Sammys eastern dio. (1 Viewer)

attic_david

Private 2
This is the first of a series of posts describing the progress of Sammys diorama I am doing for him.
This is just a taster really, showing you the centre piece of the display-

the Church of St George is an Early Christian red brick rotunda.
It was built by the Romans in the 4th century and it is the most wonderful shape- all the curved walls will be so eye catching and unusual- I can't wait to start.

David

Attachments

• 800px-StGeorgeRotundaSofia.JPG
    800px-StGeorgeRotundaSofia.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 723
Oh my David, can't wait to see it get started!!! that church is going to be something special, look forward to more pics soon...Sammy

Nice one!
Ta for agreeing to show us the progress, will be good to see a master at work (no pressure David :D).

It will be nice to watch it all come toghether
Mitch

Sammy...

How is the dio coming along??
Mitch

Hi Mitch,

Actually starting to come around nicely, David emailed me some pics the other day and hopes to have them up soon, he is in the early stages of the two destroyed buildings, I'll see if I can upload the pics he sent me, has not started on the church yet, but no rush here, David is working on a few projects at the moment so all in time...Sammy

OK, guys, here are the first sets of pics from my First Legion Eastern front dio, as you can see both buidings are in the early stages of work, after David completed the construction of the buildings which look great, he then started the small detail of windows/ floors/paster/brick, now the paint is just a under coat, early stages of painting at the moment, the real painting detail is next which will really being the buildings to life, then it's on to the destroyed church.

this completed diorama will be on display at the London show in December if anyone wants to get a closer look at Davids work, NOT FOR SALE:).
I will post more pics as David sends them to me...Sammy

They didn't show up right, so I'm going to try again to post the pictures

Ok let me try again.

ecw003-003-Copy.jpg

ecw004-004-Copy.jpg

ecw002-002-Copy.jpg

ecw001-001-Copy.jpg

sammi2001-001.jpg

sammi2002-002.jpg

sammi2003-003.jpg

Sammy...

Coming along very nice these look very good
Mitch

Now David is going to start on this best part, the church which I hope is as good as the buildings!! then finishing up the ground work and off to London it will go, take me some pics Rob with some First Legion troops in it so I can get some ideas:)...Sammy

That is great work by David. Sammy, you must be getting very excited. These will go beautifully with you Stalingrad collection.:cool:

I guess we know what you're getting for Christmas Sammy. I'm not sure how you're going to be able to wait :eek:

I guess we know what you're getting for Christmas Sammy. I'm not sure how you're going to be able to wait :eek:

It's weird that the fellows on the other side of the pond will get to see it before I do, but the wait will be more then worth it, when it finally arrives here in time for Xmas morning!!!...Sammy

David does top shelf, jaw dropping work, entirely scratch built, easy to deal with, a pleasure really and a terrific person to boot.

If you are considering any sort of one off display, he's the guy for you.

I own several pieces that he has done for my 20mm collection, recieved a spectacular piece from him awhile ago that I will be putting to good use soon, watch the dioramas section the next couple of days or so..............

David does top shelf, jaw dropping work, entirely scratch built, easy to deal with, a pleasure really and a terrific person to boot.

If you are considering any sort of one off display, he's the guy for you.

I own several pieces that he has done for my 20mm collection, recieved a spectacular piece from him awhile ago that I will be putting to good use soon, watch the dioramas section the next couple of days or so..............
Whaaat, could it be, does he have practice then in doing the area south of France????:eek::D:cool:

Thanks for Sammy for putting the photos up. Sammy is right that everyone at the London Show in December will see it first but I will be doing some photos for him before the show so hopefully that will keep you going Sammy until you get the parcel before Christmas.

It has been difficult to save the church until last because I think it will be the real eye catching piece of the layout- all the curved walls and brick work should look great. I was going to make it very bombed but I think I will leave it pretty much intact other than the roof and the windows that will be blown out. I have found some individual clay pantiles in the right scale so I can really go to town on the roof to make it look on the verge of collapse.

I hope to have it done the week before the show so I have no last minute panics so there should be more pictures in the next 10 days or so. This plan will then leave me time to re create the scene on First Legions Crusader box lid so we can have an eye catching display for them. Hopefully more details nearer the day.

David
TMTerrain

Thanks for Sammy for putting the photos up. Sammy is right that everyone at the London Show in December will see it first but I will be doing some photos for him before the show so hopefully that will keep you going Sammy until you get the parcel before Christmas.

It has been difficult to save the church until last because I think it will be the real eye catching piece of the layout- all the curved walls and brick work should look great. I was going to make it very bombed but I think I will leave it pretty much intact other than the roof and the windows that will be blown out. I have found some individual clay pantiles in the right scale so I can really go to town on the roof to make it look on the verge of collapse.

I hope to have it done the week before the show so I have no last minute panics so there should be more pictures in the next 10 days or so. This plan will then leave me time to re create the scene on First Legions Crusader box lid so we can have an eye catching display for them. Hopefully more details nearer the day.

David
TMTerrain

No Problem posting the pics David, send me some more when you have time, I am as well looking forward to the church, as we have talked about the church for sometime now, if it looks as good as the other buildings I'll be thrilled, but actually I think it's going to be even better, can't wait to see all of your dios you are working on for the London show, wish I could be there in person, maybe one day, thanks again for the great work...Sammy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back