they were sculpted by a human - it makes a huge difference.

I agree on the styling. Don't know if computers are the wave of the future or not. These are nice looking figures - if a bit stiff. Unless someone can figure out how to get more "life" into the results I don't see human sculptors being in danger of extinction yet.

Good of Nick to try something new. I'm gathering it was cheaper too, which is fair enough. The word 'stiff' is the one I'd use though. Indeed, I was a bit disappointed, as I was expecting them to have the same sense of motion pretty much all of the other sets have. I thought the heads on some Barbarians were a bit small? This said, they all seem to paint up very nicely! Well done to those who've done so and posted pics - thanks!

Finished off the Centurion, he turned out pretty nice! Here's the 2 barbs and the 2 Romans all together, and some mixed shots with a few Conte Romans for comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back