Should I go boxless? (1 Viewer)

Sgt. 403

Private
I recently saw an offer for several K&C figures grouped together for sale, at a good price, but without the boxes. One is a retired figure I've been looking for. Any recommendations on if it's worth it? I searched the posts and found a thread where someone stated about 25% of the value is the box. Does that seem to be the case? Second question, the grouping of figures contains 1 I already have. Any thoughts on selling the 1 I have in the box to make some money back, or would it be better to try and trade the boxless figure for another boxless figure? Thanks for any thoughts.

I think the thing is that if you buy a set with a box,always keep it. But if you just buy a set that you like and it doesn't come with box, just go for it and enjoy the figures,thats how I'd do it.

Rob

I think the thing is that if you buy a set with a box,always keep it. But if you just buy a set that you like and it doesn't come with box, just go for it and enjoy the figures,thats how I'd do it.

Rob

I have to agree with Rob, I have a few figures that are unboxed. As I have no plans to sell, the boxes don't matter to me.

"Me, too!"

If the boxes are there, great, if not, no biggie. Like Scott noted, unless you're planning on selling, they're really not that important.

Secondary consideration is storing figures when not on display, but there, too, you don't necessary need the factory boxes. I find that Jersey Shore salt water taffy boxes are a convenient size for 54mm foot figures.

Prost!
Brad

Don't worry about the boxes, particularly if it's an older item. I have plenty of K & C figures where I don't have the boxes. The key is to get the figure. The box only becomes somewhat important for resale. Resale might be affected by the age of the figure. For example, I have the Rommel Staff Car without box. If I should sell it I don't think the lack of a box will have a great impact on final sale price. On the other hand, if I had a more recent item like the Greif without a box, price could be affected to some extent.

I agree with the rest. Don't worry about the resale value if it is a piece you want, box or no box. -- Al

I have to say that has someone who recently had to shift all their boxes - I hate the whole idea of their role in the value of a piece.
I never care if a piece is boxed or not on the secondary market (provided of course, that the piece can be shipped safely). In fact I know I am going to get it cheaper when it is not boxed.
It seems so arbitrary that we care at all, not to mention the physical space they take up. On a final, and quite depressing point, boxes only seem to serve as reminders that at some point, eventually, our collections are going to be sold off.
:(

(Unless you are like me and plan to go the whole pyramid/ sarcophagus route. Who ever dies with the most toys wins!)

If it is a good price and the figure is in good condition and you really want it, the lack of a box should not be a major concern.

I do keep all my boxes (storage space permitting) - just in case I have to sell my figures for whatever reason. In those circumstances, no harm stacking the odds of making a good sale in your favour. But I am not sure about 25% of value being attached to the box - seems like a lot.

As with almost any other collector hobby Mint and boxed is vital. Its alright hoipng that an older item will go for the same amount without as with but, every collector I know wants it boxed in its original state.

K&C may as well issue all collections in the old fashioned white or greem boxes but, won't because of the fact that collectors prefer individually boxed or specific to that set. The Winter SL tiger has gone for many hundereds of pounds but, I saw one sold without the box and it went for just under its original retail.

I would never buy unboxed but, thats my preference its all about what makes the collector happy.
Mitch

Gentle Friends,

I find this discussion to be very meaningful and I appreciate the various points of view. Essentially, I agree with Rob, Scott, Brad, and others. For me, the most important factor is the acquisition of the figure or set. I adopt the position that you usually get what you pay for. If the box adds to the value of the figure, then it stands to reason one can obtain a boxless figure for a smaller capital outlay. That is to say, the figure without the box should, in most cases, be cheaper. I would also argue that there are instances in which a figure may become available so rarely, that obtaining it without the box when you have the opportunity is better than not obtaining it at all.

However, having said the above, I do see value in obtaining and keeping the boxes. The valid arguments I see for the acquisition of the boxes are:

1.) If you are concerned about the resale value of the item, having the original box is a plus.

2.) If you are attempting to build a near perfect collection, having the box may be personally important to you.

3.) Having the original box allows for much easier storage of figures and sets.

4.) Having the original box facilitates much greater ease and organization when packing your collection for a potential relocation.

Once again, I will repeat my general perspective which is: You usually get what you pay for. For the budget minded collector, purchasing the figure for a lesser price may be a significant consideration.

Warmest personal regards,

Pat :)

i often go boxerless ..... i notice its cooler and by chance its called going commando:)

Dear Pat,

Thank you very much for an excellent articulation of the case for boxed sets and figures.

I like Point #2 in Paragraph 2 of your post which has personal resonance for myself.

My preference is to acquire mint or near mint sets/figures with the original boxes, foam inserts and certificates if any.

It is just my personal style of collecting. I like as near a complete product as issued by the manufacturer.;)

I am less concerned about resale value, but fully agree with your points on organisation, inventory and storage.

Best Wishes, Raymond.:)

You need the boxes when you move house.
That is the most important issue for me.

Gentle Friends,

I find this discussion to be very meaningful and I appreciate the various points of view. Essentially, I agree with Rob, Scott, Brad, and others. For me, the most important factor is the acquisition of the figure or set. I adopt the position that you usually get what you pay for. If the box adds to the value of the figure, then it stands to reason one can obtain a boxless figure for a smaller capital outlay. That is to say, the figure without the box should, in most cases, be cheaper. I would also argue that there are instances in which a figure may become available so rarely, that obtaining it without the box when you have the opportunity is better than not obtaining it at all.

However, having said the above, I do see value in obtaining and keeping the boxes. The valid arguments I see for the acquisition of the boxes are:

1.) If you are concerned about the resale value of the item, having the original box is a plus.

2.) If you are attempting to build a near perfect collection, having the box may be personally important to you.

3.) Having the original box allows for much easier storage of figures and sets.

4.) Having the original box facilitates much greater ease and organization when packing your collection for a potential relocation.

Once again, I will repeat my general perspective which is: You usually get what you pay for. For the budget minded collector, purchasing the figure for a lesser price may be a significant consideration.

Warmest personal regards,

Pat :)

Excellent post Pat.

I keep all the boxes for my figures. I have bought a few single figures but have been very lucky to acquire the correct boxes for them later

Cheers

Martyn:)

When I began collecting a few years ago, I trashed the boxes in favor of a more compact foam carry case. I have regretted it ever since.

The bayonets and rifle grenades were immediate casualties. So, for me, the space saving concept was not worth the peril in which I placed my collection.

I wouldn't permit the lack of a box to stop me from buying a figure I wanted, but if I had the box, that's the safest place to store it. Jürgen

I like to get some boxless figures so I can boost my armies since they are a little cheaper.

Dom

Hi all,

This is a good discussion we have here.

From owner's perspective:
---------------------------
It seems that storage space permitting, it would be advisable to keep those boxes. I think the 2 reasons of potentially better resale value and effective/efficient packaging for storage and/or relocation are enough to present a convincing case for retaining the boxes.

From purchaser's perspective:
------------------------------
Collectors do see the attractiveness of figures coming with their boxes. However, if the figure is much desired and is in good condition and the price is right (perhaps discounted due to boxless) - it should not stop one from acquiring.

Cheers :cool:

Bottom line if you want it for resale, get the box. If you want it for you GO FOR IT! The boxes are handy for storing the figures though. But then you have to store the box.

It was an oversight on my part not to mention the importance of boxes for collectors who live in tropical climes with high temperatures and humidity.

Thusfar, I have not been able to find any authoritative articles on the effect of high temperatures and humidity on displayed figures as in dioramas etc.

It is obvious that figures should never be exposed to direct sunlight for long periods of time. I think high temperatures per se are not as deleterious as high humidity.

Victor (Blaster) and I had a discussion on this topic in Bernard's (Cardigan600) thread re: "The Importance of Boxes" so time back, but I think the discussion was not conclusive.

I tend to keep my collection boxed in my belief (? erroneous) that the figures especially paintwork are better protected this way.

Does anyone have any input on this ?

Thanks, Raymond.:)

Without being pedantic what is the point in having a collection if you are going to keep it boxed? I have friends who live in hot climates but, have no problem with figures dio's etc. Keeping them in the sun as with anything will allow fade over time. I want mine out and, although they are not touched by bare hand (I wear gloves when moving studying cleaning) I am not overly worried about climactic issues over the paints either through humidity or cold.
Mitch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back