San Pablo on a budget... (3 Viewers)

maddadicus

2nd Lieutenant
For those members, that do not frequent the K/C section...For under $75.00, I was able to build this ship from scratch..I made it as a sternwheeler, and as a wood clad, so that I could use it, as a Sudan, Zulu, colonial era backdrop..I hope that REAL K/C SAN PABLO could be recreated for a reasonable price, or else the new line, will die with the handful of sailors offered...Remember, armor and add on vehicles fuel the popularity of WW2. Pricing a ship right, might fuel the market ,for cannon, maxims, chinese saipans, hand to hand sets..etc..Michael

Attachments

• 000_1844a.jpg
    000_1844a.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 528
  • 000_1849.JPG
    000_1849.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 890
  • 000_1847.JPG
    000_1847.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 565
  • 000_1846.JPG
    000_1846.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 546
Michael,
Do you have the plans? I would like to attempt building something similar. Perhaps a small KNOX Class or a PT boat. Great job on yours. I am jealous.
:D

Michael,
Do you have the plans? I would like to attempt building something similar. Perhaps a small KNOX Class or a PT boat. Great job on yours. I am jealous.
:D

These are totally scratchbuilt from basic wood and craft store products..The hardest part about a PT would be to make an appropriate hull...Michael

nicely done,,would like a good source of fittings etc in the large scale.

Congratulations Michael. A beautiful boat. It's nice to buy stuff, but when you make it yourself, there's a special feeling.

Tell me, who are the sailors on the boat made by? They look like gloss to me?

The sailors are Dorset. They also offer the deck gun and maxim and gatling MG's with crews.Michael

Michael,
TOday, I started to build a scratch built USS SAN Pueblo from the pictures of the K&C model. I only have the Main Deck and the 01 level cut out so far but I am strating on the superscructure. I made it 24 inches long and 11 inches wide, so it is big. THe superstructure is 17inches long and 11 inches wide. I am planning on making the two superstructure decks about 3.5 inches tall. I will keep you informed as my project develops. Thanks for the inspiration.
Lou

Michael,
TOday, I started to build a scratch built USS SAN Pueblo from the pictures of the K&C model. I only have the Main Deck and the 01 level cut out so far but I am strating on the superscructure. I made it 24 inches long and 11 inches wide, so it is big. THe superstructure is 17inches long and 11 inches wide. I am planning on making the two superstructure decks about 3.5 inches tall. I will keep you informed as my project develops. Thanks for the inspiration.
Lou

If you would like any advice for completing your ship, please do not hesitate to ask...Michael

Once I figure how to post pictures, I will. So far, I have two parts of the superstructure build. I will try to post pictures this weekend. Perhaps once posted, you guys could give me some pointers on how to speed up the process. Thanks for the encouragement.

Once I figure how to post pictures, I will. So far, I have two parts of the superstructure build. I will try to post pictures this weekend. Perhaps once posted, you guys could give me some pointers on how to speed up the process. Thanks for the encouragement.
It is dead easy using photobucket. See the instructions in the thread link below for example. You can have you photos up in no time.
http://www.treefrogtreasures.com/forum/showthread.php?p=159907&highlight=photobucket#post159907

For under $75.00, I was able to build this ship from scratch...

Hi Michael,
I've missed this thread so far. Great boat!
But I'm afraid that in your $75 budget you forgot to include some material : great talent !
Regards, Michel

For those members, that do not frequent the K/C section...For under $75.00, I was able to build this ship from scratch..I made it as a sternwheeler, and as a wood clad, so that I could use it, as a Sudan, Zulu, colonial era backdrop..I hope that REAL K/C SAN PABLO could be recreated for a reasonable price, or else the new line, will die with the handful of sailors offered...Remember, armor and add on vehicles fuel the popularity of WW2. Pricing a ship right, might fuel the market ,for cannon, maxims, chinese saipans, hand to hand sets..etc..Michael

Michael:

Execllent job! Your one of the few of us collectors that could have pulled it off.

Carlos

I actually had this photo saved, at one time, as well as others found on the web...Can I build one, yes. Some of the features ,I actually modeled into my Sudan version. My biggest problem is that the larger the ship, the more my lack of proper woodwork tools and carpentry skill shows. Because I limit the size of my ships, I am able to buy already preformed craft bits to cover up my shortcomings. The reality is that a ship 24" long and 6" wide could easily pass as a reasonable substitute. As long as the scale purests can chill out, KC could professionally produce a trimmed down version at a fair price...The San Pueblo is not really one of my war eras, and if I did build a close to version, it would only be because I just love you guys:D...Michael

I actually had this photo saved, at one time, as well as others found on the web...Can I build one, yes. Some of the features ,I actually modeled into my Sudan version. My biggest problem is that the larger the ship, the more my lack of proper woodwork tools and carpentry skill shows. Because I limit the size of my ships, I am able to buy already preformed craft bits to cover up my shortcomings. The reality is that a ship 24" long and 6" wide could easily pass as a reasonable substitute. As long as the scale purests can chill out, KC could professionally produce a trimmed down version at a fair price...The San Pueblo is not really one of my war eras, and if I did build a close to version, it would only be because I just love you guys:D...Michael

Michael,
Make it the HMS Forester!!!!! The only gunboat in the AZW theater of ops , and only one to open fire on shore combatants with a Naval Gatling!! I triple-dog dare you!

Michael

We value your talent, skills and ingenuity in tackling these boat projects. The rest of us are all at sea so to speak:D

Randy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back