Selecting another collection (2 Viewers)

rharry

Private 1st Class
I keep asking myself if I was going to start another collection what series would it be??? I have decided if I did it would be WWl. Something about them I like........Anyone else have these thoughts..:rolleyes: Hope I am not the only one:eek:

I like the WWI series also and it had crossed my mind to collect them. So many great figures from William Britain makes it hard to choose.

If I could aford to I'd collect matte WW1 from britains aswell but I'm already streched to thin with my Britains Redcoats, Matte Zulu War & K&C WW2 lines. I do really like the WW1 line by britains as I used to collect there glossy premier line a few years back.

Craig

I don't think anything personifies Britains more than glossy WW1 figures. Their matte WW1's are exceptional as well- industry leader imo.

If I could aford to I'd collect matte WW1 from britains aswell but I'm already streched to thin with my Britains Redcoats, Matte Zulu War & K&C WW2 lines. I do really like the WW1 line by britains as I used to collect there glossy premier line a few years back.

Craig

Do you have all of the WWI glossies Craig?

Good choice on the Britains WW1. Absolutely the best WW1 figures on the market. I have posted many times on how well done the early war figures are, especially the French cavalry. I like all the figures although I have not purchased the later war figures, yet. I also have several of the older Premier glossie sets which I think are top notch, as well. There is no denying the charm of the WW1 figures in gloss and the realism of the matte. -- Al

WWI is a great idea especially since there are several ways to go in collecting this line. You could certainly just go for the Matte offerings which are without a doubt stunning. Then there is the Glossy line which if you want could take you down the path of the Premier Line, again a line that is amazing because it covers field and ceremonial aspects.

Personally I have some of the Glossy sets including the tank and I think you would be very pleased with them. You can also do a combination collection for this war and start with the glossy sets and go year by year with the Matte sets in there as well. I think the recent series of figures done for 1914-15 are just amazing and if I had the resources I would be in there in a heartbeat!.

Now another line I would suggest merely as point of interest is the new War along the Nile series. The sculpts are amazing and the painting is excellent it is also a series that has just started so you dont have to go down the road seeking long retired sets on ebay and elsewhere at really off the wall prices. So its a series I personally am collecting and think there is enough time to get the bulk of the offerings without breaking the bank.

Great question!

Dave

I'd like to go back and revisit some of the past series and collect them.

Here is my wish list :-

1. Golden Jubilee HM QEII
2. Scots Guards presents...
3. Glossy Durbar
4. WWI matte
5. Napoleonics
6. Circus
7. Farm range (the newer Home Farm range they made)
8. Cherry pick from all of the line from 1893 and up :p

I think that should about do it for now :D

Now another line I would suggest merely as point of interest is the new War along the Nile series. The sculpts are amazing and the painting is excellent it is also a series that has just started so you dont have to go down the road seeking long retired sets on ebay and elsewhere at really off the wall prices. So its a series I personally am collecting and think there is enough time to get the bulk of the offerings without breaking the bank.

Great question!

Dave

Good point.

Question- has Britains ever done any Ancient figure lines? Ie- Rome, Persia, Greece, Egypt, etc

Good point.

Question- has Britains ever done any Ancient figure lines? Ie- Rome, Persia, Greece, Egypt, etc

They have never done a full series of any of them, there have been Greek and Egyptians soldiers done in the hollowcast line and there was a "Roman" line done in plastic consisting of a mounted officer, 6 foot soldiers and a chariot.

That's tough. My several paragraphs may make some think I'm crazy. This could be a one word answer. but it is not that simple for me. I have given it some thought. The biggest problem for me is that I like military history as a whole, although, and of course ACW is my favorite, for history and toy soldiers.

The easy thing for me is WW2, but I have already begun that, somewhat. So that does not answer the question.

Napoleonic would be the second thought. But ACW tactics are so similar that it would take on the same view as what I already collect.

Some of the Western/ American Indian war figures are cool. I have some 30 year old Indian figures that I love.

I really like the Samurai era as well!!

BUT I like the Roman/Ancient Greeks/ Medieval time too!!

OK...I do not know!!!!

They have never done a full series of any of them, there have been Greek and Egyptians soldiers done in the hollowcast line and there was a "Roman" line done in plastic consisting of a mounted officer, 6 foot soldiers and a chariot.

Thanks for the informed response- anyone know or heard any reasons why??

Having retired a year ago and with my wife retiring at the end of the year I have decided to downsize my collecting interest to just Wm Britain ACW and the anticipated offerings from Ken and Erica Osen at Hudson and Allen. As much as some manufacturers new lines have spurred my interest (JJD WWI bi-planes, Conte NW Frontier, WB War in the Sudan, et al) I have decided to discipline myself and stay the course with just my WB ACW enjoyment. With that said, I have decided not to continue to add to any other existing lines I have such as my K&C Crusaders, US Navy, USMC, and SOHK and more than likely will be divesting myself of these non ACW lines in the coming new year. I just don't have the room for everything I want nor do I have an endless flow of $$$ - boy where have you heard that before. Anyway, I have more than enough to play with with my ACW figures and sets and by concentrating only on these I will make my collecting "habit" a lot more simplified and controllable ;)
:) Mike

Do you have all of the WWI glossies Craig?

Not all of them yet Scot. I still keep an eye out at the shows for those elusive ones which are mostly the Charles Biggs sets released after he stopped commissioning them for Britain's.

Craig

hi guys,

Its interesting that they havent done a lot in the Ancients line especially back in the 1960s when they went to plastic deetail and did do some. They probably werent as popular as you would have thought even with all the muscle bound Jason/Hercules Movies running at the time. Heck even K&Cs line of recent history isnt as popular as I would have thought given the Movie/TV interest in Rome and 300 and Troy, Spartacus,etc. I guess some things just are too far back for most modern collectors, especially with Napoleonics and Sudan and WWI et al to consider.

Still a great question that has brought up some really interesting points and other eras worth considering.

Dave

Thanks everyone for their answer......I guess everyone enjoys "window shopping" hope I can follow Mike's self control:eek:.. So far so good...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back