SOOHK with new HK209 Racing Boat (1 Viewer)

Iron Brigade

Command Sergeant Major
I just picked up my newly just issued K&C Streets of Old Hong Kong set# HK209 "Champion Racing Boat" and it certainly seems to add something to the harbor area of my about 84 by 29 inch display area. I have taken #5 photos to show the racing boat going across the harbor area of our SOOHK display. I thought of ordering both of the new racing boat sets (sets HK 200 & 209), but this one boat will do for now. As about 90% of my Streets of Old Hong Kong sets are in gloss I ordered and secured this HK209 set in gloss finish. Anyone who has a harbor area as part of their SOOHK display may wish to consider getting one or even both of these new K&C Hong Kong Racing Boats. Lastly, does anyone know what the flag on the racing boat says? See five photos below.

"Iron Brigade" / Gary

Forum1.jpg

Forum2.jpg

Forum3.jpg

Forum4.jpg

Forum5.jpg

Gary,

Thank you for sharing the detailed photo's...this is a must for me and the gloss looks so good! I'm curious how the fine pieces on the nose are attached and what they are made of?

Markey

Gary,

Thank you for sharing the detailed photo's...this is a must for me and the gloss looks so good! I'm curious how the fine pieces on the nose are attached and what they are made of?

Markey

MakkeytMaker":

Thank you for your comments. Yes, this racing boat is a slendid set!

"Iron Brigade" / Gary

Not my line of collecting,but you have to admit that's impressive looks great mate.

Hi Gary,

Excellent.....the boat looks terrific with the "streets" in the background.

If not for the cost, I would suggest adding HK200 as well.

I was drafting my email message to you when yours "Inboxed".

....so I knew I had to check the forum statim.

All the Best, Raymond.:)

Gary,

Thanks for the photos. I have the same version being delivered next week but in matt for my wife’s SOHK collection. Nice model and looks better in a display. ^&cool

Thanks. :smile2:

Jeff

what a great display!!! I really like the boat and will go for a matt version as my second SOHK piece.
Mitch

My thanks to "Wayne556517", "Glossman", "Aujj65" & "Mitch" for all of thier splendid comments!!!!

"Iron Brigade" / Gary

I just picked up my newly just issued K&C Streets of Old Hong Kong set# HK209 "Champion Racing Boat" and it certainly seems to add something to the harbor area of my about 84 by 29 inch display area. I have taken #5 photos to show the racing boat going across the harbor area of our SOOHK display. I thought of ordering both of the new racing boat sets (sets HK 200 & 209), but this one boat will do for now. As about 90% of my Streets of Old Hong Kong sets are in gloss I ordered and secured this HK209 set in gloss finish. Anyone who has a harbor area as part of their SOOHK display may wish to consider getting one or even both of these new K&C Hong Kong Racing Boats. Lastly, does anyone know what the flag on the racing boat says? See five photos below.

"Iron Brigade" / Gary

View attachment 96831

View attachment 96832

View attachment 96833

View attachment 96834

View attachment 96835

Wonderful diorama and great photography. I just love the set. Rumor has it that I might just be getting the same set for Father's Day so I am keeping my fingers crossed. However, I have no such dio to grace it with. Yours is truly remarkable.

I have just received a wonderful HK set that I have wanted for a long time. Watch for the thread in a minute.

Ludwig

Gary,

Fabulous display, to say the least.

I just showed your thread to my wife, who is Chinese, and she says the banner means Number 1 Dragon Boat. The word on the drum beater in the boat is win.

Brad

Wonderful diorama and great photography. I just love the set. Rumor has it that I might just be getting the same set for Father's Day so I am keeping my fingers crossed. However, I have no such dio to grace it with. Yours is truly remarkable.

I have just received a wonderful HK set that I have wanted for a long time. Watch for the thread in a minute.

Ludwig

Dear "Bayern" / Ludwig:

Thanks for your very kind remarks of my or I should say "our" SOOHK display as this is my wife's favorite display or diorama. I have just left a posting for your new Forum Thread on your new K&C "Wedding Party" set as well. And I hope you get your K&C set HK209 as well soon! Enjoy!

"Iron Brigade" / Gary

Gary,

Fabulous display, to say the least.

I just showed your thread to my wife, who is Chinese, and she says the banner means Number 1 Dragon Boat. The word on the drum beater in the boat is win.

Brad

Dear "Jazzeum" / Brad:

Thanks for your positive comment on our SOOHK display! Also, thank you very much for your advising me what the banner on the racing boat means in English. I figured either you or "Glossman" / Raymond would give me the answer.

Best regards, "Iron Brigade" / Gary

Gary what a fine addition to yours & your wifes excellent collection of SOOHK!!! I like it in gloss as well its a really nice piece thanks for sharing ^&grin

Craig

Gary what a fine addition to yours & your wifes excellent collection of SOOHK!!! I like it in gloss as well its a really nice piece thanks for sharing ^&grin

Craig

Dear Craig:

Thanks for your very nice comments! Yes, the K&C "Streets of Old Hong Kong" (SOOHK) series is indeed my wife's favorite display. While my wife was not keen on me getting K&C's HK209 set due to it's expense she had to say that it did indeed look really nice in the "harbor area" of our SOOHK display after I secured this set on June 9, 2012 from The Toy Soldier Shoppe in our local area. I think as of now at least that I will not be getting the other Dragon Racing Boat set HK200. Perhaps some other Forum member will be posting some photos of HK200 some day at the Forum?

Best regards, Gary

Dear "Bayern" / Ludwig:

Thanks for your very kind remarks of my or I should say "our" SOOHK display as this is my wife's favorite display or diorama. I have just left a posting for your new Forum Thread on your new K&C "Wedding Party" set as well. And I hope you get your K&C set HK209 as well soon! Enjoy!

"Iron Brigade" / Gary

Thank you as well Gary.

Just love your display. Can I ask you how tall in inches measurement are the storefront back drop pieces that I think are many of the KC pieces? I am going to have another Plexi-Glass cover made for one of my guest rooms where all of the HK and IC pieces are displayed and I am contemplating the height being enough to still use some of these storefront pieces possibly. I have been well traveled in the orient from family; military and business and pleasure, so we did one of the rooms up in the oriental motif. The HK and IC pieces go so well. Everyone comments on them and my wife loves them as well. She was not too thrilled originally with the full suit of Samurai Armor but she got over it. {sm4} ...well, actually only because the grand children were not afraid of it...got luck there{eek3} I do have a bad habit of purchasing things without the Boss's approval if you get my meaning{sm2}

Here are a few pictures and thanks again! Please let me know if you have time on the height!

Ludwig

18AUG10 023.JPG

18AUG10 021.JPG

18AUG10 019.JPG

Hello "Bayern" / Ludwig:

Thanks for your kind comments about the photos I posted June 9, 2012 of K&C set HK209 and much of the rest of our Streets of Old Hong Kong display. I have sent you the data you requested via regular E-mail to you.

"Iron Brigade" / Gary

Gary,
Congratulations on the new addition!! So, how many more are you planning to get to make a racing scene? ^&grin

Gary,
Congratulations on the new addition!! So, how many more are you planning to get to make a racing scene? ^&grin

Dear Lawrence:

Thank you for your comments! Yes, I thought of getting both HK200 & HK209 to have a "racing scene", but I think we shall just go with the one Dragon Racing Boat making a practice run in the "harbor" by it's self. Perhaps you will be posting some photos one day showing BOTH Dragon Racing Boats on your Streets of Old Hong Kong display?:smile2:

Best regards, Gary

I thought I would make some final comments about the splendid K&C HK209 set. If you get K&C's HK209 or the other Dragon Racing Boat, HK200, be very careful when taking figures out of the set box. Each of the 8 figures are wrapped in tissue paper and one can not see where the oars are located on these 6 of the 8 figures and the oars can be bent out of shape. While they can be easily bent back into line you do not want to get the oars too much out of shape. I would suggest using a tooth pick or something to tear off the tissue paper while the figures are still in the box so you can see the figures before removing them from the set box and thus be able to avoid bending the oars.

Thanks to all who have make comments to my Thread on the HK209 addition to my SOHK display and to all those who just viewed the photos I posted.

"Iron Brigade" / Gary

View attachment 96833

Brilliant setup Gary. The Racing Boats are beautiful models, although the price shocked me somewhat. Made me think what the price of a Chinese Pirate Junk, if it eventuates, may be. When Andy first mentioned I started a savings plan in anticipation and was doing very well, but with no news forthcoming I eventually started to use the cash for other things... a couple of overseas holidays and started to dabble in WW1. But, your set up has re-inspired me and SOHK has always been my primary interest. So, now, the dilemma for me... and I have been pondering it for a while, is whether to accept the fact that the Pirate Junk is but a dream, buy at least one of these boats and move on to other things. It's a tough call, this is a magnificent set-up and I could easily find a home for a racing boat in mine, but....

Jules

Users who are viewing this thread

Back