San Pablo on a budget... (1 Viewer)

Michael,
Make it the HMS Forester!!!!! The only gunboat in the AZW theater of ops , and only one to open fire on shore combatants with a Naval Gatling!! I triple-dog dare you!

I looked and could not find a photo..I need to see it...Was this a turret ship? Michael

I looked and could not find a photo..I need to see it...Was this a turret ship? Michael

Michael,
I have made an exhaustive search for any photos of this boat.. I don't believe there are any . I may be able to find another in the same class and I'll post. It has been a two year search for me at this point...Not many sources mention it in theatre, but it was absolutely there!
Mike

Michael,
I have made an exhaustive search for any photos of this boat.. I don't believe there are any . I may be able to find another in the same class and I'll post. It has been a two year search for me at this point...Not many sources mention it in theatre, but it was absolutely there!
Mike

I have found it to be an Albacore class gunboat. I did find a nice site that you may or may not know about...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_gunboats_and_gunvessels_of_the_Royal_Navy not so sure about linking, but you probably could deciper this gibberish..Michael

Michael,
It is a Forester class single screw composite gunboat built in 1877. She had four main guns,displaced 455 tons, 470 horse-power, and 10 knots speed. Her length, beam, and draught were 125ft., 24ft., and 10ft. Here are photos of sisters Firefly and Foxhound of the same class built by the same company in the same year.
Mike

Attachments

• hmsfireflympl3085.jpg
    hmsfireflympl3085.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 82
  • hmsfoxhoundmpl3086.jpg
    hmsfoxhoundmpl3086.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 82
What's 125feet in 1/32 scale? And Michael, don't get bogged down in the masts and rigging...It was all for show. Some old Admirals would never trust coal or steam and demanded auxiliary sail (like a shirt on a pole on a raft).
Mike

What's 125feet in 1/32 scale? And Michael, don't get bogged down in the masts and rigging...It was all for show. Some old Admirals would never trust coal or steam and demanded auxiliary sail (like a shirt on a pole on a raft).
Mike

Using my converter it is

3' 10&7/8"

Using my converter it is

3' 10&7/8"

Scott,
A wee too big... I was thinking no more than 20-24inches or so. I guess it's how it's all put together and not the mere scale. Another possibility would be one of those Ant-class small GB's as used in the Egyptian theatre? They are small & ugg, but carry some serious Gat!
Mike

The Sudan gunboat would be more sexy..If I can find a precast hull, I will try to do the Zulu boat. Sailing type ships are a little harder to represent. Michael

Some HMS gunboats of tHE 1870'S era..Gadfly , Albacore, Firefly.....Michael

Attachments

• gadflyclass.jpg
    gadflyclass.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 80
  • hmsalbacore.jpg
    hmsalbacore.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 78
  • hmskite.jpg
    hmskite.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 92
The Sudan gunboat would be more sexy..If I can find a precast hull, I will try to do the Zulu boat. Sailing type ships are a little harder to represent. Michael

Michael,
I hear you! Did you glance at John Reid's Ship of the Line Thread?:eek:
It is obvious that you know this website but I'll post anyway for others interested http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/r_n_gunboats.htm
How about the no class HMS Stuanch from 1867 with barrage gun. Take a look at the size of that gun! Must have been a seige vessel.

Attachments

• hmsstaunchmpl3082.jpg
    hmsstaunchmpl3082.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 83
Love it or hate it...I will be making this puppy...EL FATAH, commanded by William Beatty of the future battle of Jutland Sea fame...I already have the hull and sternwheel made. I just need to make the upper works..I will try to do a show and tell....Michael

Attachments

• elfateh.jpg
    elfateh.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 81
Michael,
Good for you! I'll be on board! How about the lifeboat/launch? Whatcha gonna do for dat? :confused::cool:
Show and Tell will be a treat!
Mike

Michael,
Good for you! I'll be on board! How about the lifeboat/launch? Whatcha gonna do for dat? :confused::cool:
Show and Tell will be a treat!
Mike

My first instinct for the life boat would be to get a block of balsa and cut/sand it for look. Add a canvas cover and should seem close enough after painting...Michael

This looks like it's going to be a good one Michael. I can't wait to see the thread on this little beauty !!!!!!

Love it or hate it...I will be making this puppy...EL FATAH, commanded by William Beatty of the future battle of Jutland Sea fame...I already have the hull and sternwheel made. I just need to make the upper works..I will try to do a show and tell....Michael

Well if it's as good as your last one I can't wait! :)

Jeff

I will start to shop at the craft store today. I will build this one from scratch since the color scheme is different from my existing ships..Wife wonders why we have large ships stored all over the house.:rolleyes:..Michael

I will start to shop at the craft store today. I will build this one from scratch since the color scheme is different from my existing ships..Wife wonders why we have large ships stored all over the house.:rolleyes:..Michael

Looking forward to the new thread.

PS goodies on the way:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back